This One Will Probably Get Deleted...But I'm Still Proud My President is Black!!

@erikmama (12934)
This is a freestyle Jay-Z performed the night Obama took office. Tell me what you think about the lyrics! My President is black,in fact he's half white.So even in a racist mind he's half right.My President is black but his house is all white. People say it is no big deal that he is our FIRST black President,but it really is.We made history.
@Louc74 (620)
Hi, Erikmama. Ok, have you considered how you would have felt if, when Bush (yuck!) was in power, someone had commented "I'm glad my President is white?". There would have, quite rightly, been uproar. I saw on a site a couple of nights ago a comment where an Asian person had stated that asian children were cuter than white children, and all white children were brats! And I said exactly the same thing to them. If we want to tackle racism, it needs to be vetoed whatever colour you are. What you've just said is incredibly racist. It's about time that everything from the past was left firmly in the past so that we can truly move on, otherwise, it's all just going to keep going in a cycle, getting worse and worse. And comments like the ones you (and Jay-Z's tune!) made are just fuelling the hatred, and keeping it going. Shouldn't people be judged on how they perform in a job as important as the Presidents? Or does it only matter what colour their skin is?
@erikmama (12934)
I think a lot of people made the comments that they were glad ALL the Presidents have been white. I think it is important to realize this was an important date in history. I do not think this is racism at all.I am WHITE and gald to be white.But we can not forget this is an important day in history! Yes, they should be judged based on the performance they do but no one understands the significance in this. I really didn't want to "start anything"with my discussion,just wanted to state how I felt about it,until it is deleted any way! Thanks for your response!
@Louc74 (620)
The fact that those people were afflicted with breathtaking ignorance doesn't mean that retaliatory ignorance is any less wrong. And the fact that you're white doesn't make any difference either. And it is pretty arrogant of you to assume that you're the only one in the lofty position of being able to understand the significance of his election. I don't think anyone fails to realise it was an important date in history, but isn't the whole point that the colour of someones skin, their religion, their ethnicity, should be INSIGNIFICANT when it comes to achieving employment, position, or presidency? It only continues to be an issue as long as people keep making statements like the one you did. THAT is what people don't or can't seem to understand. Saying you're glad your president is Barack Obama, because you agree with his ideals, and his plans while in office, and you think he will make a good president, is a fair statement. Saying that you're glad your president is black is, most definitely, racist.
@Louc74 (620)
I don't want to lose any more points by discussing further in this thread if it's going to be deleted, but if you want to discuss any further, I'm happy to do so via private messaging.