Congressman Uses Baby as Prop in House Health Care Debate!!

@anniepa (27238)
I'm sorry, I know this is old news but I thought somebody else would bring this up but if they did, I missed it! It was last week, during the House debate on health care, Representative John Shadegg, R-AZ, brought the 7 month old daughter of a staffer onto the floor to "speak" for him about the Democratic health care bill. See it and read more here: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/11/07/rep-quotes-infant-on-house-floor-maddie-wants-patient-choice/ Here's part of what Shadegg quoted Maddie as saying: “She believes in choices, but most of all, Maddie says, ‘Don’t tax me to pay for health care that you guys want. If you want health care, pay for it yourselves. Because it’s not fair to pass your health care bill on to me and my grandchildren.’” I especially loved the "If you want health care, pay for it yourselves" part! I think most lawmakers would be a bit hesitant to say that quite so bluntly speaking as themselves but, heck, if it's coming from the mouth of a baby it's not so harsh, right? Obviously, Maddie and Maddie's mom probably don't have much to worry about when it comes to their own health care. Maybe someone else should have shown up with a baby whose parents didn't work for a member of Congress, a baby who is either sick him or herself or whose mother or father is sick and needs health care and can't afford to "pay for it themselves"! Of course, THAT would be the exploitation of a child and probably accused of being a "plant"! Annie
@Taskr36 (13925)
Yeah, I'd meant to post a discussion on this the other day and didn't get around to it. O'Reilly played the clip on his show. I'm really sick of people using children this way. This is the first time I've seen a republican do it, but it's equally disgusting.
@anniepa (27238)
THANK YOU, Taskr, for being very fair and honest here. I agree, I don't like to see anyone using children this way. What did O'Reilly have to say about it? Annie
@Taskr36 (13925)
He basically said the same thing I always say. Keep the kids out of it.
@spalladino (17925)
I'll send my oldest granddaughter over there...the one with Type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, stomach problems, neurological problems, etc...all related to her diabetes. She's 18 now and will be off her parent's coverage in April when she turns 19 unless she's a full time college student. She lives on her own, works 3 part time jobs because she can't find a full time one and will be uninsurable due to her medical conditions.
@anniepa (27238)
That's so heartbreaking, Spall, I'd love to be able to do something to help myself! The sad thing is, if she were to attend a town hall meeting or something like that and ended up on You-Tube or on TV she'd be accused of being a "plant" by those promoting "socialist" health care! I can promise you, you'll never hear ME or anyone in my family say "If she wants health care let her pay for it herself!" Annie
@irisheyes (4373)
Maybe the kids in cancer wards whose parents are being told that their health coverage isn't sufficient for their children's treatment treatment should all have a chance to address congress.
@anniepa (27238)
You're right, and they would be the ones idiots like Shadegg would be calling propaganda! Annie
@ZephyrSun (7385)
OMG! How in the hell did he learn to understand babies? Where was he when my baby was 7 months old and cried all the time? I'm sure his wife really appreciates him a lot!
@anniepa (27238)
I'm sure he'd have told you your baby was crying because of the no-good liberals in Congress...lol! Annie
@matersfish (6311)
What a tool! I think I've started about 5 discussions on myLot in my 2 years here, so don't expect me to update folks with the latest breaking news. I'm a responder, not a trendsetter Yeah, another schmuck using kids as propaganda. He's far from the only one. This is another case where politicians and most overtly political people with statements to make are dirty and shameless all across the board. But at the least the kid's young enough that the memory won't stick. He coulda brought in a class of elementary school kids to sing a song he taught them.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
If they did, they would be accused of causing trouble. I had a discussion a while back and had this link in it. Check it out, this will tell you how they will take it. http://www.breitbart.tv/father-of-handicapped-son-received-threats-after-confrontation-with-rep-dingell/