Obama threatens Insurance companies with anti-trust exemptions!

@dragon54u (31663)
This president is really getting heavy handed. 54% of Americans say they don't want his health care plans and yet he'll do anything to shove them down our throats! Now he's threatening to take away the industry's exemption from anti-trust laws if they don't shut up and quit criticizing his proposals. This is not a discussion about insurance reform or anti-trust laws. This is meant to ask if you think our president is over-stepping his bounds and blackmailing his opponents. In my opinion, he is behaving more like a mobster than a president and I resent him ignoring 54% of the population's wishes. What do you think? Do we have a mobster in the White House who will take away our freedom of speech before his term is over?
@nzinky (822)
Frist let me say Obama acts more like a little kid with a new ball who if the game don't go his way he will take the ball and go home......He keeps wanting to shove this health care bill down our throat and he doesn't care who he hurts doing it..you can bet that if he doesn't get his way he will pitch a fit like a small child....... Your right he is acting like a mobster with his bills and he doesn't care who it hurts....If the Cap and Trade bill is passed you can bet our heating bills will go up to where we won't be able to keep our house warm in the winter time and cool in the summer....... He is trying to bully his way through this before they try to impeach him.....I can't understand why congress doesn't start to do it.....Oh I forgot the majority of the congress are Democrates......Just wait till the election this next year.....I have a feeling that things will change a great deal.....
@dragon54u (31663)
I'm voting everyone OUT!! I was thinking today after I posted this about why it's being allowed to happen. The prez has limited powers and Congress has to approve any bills that pass, etc. It's our Congress that is allowing all this! The prez has violated the Constitution repeatedly, where was Congress? VOTE THEM ALL OUT!! That's my mission.
@Taskr36 (13923)
I don't like your tone dragon. I'm forwarding this thread to flag@whitehouse.gov now. You and you're anti-government rhetoric must be stopped you racist. [/sarcasm]
@dragon54u (31663)
OMG, I'm so scared!!! I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up there, though, although this place does seem to have less crazies than anyplace else. When I heard about the flag email thing, I began to be even more seriously worried about the freedoms we've always taken for granted. Thanks for the laugh!
@deebomb (15322)
I'm thinking yes He is very close to being mobster when you look at the crooks he has put in place as zcars. I know that many thing the insurance companies are crooks too He is over stepping the line.
@dragon54u (31663)
The problem is that we have 3 branches of government in order to stop this very thing. Our process is broken. He's gotten away with things he never should have succeeded at. I don't know if we can wait till the elections to vote these bums out, who know what will happen between now and then?! Yes, there are crooked insurance companies and many of their practices are unfair. But changing the entire system is stupid. You don't cut down the apple tree if it has a couple of bad apples.
@deebomb (15322)
Your right about not getting rid of them but we get what we pay for too.
@bestboy19 (5482)
I think he will try to take away every freedom he can.
@dragon54u (31663)
Watch out, this Thursday is a big meeting on what to do with the internet! Obama claims that it should be neutral. He says all the bloggers and opinion sites are reducing us to shouting at each other--he wants the net to be neutral, nobody stating one opinion or the other. Yes, he's trying to take away our freedom of speech and he's already controlling most of the media with regards to reporting his own actions. Pay attention! Use your vote wisely while you still have it and vote out the people who have already served a term. Get some fresh ones in there, get rid of the career politicians that will sell their vote for power or money!
@anniepa (27245)
This is NOT something that is being "threatened" by the President, it's something many member of Congress have been pushing for since long before Obama took office. Perhaps you can tell me WHY the only ones exempt from anti-trust laws should be Major League Baseball and the health insurance industry? Are you fine with there being NO competition in quite a few states which means the insurance companies have no reason to charge lower premiums or to stop some of their practices? Those of you who are so concerned about the insurance companies, do you realize they want there to be more of a mandate for EVERYONE to purchase their insurance and for there to be HIGHER "fines" for those who do not? Annie
@dragon54u (31663)
"threaten" wasn't my word, it was the New York Times' phrasing. I agree that we should be able to buy insurance from companies in other states or wherever we want to. But tearing down the entire system isn't going to solve the problems. Lowering premiums with tort reforms (doctors can lower prices because they don't have to pay so much insurance) and responsible patient involvement would work just as well. People go to the doctor or hospital and ask no questions cos it's not their nickel, after all! Everyone has to work on the problem, but it can't be solved by what the president it doing. I have trouble affording my premiums now and when they increase because of his plan (Congress stated they would), I won't be able to afford it at all. I don't want the "public option", either. That will be like going to a barber to get a tooth pulled, same quality.