a productive weekend!

It's becoming the time, in my area...and with the weather extremes, that the dear little feathered friends are seeking a handout! Time for the birdfeeders to go out! I spent 3 days...4 hours each day attending a Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation course offered here, where I live...as it is a fairly isolated area, and I wanted the knowledge to be able to prolong thier lives until they can get superior care at a Wildlife Centre. Some of the things all of us can do; when putting out all of our feeders; 1. Put the feeder very close to the window, so that when they are startled they do NOT have the momentum/speed to injure themselves! 2. Place netting (from garden centres) over the window closet to feeder, so that they can see it, white is preferable to optimize visability...and works like a cushion if hit. 3. Hang old CD's, ribbon, silver material or something to alert them! 4. If your windows are located, such that they look like a pass thru, clse the curtains of one window. 5. At night, birds have what is called "fatal light attraction" (drawn to lights) so it is wise to close your curtains. If you find a bird that is injured or stunned, place it carefully in a cardboard box or paper bag (making airholes)! Place it upright on it's stomach. Do NOT give food or water! Leave undisturbed for about an in warm,dark, quiet area. If it has rallied, release it...after an hour, if it still can't fly, take it to a rehabilitation centre! I only pass the info about birds along, but we did get tutored on Seals, Deer, Raccoons, etc., all the indigenous species to our area! This demi-course was provided by our Provincial Wildlife Branch...DOES your government make these services available to you? Cheers!
@thea09 (18324)
• Greece
Hi Shirley, I think our birds must migrate before winter as I've never seen any problems with them at all. The Greek government does not provide any animal services as animals here are seen as work animals or food and not pets. There aren't many cows but the ones there are have their legs tied together attached with a rope to their heads. Dogs are left continuall chained up. Goats and sheep appear to have a carefree life and no one runs over tortoises, but take little regard of anything else on the roads. Cats are the growing problem because of tourists and second home owners. They come out and feed the wild cats for a week or two at a time, so taming them, then leave and the cats,or mainy kittens are left to fend for themselves and become a great nuisance as sit in the dustbins scavenging for food and then spreading disease. A lot of people do keep cats but not generally indoors. There are some English who go round feeding the things but they then become a nuisance to businees owners.
I only re-iterated the gleenings from the teaching of birds, as they are the one thing that makes WINTER special....a cup of hot chocolate, and a window seat watching the birds! Only way winter is tolerable, to me! There is a lot of controversy over feeding the birds, taking away their independence....but geez, they don't know it's gonna snow tomorrow, and all their food covered...or that it will be -12C, and they need extra body fat! I am extremely fond of 99.9 percent of Mother Nature's children....they don't seem as fraught with the plagues of Human Nature! We do have a lot of Feral cats, here, too! 65 percent of our population is weekenders...!!! We do have a "Cat" lady, whom at any given time has no less than 100 Feral cats, waiting for immunizations & neutering...they are then released, as they do help with our rodent population! Cheers...and HUGZ!
@JenInTN (27565)
Hi pergammano! I haven' heard of these services being offered here. It would be great to find a class like that though. I'll use some of those pointers for sure. I alreadt have birdfeeders through out my yard just waiting for a sweet little bird. Take care.
Sure wished you could have been here, for this course too, Jen! I only related a few things about birds, but the program was all encompassing...and gave us the ability to triage injuries! Living here, where I do, superior help for injured animals is ALWAYS hours away, as it is a Ferry ride, and a long drive! To me, it is the plethora of birds, in all manner of dress and vocality that makes the winters tolerable....caring & feeding them is as much of my daily routine as getting my firewood in! And in winter, life is a little less hectic, so I can take the time to watch their antics, and marvel at their ingenuity & adaptability! When the weather gets below zero, much of their food is unavailable...and I got this little tip from an ornothologist many years ago...Lge. Pine cones, cover in Organic Peanut Butter, roll in a good quality bird seed mixed with suet and hang in branches. The peanut oil, and suet is like fuel for their furnace, and helps to keep them warm. Nice..so nice to hear from you, Jen! BIG HUGZ!
@JenInTN (27565)
Thank you for the best response! Oh and much thanks for the beautiful e-cards as well..I loved them.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
If they do offer anything programs like this i know nothing about them. U are such a kind person to worry aboutwildlife like u do. Living right in town like i do birds are about the only thing i see.
