How many doctors does it take to write a prescription properly???

@Loverbear (4928)
It hasn't been a good couple of weeks for me. I have been suffering from my "infection" for over two weeks. I called my doctor at Stanford last Thursday because the infection in my lungs wasn't clearing up. They faxed the prescription to my pharmacy, but they left of important information...WHAT STRENGTH AND HOW MANY ANTIBIOTICS I was to get. I've been waiting since last Thursday for the prescription. The pharmacy faxed and called, I've called several times with no luck. Tuesday I took the prat fall and fractured my vertebrae... so coughing is out of the question simply because the pain from the fracture is stopping all sneezing and coughing so the stuff in my lungs is simply laying there making me miserable. Today I did the follow up with my regular doctor about the prat fall. He confirmed that it was an acute fracture. He also listened to my lungs, told me that I needed antibiotics and scribbled out the prescription. I happily took it to the pharmacy, dropped it off and went about my shopping. About 10 minutes later I heard my name being paged to return to the pharmacy window. Guess what!!! You've got it!!!!! He wrote the prescription but neglected to provide the strength, how many I was to take per dose, how many pills and how long I was to take them. UHHH don't doctors go to school? I mean they couldn't spend 8+ years in training to forget a few of the important things! I have to call his office first thing in the morning, make sure they get the information to the pharmacy asap as one of the neighbors is picking up the prescription for me...I know it sounds silly that the neighbor is picking up the prescription for me, but I live 30 miles from town and 35 miles from the pharmacy. I live in the country and the closest town is the one that is 30 miles away. Any of you have this kind of problem with the doctor?
@manong05 (5029)
I think many doctors have a problem of legibility in writing prescriptions. They are extremely hard to decipher especially by a layman or ordinary person. Interesting, people in the pharmacy, being medical people themselves seem to have no problem understanding them. As if medical people have their own language and writing methods. I wish a law will be passed that all prescriptions must be written legibly. have a nice day
• Mexico
I think that's because they want to make the prescriptions too fast that they don't care the way they write.
• Mexico
Hi: It's not only you. I have some problems when my doctor's write the prescription but in my case it's about the way he writes! Nobody can't understand his letters it's so annoying. One time i almost received another prescription that seems to be what my doctor's wrote, fortunetly i notice the mistake before i left the room
@ElicBxn (60894)
yesterday the roomie discovered a sore on the bottom of her foot - I looked at it and told her to call the doc - he said she had a "diabetic foot" and wrote out some instructions - he brought them over to me and went over his writing (typical bad handwriting) with me the nice thing about this doc's office is they EMAIL the script over to the pharmacy!!! That's about the greatest thing since sliced bread! and they don't leave stuff off!
@Loverbear (4928)
That is such a wonderful idea. Unfortunately California is way behind the rest of the US in things like that. Of course I would need to go in to teach my doctor how to do "the net". He wants to learn how to use the computer, but doesn't have the time to take a class. So they are still doing the fax thing. Plus my pharmacy hasn't gotten into the 21st century...email the prescription? Yeah right. Hope your room mate's foot gets better soon. Nothing is worse than having a sore on your foot and trying to walk on it.
@ElicBxn (60894)
well, my GP doesn't have that - tho they do have a fax, but don't use them much... she went to the foot doc this morning and goes back on monday they have her in a shoe with a cut out to keep the weight off her sore
hi loverbear sorry to hear how ill you have been and how the doctor forgot the most important part of the prescription the amt of the dosage and how often to take it,did he not check to see' that he had covered all the bases before giving it to you, how very careless,its bad enough with their hard to read 'handwriting but to leave out the pertinent facts is'unforgivable. I have been very lucky with my doctor and I guess that is why I have stuckwith him for so many yeArs. even his handwriting is fairly'readable. My problem was with one of the pill pushers here in our retirement center who misread my doctors prescription to be the pills for only one week when I knew he had said two weeks and it was on his prescription,they copied it but made the num ber two into a number one,they had to call him and he told them I was right it was for two weeks and because they did not give me the extra week now I have to take these for a whole month so you can bet I was onto them to see that they give it to me for 30 days. this time it was A nurse who goofed. but it is still no excuse. I hope you do get your pills as you really need them. good luck
@Loverbear (4928)
My neighbor was a real sweetheart and picked up the prescription for me Friday. I'm on the darned things for the next two weeks to clear up the infection in my lungs. I just hope it didn't spread to my knee. I had a total replacement in June and the one thing that is stressed is that infections can spread to the replacement and you have to be careful of any infections. I have been with the prescribing doctor for 25 years! I didn't feel too good when I went in, as I usually check the prescription and make sure everything is there. Of course the one time I don't feel like doing it is the time he forgets the important stuff. Of course I shouldn't complain, he still can't spell my last name after 25 years.