WARNING!! Exploding glass tables

Australia
October 22, 2009 9:37pm CST
About half an hour ago my mother was outside hanging washing out. There was a four seater glass table right next to her that she rests the washing basket and peg bucket on. It is a sunny day today but not oversunny. I was in the front yard and I heard a huge BANG! I went to the back and found mum standing there in shock and the glass table had actually exploded- just shattered everywhere into thousands of shards of glass. Luckily mum wasn't hurt and there were no cats or dogs lying underneath it like they usually do. So be very careful with glass tables! Mum said this also happened to my aunty a while back. Apparently having teapots or hot cups of coffee and tea can also set it off. BEWARE!!!
9 people like this
17 responses
@Hatley (157339)
• Garden Grove, California
23 Oct 09
coffeeshot hi wow thanks for the warning. apparentley the heat must have made the glass shatter,how frightening and I am glad nobody was hurt, neither your mom or any pets either. I had a glass carafe of coffee explode once 'and we still did not know why but glass and coffee went' all over the room, I burned my hand but stuck it immediately under cold running water and I never had a blister or any pain from it.
2 people like this
@AmbiePam (45687)
• United States
23 Oct 09
Wow. That IS incredibly scary. God certainly had His hand on her and the little critters. It would have been devastating if an animal had been there like you said they usually are. Thanks for the warning. I never would have thought that could happen because of hot drinks continually set on glass tables.
2 people like this
@KrauseHome (33210)
• United States
27 Oct 09
Wow!! This would be scary for sure. I have never heard of anything like this, but that is a Good warning for sure, and one they need to spread around a little more so no one gets hurt, and Good to see no one was hurt as well.
1 person likes this
• Canada
27 Oct 09
Wow!! That is really something. Now I know that I will never ever have a glass table. I did know that putting really hot liquid onto something cold or into something cold (taking a cold glass out of the freezer and pouring boiling water into it) will set it off.
• United States
25 Oct 09
i had heard something about that-mainly older tables that may have air pockets in the glass,i guess the sun makes it expand. i didn't know newer glass was doing it too
@missbdoll (1168)
• Australia
25 Oct 09
I saw something about this on TV here (Australia)a month or two back. Here is was about exploding glass topped outdoor tables, apaently there was a fault in a lot of themThere has also been a peice more recently about exploding glass oven doors. I've never had anything like this happen to me thou, and I've had 2 glass topped dinning tables over the years.
• United States
23 Oct 09
Wow thanks for the warning. We had a large glass table that sits on our deck so Im going to be alittle more cautious now what i sit on it. We also have pets that like to lay under our glas table, would be very bad if animal was under it if it exploded. Happy your mum wasnt hurt!
23 Oct 09
Holy crap. That is scary and I thought glass tables looked so pretty. I am glad your mother and pets are okay! I don't think I'll be purchasing a glass table in future since I am prone to accidents.
@xannebull (1806)
• Philippines
23 Oct 09
oh this is scary, i have 1 glass table in our living area and our dining table is covered with glass table, after reading your discussion, now i am aware that i should be careful with glass table, or i shouldn't put glass table outside.
@jugsjugs (13046)
23 Oct 09
Thany you for the warning as i my friend has aquired one off one of her friends and she has small children,so i will tell her as well as tell her to look at your post on here,she is also on Mylot not that often,but she is on here sometimes.
• United States
23 Oct 09
Wow Thank You That is scarry I am Glad no one was hurt
@paula27661 (15900)
• Australia
23 Oct 09
I have heard on the news of quite a few outdoor tables shattering like that in several places in Australia, I don’t know if it happens anywhere else but it is quite scary not to mention dangerous. I have not heard why this happens and whether it is a particular batch of tables or what the details are. It’s not real good is it?
@williamjisir (22909)
• China
23 Oct 09
Hello coffeeshot. It is so terrible that a glass table explodes. I have never heard about such a case. I am glad that your mom is safe from the explosion. We have a big glass table in our house. It is a good one and we have used for six years since we moved into our new apartment.
@drannhh (15002)
• United States
23 Oct 09
I am concerned about sunlight concentrating on the glass and setting something on fire, too. I love lots of glass in a home but one must be careful. Did you figure out what made that table shatter? Glad nobody was hurt!
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
23 Oct 09
That is weird. I have a glass round table outside but thank God nothing like that has happened to me. Is it from the heat of the sun? If so, my table doesn't have direct sunlight on it. Thanks for sharing though and glad your mom didn't get hurt.
@Emilycyf (61)
• China
23 Oct 09
Thanks to mention! The lucky cats and dogs! haha. Actually I broke a teacup which is made of glass last month. I stayed in library at that time and intended to take the elevator, in the corridor,the glass teacup hooked in my hand suddenly exploded and laid in shatters! so horrible! There is much boiling water in my teacup, fortunately, I am not hurted. Friends, all of us need beware the glass stuffs.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
• United States
23 Oct 09
That's the main reason why I don't have or want a glass table, because they're glass and can very well break or shatter. They're very dangerous. Pretty but very dangerous and not only that, they constantly get dirty and I'd be constantly wiping it to make it pretty. I do have a story to tell you about a coffee pot. I was working at a store one early morning and I didn't know about hot and cold in coffee pots so I had just made a fresh pot of coffee and customers had come in and the pot was really low so I went to rinse it out and refill it to put in the maker and when I got back to the maker, the pot exploded in my hands! The whole bottom fell out onto the floor and I stood there in a state of shock! My coworker told me what I had done, the pot was hot and I had rinsed it out with cold water and had cold water in the pot to pour into the maker and it's why it exploded. It was a huge learning experience for me for I never forgot that!!