Good morning ... dearest Jo! Truly, the birds in winter are such a thrill to me! I love to watch them, and after a while you can distinguish ONE from the other! They are so much like people, with their little pecking orders, it's a hoot to watch the little finches gang up, and keep a Soldier bird away from the food! He then seems to go out and get his army....he comes back with his troops, and just sits on the railing, screeching and staring at the little finches! Truly, they are a riot! I deter my cat "Curlew" from an easy meal, by hanging large cones covered in Peanut Butter, Suet & seed, in a many branched Arbutus Limb (Madrona tree in the US)....as he can't jump thru the branches! LUV & HUGZ!
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
GOOD MORNING MY FRIEND, U are such a nature lover & have the opportunity to enjoy it. Your cat & i have something in common my married name was corlew, lol.
@suzzy3 (8362)
We put the feeders up the top half of the garden.We also leave fresh water out all year.I did not know about the birds coming to the lights.or how to put them in a cardboard box with no food.This has been very helpful.We get rabbits and hedghogs which we can take to any vets as they treat wildlife free.I am not aware of any course on wildlife in my area, but all this advise is really great thankyou.
Yes, suzzy, our vets also do "wildlife" rehab for free, and we have many "rescue" centres, as well. But it is important to sustain their lives as comfortably, and less invasive as possible...to get them there! Learning the few basics, like we did, we can triage the injured species, treat & release~~~if possible, and NOT overwhelm the system! I live on a small Island, and the trek to professional help is a Ferry, the car ride...so it can be a long journey! So, if we can intercede, great.....but prevention is even more important! Thanks for replying, and have a great day! Cheers!
I'm not really sure. I see a lot of wildlife outside my apartment complex. Well, not a lot. A fox, some rabbits, some squirrels, and a lot of birds. I like going away to my grandparents home because they have several bird feeders in their backyard. And my grandma has the hardest time keeping the squirrels out of the bird feeders.
My...goodness, Ambie....hope you are comfortably propped up in front of your lap top! How's it going, dear girl? Thot of you lot's yesterday, and prayed you were being taken care of...AND NOT in a lot of pain! I am in LOVE with Mother Nature's children, and do so love to watch them, unobtrusively, of course...it is so heart-warming to watch them happily dining! Is it possible for some-one to add a board, platform to the bottom of the feeders! if it is made quite large, if the feeders are on a pole, the squirrels can't climb under and over without falling off! For trees, I straighten out clothes hangers and hang the feeder from them....the squirrels have no way, of getting down them, without falling off! I know, they need to eat, too....but not others foods, so I leave corn & peanuts out for them! Please take care, dear girl...and I truly hope this is your last operation! HUGZ!
I do not know of any government run programs like this around here. I know of some agencies that offer services for injured wildlife, though. I think you have passed on some really good information.
We do have many, government rehab facilities, but I don't know whether it is progressive thinking or not; they offer these programs to take the weight off their facilities. Educating us helps to relieve their load! I guess, as they say, many hands make light work! And so often, when we think we are doing good...we may be compromising the health & life we, in all good faith, are trying to save! Each of Mother Nature's children we learned about this weekend has a species specific rescue manner, and we were also taught basics for triaging! Very informative...and confidence building! There was only 19 of us whom particpated..so I guess we will be the go to persons! I love my birds....especially in winter when I have time to watch them! Thanks, GardenGerty....and cheers!
@cyrus123 (6383)
We don't have these services in my area. As far as I know, we don't, anyway. This is very good information you passed along. Thank you for posting it. You must be very interested in wildlife. Kathy.
Kathy...I can't imagine this world without Mother Nature's children, and am very sensitive to them! We as humans, have destroyed so much of their natural habitat, that I feel we have an obligation to make it right, and their life a little more harmonious! Because, I live where I do...quite an isolated Island, whatever I can learn to assist & prolong their lives (mostly due to accidents that we have caused---like windows...or vehicles) I make an effort to do. It is a long Ferry ride/car ride to get them to a Metro Rehab centre! Makes me more comfortable, too! Cheers!
Oh, Kathy....I feel like you, there is nothing like having our "shangri-la" chopped up into little postage stamps, and the peace & tranquility we knew as children...now urbanish (is that a word..LOL)! And that leads me to the thoughts of how the animals that once lived harmoniously there feel? And I don't mind admitting, I am a "bleeding heart" when it comes to all of Mother Nature's children! Take care, Kath, and once again, I apologize for being so single minded about Jasper, Alabama....I must have been to Jasper, Alberta...and froze my mind!Cheers!