WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY DEWALI-(2)--Legends Of Deawli

Happy Dewali - According to the legends Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth, was incarnated on the new moon day (amaavasyaa) of the Kartik month during the churning of the ocean (samudra-manthan), hence the association of Diwali with Lakshmi. From that day she is worshipped as the symbol of wealth and prosperity.
Hello Everyone here Ji, In my second successive trial I would like to introduce you with "Legands' of Dewali as it falls on 17-10-09 this year as below:-[b]"Legends of Diwali Diwali, signifies as the festival of lights, which celebrates the abundance of autumn harvest and is dedicated to various gods and goddesses. The festival also marks an important date in the Hindu calendar, as according to legends the kingdom of Ayodhya celebrated the coming of Lord Rama after a long exile of fourteen years. The festival celebrates the coming of Lord Rama. The tradition of lighting diyas and candles dates back to history when the people of Avadha lighted diyas through out the kingdom to show way to their beloved Prince Ram, wife Sita and brothers. It is celebrated as the victory of light over darkness and good over evil. Diwali also celebrates the power of the three goddesses, Lakshmi, Kali and Saraswati. Dhanteras is dedicated to Lakshmi, whose blessings are essential for a prosperous, fruitful and peaceful life. Kali-Chudash (the day before Diwali) is dedicated to Goddess Kali whose blessing gives us the strength to maintain the wealth we have. Strength, physical, mental and spiritual, is essential for all of us to lead a happy life. Diwali itself is dedicated to goddess Saraswati. Knowledge is the ultimate wealth, for it cannot be stolen from you; it is also the ultimate strength, for it often defeats brute force. There are various legends associated with the festival of Diwali. Some of the famous legends are as follows: According to the legends Lakshmi, Goddess of wealth, was incarnated on the new moon day (amaavasyaa) of the Kartik month during the churning of the ocean (samudra-manthan), hence the association of Diwali with Lakshmi. From that day she is worshipped as the symbol of wealth and prosperity. It is also said that on this very day Lord Vishnu rescued Goddess Lakshmi from the prison of Demon king bali and for that reason Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped on the day of Diwali. According to another legend Lord Krishna Killed the demon king Narakaasur on the day preceding Diwali, and rescued women from his captivity. The celebration of this victory of good over evil and celebration of freedom went on for two days including the Diwali day. According to the great epic 'Mahabharata', it was 'Kartik Amavashya' when the Pandavas returned after twelve years of banishment. The people of their kingdom who loved the Pandavas celebrated the day by lighting the earthen lamps and by welcoming them. The celebration of Diwali is also associated with the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana and returning back to Ayodhya his hometown. The people of Ayodhya decorated the entire city with the earthen lamps and illuminated it to welcome their loving prince his wife and brother."[/b]May God bless You and have great time.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Another good post about your festifuls May I ask how long these have been going on? adn what made the people start worshipping these poeple?
Hello my friend Lakota12 Ji, So nice of you for your immediate participation in my discussion and considering appriciable appraoch to our festivals. Let's light the lamp of Joy with our inner feelings among everyone. Dewali is celeberated for five days.These festivals have been marked due to harvesting / victory over evils / arrival of happiness. These festivals keep everyone bonded. I did enjoy even 'Thanks-giving' while I was in US with my hubby. let's enjoy each moment of our life. May God bless You and have a great time.
@Lakota12 (42684)
thanks and yes that sounds like a good idea of lighting a lamp of joy . Can carry that in my mind and heart. and yes out thanksgiving is coming up soo in Nov. So this sounds like they are quite a bet alike in celebrating the harvest!
Hello my friend Lakota12 Ji, Everyone of us celeberate something to feel Joy and find our happiness. May God bless You an dhave a great time.
@zandi458 (27952)
Thank you for sharing the meaning of this great festival. Here we call it Deepavali. We have one day public holiday in respect of Indians in my country. Happy Diwali Day to you and family.
Hello my friend zandi458 Ji, So nice of you for your immediate participation in my discussion and considering appriciable appraoch to our festivals. Let's light the lamp of Joy with our inner feelings among everyone. In fact 'Deepavali' is correct Hindi version for Dewali. So nice of you for correcting me. Thanks. May God bless You and have a great time.
@chaitra001 (3278)
• Bangalore, India
Hi friend you did a great job.. Really nice information.. you have given very useful information.. Even myself dint knew few things.. I got few information from your post.. Happy diwali for you too..
Hello my friend chaitra001 Ji, So nice of you for your immediate participation in my discussion and considering appriciable appraoch to our festivals. Let's light the lamp of Joy with our inner feelings among everyone. You may Log on :- http://www.festivalsinindia.net/diwali/index.html May God bless You and have a great time.
@PeacefulWmn9 (10424)
Hello my friend. The legends behind your celebrations are so interesting to learn! This celebration sounds particularly beautiful, exciting, and addresses such worthwhile things in life. Our individual towns and cities have many harvest festivals...and a good harvest is always cause for celebration! Many blessings to you, Karen
Hello my friend PeacefulWmn9 Ji, So nice of you for your immediate participation in my discussion and considering appriciable appraoch to our festivals. Let's light the lamp of Joy with our inner feelings among everyone. may god bless You and have a great time.