How long is the life of an average housefly?

@Trensue (5265)
I can not seem to get him with my swatter and he is driving me crazy - so how long will it take him to die all by himself? It seems like such a minor thing, but really I am seriously BUGGED. If it were not 3:00 am I would wake up the house and get some help to get this seriously annoying fly out of my office.
@Canellita (12059)
Well, it's supposed to be a couple of days but the last one that got in MY house didn't seem to want to die and I couldn't chase it out! Flies are one of the most annoying creatures in existence!
@Trensue (5265)
But the hairspray thing really worked! Who knew?
@Canellita (12059)
Did you use an aerosol or a pump one?
@rodsdman (145)
The hair spray idea is probably your best bet for a quick resolution. I will many times try to get them to go out the window, even if you have a screen there. If you trap them somewhere they cant get any food, they will die in 24hrs. I dont usually have this problem at all though, as I am a master fly killer. I get them with my hands. a rolled towel works well too.
@Trensue (5265)
I don't suppose you want to come kill it?
@rodsdman (145)
no, but let me give you a quick lesson. The reason flys escape is because they can feel the wind comming and just spread their wings and blow away with it, this is why fly swatters have holes in them. The towel works well because the air flow in random and the fly may not get blown out of the path.
@Polly1 (12650)
I don't know how long they live, too long for me. If you don't have any bug spray to squirt him with, you can try hair spray, that will make his wings sticky and then you can swat him.
@Trensue (5265)
Going to get a sample size of hairspray - you are a life saver.
They say the typical life span of a fly is around 8 day's. But I think it's more then that. I had a fly in here for 2 week's. So truthfully I think it's more then 8 day's. I also have seen them spend the whole winter in the shed and wake up in the spring. I know it is the fact they are sleeping for the winter but still. It's annoying the fact that they can live that long. Try catching it in the evening when it goes up to the ceiling. They like the heat on the ceilings.
@Trensue (5265)
Wow - that's a long time.