I have no idea how this thing ended up on my computer!

The past few weeks I keep getting a pop up saying "this web site is unsafe and has been reported to microsoft"! Then it says I need to apply for the spyware it is offering! I won't sign up because it could and probaly is a virus waiting to happen! I get so sick of it! I'll be on Mylot,my ptc sites,my e-mail or Facebook for examples when it pops up! Sometimes I end up getting knocked off my web site! If not that I'm continuely getting nothing done because that it is poping up! Then I'm contastly over anr over pushing the back button to get back on my site! I have no idea how it got on my computer! I don't remember signing up for anything! My computer programer brother has tried to get it off my computer but it hasn't worked! I'm so frustrated! I go from one problem to the next!
@thea09 (18324)
• Greece
Hi bluepacker, although completely computer illiterate myself I CAN help you with this one. My sons laptop got 34 viruses inflicted on it through an anti virus programme and I asked for help here and received the solution. When you turn the computer on and get that black screen which says continue in normal mode you need to go somewhere else on it by tabbing up, sorry I can't remember exactly where. There is an option there to reset the date on your computer to before a time when you were infected, it takes about a half hour to run, and hey presto it is sorted. I was getting all sorts of conflicting advice on how it would need to be fixed but this was simple and effective and I managed it easily and I really am a technophobe. If you can't find where to go on that first black screen let me know and I'll try to find where I wrote the instructions down. It won't work though just changing the date on your normal screen, you have to do it before you go into anything on the computer. Good luck.
Thanks for the response! as of yesterday my computer is back running normal! The Norton Anti-virus ware I have on my computer finally took care of the virus which it should af 2 weeks ago! I'm happy again!
@thea09 (18324)
• Greece
Glad to hear that but store the tip away in case it happens again as it really worked for me and as I say I'm a total techniphobe. It's so frustrating when they won't do what we want though isn't it?
@jazzsue58 (2672)
I've copied your tip in case I need it. I find these things are corrosive. To begin with, your protection works fine but then you see the odd one creeping through. I don't think 1 form of protection is enough - I have 3, all compatible with each other. that stops most things - I can imagine them fruitlessly bouncing from one to the other, trying to find a ch!nk in the armour. The other thing you MUST do is install updates - take that as a warning from One Who Knows ...
@KrauseHome (35034)
Well, sounds like you could have a Virus on your computer and need to run your virus protection to make sure everything is OK. You might also try doing a systems restore to an earlier time on your Computer, and see if this helps anything as well. That is all I can think of to suggest, but hope this does help give you ideas.
It was a virus and it was taken care up yesterday! It was on my computer for 2 weeks and I am shocked doing a full virus scan on the computer didn't help! I have Norton Anti-virus on my computer! Anyway it is gone and I couldn't be happier!
@gabs8513 (48716)
Hi there Do you use Firefox or IE The reason I am asking this is because IE is dangerous for things like that I don't know if you have an Anti Virus on your Computer I have Antivir which is a free Download I have had this now for 8 years and it stops everything I am sure that if you downloaded that and run a scan it will catch it I hope this has helped you a bit and I hope you can get rid of it
What ever the virus was it is now gone! My Morton Anti-virus did it's thing finally! Then when I was done for the day on the computer another similar virus came up! Right away I run a full scan on my computer and the virus is gone! It's about time my computer is back to normal!
@musicman6 (2370)
Well what it is , is adware or malware, which is just as bad as a virus, and you have already got it! Don't do what it says, because then it will get worse! The way I got rid of mine is, I bought Norton Anti-virus, and it went in there and got rid of it, and so far Norton has kept me from getting any more virus, or adware or malware !
I think it was a adware or malware! i do have Norton Anti-virus on my computer. When this all started and a few times after that I run a full scan on my computer! That didn't help! Anyway yesterday I went on my computer and the Norton anti-virus had FINALLY took care of that virus! I'm so happy!