Curing Diabetes

@erikmama (12934)
Doctors are saying that weight loss surgery often leads to dramatic improvements in Type 2 Diabetes. Evidence is so solid, some doctors suggest this be an option for treating the condition. Would you consider this as a treatment option?
My husband is Type 2 and he was never given the option of surgery. He was diagnosed over a year ago. His sugar levels have been going down. If this would help him I would say it is a good thing.
@erikmama (12934)
i think this is a new discovery that they have recently made, as I just heard about it also. I wish you and your husband the best!
@KrauseHome (35035)
The problem with this statement is is this not Stereotyping people? Saying that everyone who suffers from Type 2 Diabetes is overweight and needs the Surgery. Yes, this surgery will help with people no longer needing Insulin, etc. but not every person who is Type 2 is overweight. Some become overweight due to the meds they take, but at the same time not every person out there who is really overweight is always Diabetic as well. I started out Type 2, and then due to other Health issues and getting a big gash in my right leg, I am not insulin dependant and get sick if I miss my Insulin even, and my numbers are all over the board as well. Since being put on Insulin I became overweight. I was only about 15 pds over at most what I should have weighed prior to needing Insulin. So in reality it is a matter of lifestyle and choice, but if a person who is Diabetic really overweight, it could be a benefit for them if they can afford to do this as well.
@erikmama (12934)
I do not think the surgery was intended just for overweight people, probably the reason this is not an option. I hope all gets better for you and your diabetes.My wishes are with you!