Time to get Cookin.....

I guess I am picked again to do the cooking for the Holidays. My one sister in law said she would help, but she mostly buys the can goods and prebaked stuff :)) I am one who likes to do things the old-fashion way, by scratch and homemade. The last couple years I have been the one doing all the cooking, baking, and getting things set for the thanksgiving or christmas dinner. The other two sister in laws don't care and just come to eat. do you do the cooking for the holidays? do you cater it? does each family bring a covered dish? How do you know which one will cook for the holiday.... I am getting my shopping list ready now!! thanks for replying
@kawalnarang (1095)
• Trinidad And Tobago
U COOk I eat,, when I cook u are welcome,In my place the ladies do the kitchen I help in shopping
you can come do my shopping also :)) nice to see you back kawalnarang...
@epicure35 (2822)
I'm with you on the scratch and homemade - it's what makes the holidays special, since so many people don't have time or energy to really cook real food anymore on regular days. Since the holidays are special, it's important to me to cook a bounty of vegetables, etc. to go with the mandatory turkey and fixings. I normally do all of the cooking (it's the cleanup I don't like). One of my daughters does a creamed spinach dish and dumps in the Stove Top, as all my homemade stuffings have been rejected by my children. My grandbaby helps me make the cranberry sauce and does Christmas cookies with me. So, it's me, me, and me for the most part. My daughter wants to go out this year, cause no one wants to help with the cleanup. But it's too expensive, not as good as homemade, and there are no leftovers, the best part of the holiday.
Yes, who likes to clean up.....no one. We are having alittle issue right now about the house being too tight, not enough room and they house being a wreck. We wouldn't mind finding someplace to rent for the day, but then again, who will pay for it since me and my sister in law got most of the food and I will do more baking than everyone. So it gets frustrating because only 2 of us usually do most of the dinners, pay for it and don't get any help but to eat it all. hmmm :-\
@epicure35 (2822)
Yes! We have the same issues here - House too small and a wreck, not enough room. And, like The Little Red Hen "Who Will Help....?" None, but to eat! I guess it's just the price we pay. Nonetheless, we are blessed.
@dmrone (751)
Hi, charblaize! For the past couple of years when we have the grandparents get togethers, everyone brngs a covered dish. We all pitch in to make it where no one has to do all the cooking. When we have the holiday get togethers with my children, and grandchildren i do most if not all of the cooking. My daughter in law pitches in a bakes a dessert every once in a while, but for the most part it is just me doing the cooking.
We try that but many of them will just bring the cheapest item or stuff to make it and then I will still end up cooking it, preparing it along with the other items. I atleast know, I will be busy and out of the bussle and elbow rubbing, then all I have to worry about is finding someone to do the clean up :)- Maybe next year, I can volunteer someone else.....
@dragon54u (31604)
I did all the cooking for the 19 years of my marriage and enjoyed it, for the most part. All that work to serve something that is wolfed down in 5 minutes!! Since I live alone now, I usually go to my dad's for Thanksgiving. My stepmother is a wonderful cook and so is Dad--when those two are in the kitchen, everyone is in for a treat! If I were you, I would make your family bring pies or something.
I really enjoy doing the cooking, but it gets aggravating when we start getting the nik-pickers and they don't like certain things that gets me frustrated and they don't do the cooking!!! So, this year they said they didn't like something and I told them to make it themselves and they could bring it. :) I haven't heard what my family is doing yet, this cooking is for my husbands side.
@hsofyan (3448)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
My wife cooks every day. On holidays, my wife always cooks something special to serve.
I do alot of cooking also, just big meals it is nice to have help. I hope she has help for the holidays. Even doing dishes is a big help making a huge dinner.