Linux vs Windows

I am considering putting Linux on my older computer because I think it will run faster on the older system than windows and still be up to date on the software. I wonder if anyone uses Linux and has any comments between the two operating systems. I see that Linux has several versions and I am still studying them to decide which one would be best for me but I am leaning toward Ubuntu for the moment. Linux boasts that they can interact with windows software or have the equivalent of any type you need for free. They say that all their software is free for the asking. What is everyone's opinion on this that has ever used Linux or still does?
@gmkk1986 (473)
Linux is a very wonderful operating system growing more nowadays with variety of features included in different flavors. As windows is user friendly and now Linux is coming with similar features.. so you can shift to Linux. I prefer Ubuntu as your Linux flavor, which is more comfortable now to all users.
Thank you for your response. I have just ordered a five cd collection of Linux operating systems. I know I can download any of it for free but it was only a few dollars and I have boot up disks of several different versions. I have been researching a little more and I agree with you about Ubuntu and that is the one I am going with first to try. I may put another version on another computer just to play around with the versions. I have an extra pc I can use for this. Thank you again for your response. People like you who respond and give their opinions and advice are what makes mylot such a special place.
@anurag3786 (6275)
I have only used windows..and sometime on my friend's system i used linux also..but i ma habit of using windows..so i faced difiuculties to using in linux..because in linux..there are working by command..so it is dificult for me..but there is a one thing..that in linux..security are very powerful than windows..
Thank you for your response. I have heard that the security features of Linux are the best by far. I wish you had some more info for me on Linux. What do you mean by "working by command"?