Integrity of feelings is the art of being real with another person.

@laydee (12813)
Integrity of feelings is the art of being real with another person. I read this somewhere, what do you think of the statement? For me, I think if you are sensitive with the feelings of other people you are being real to them? Hmm... but isn't it that there's also a saying which goes: familiarity bridges contempt? I'm confused. What do you think?
@ronnyb (6119)
• Jamaica
Great discussion .I think this statement means that if you have integrity then you will always answer honestly when asked for your impression by another person .Let me give you a scenario ,your fat friend asks you if she is fat ,then if you had integrity then you would answer yes.The other statement however in my view is saying that normally if you aswered that question honestly to a very sensitive stranger ,they may have been upset but then because you were a friend they would take it quite well
@laydee (12813)
Hmm.. There's a good point there.. I guess what matters is how 'close' you are with person who is asking you.
Hi Laydee, this statement means to me that if one is true to their own feelings, not hiding it or disguising it, then their interactions with another person will be real. I think that's what integrity of feelings means, is that keeping the feelings true, then no matter what, one's interaction with another person will be real with integrity. The best example I can use is if there is a person that you don't care for but you hide that feeling and whenever you see this person, your interactions are friendly and it seems that you like her, the integrity of feeling is breached, so therefore its not real/true. The other saying familiarity breeds contempt means to me that when you really get to know someone and if that person has horrible habits or characteristics that you dislike, it will show as you become more accustom to each other, this can be seen in families, I think. I don't think it means that you can't stand the person themselves but maybe certain aspects of their personality. So I think the way the two statements relate would be that being true to your own feelings makes it real in your interactions with another but along that road, the more familiar you become the more likelihood you will find aspects of that person's personality that you may dislike.