If you brought a family member a gift and they were to give it away,

@jugsjugs (13045)
or sell it for less than half of what it cost how hurt would you be? What would you say if it was a close family member like your own son or daughter?
It never happened to me. those gifts I gave for my family were useful and those what they really want so I never see them selling my gifst and giving it all. If that happens to me, I will be really sad and hurt and will have double thoughts of giving them gifts again. For me they broken the belief of is the thoughts that counts. LOL
@climber7565 (2579)
well it does hurt my feelings if I give something to anyone and they don't appreciate it. Now we must remember it is great to give and better then receive, as the saying goes. Who ever thought of that? lol yeap. I chose things to give that will make money for them so is okay to sell. lol issued solved.
@happy6162 (3011)
I would not be offended if they took the gift back to the store. If I buy something for a family or friend I usually tell them if they can not use it then they can return it and get something they can use.
@ElicBxn (60884)
Once I give something to someone, it is theirs. If they don't want it and sell or give it away - fine. If I crafted it and put a lot of hard work into it, I'd be disappointed, but it is still theirs to do with as they please.
@Ritchelle (3797)
it definitely would hurt. i think this is the main reason why i read somewhere that gift cheques is one of the best gifts one can give. of course, besides cash .
@jillmalitz (5132)
I would probably be upset especially if I spent a lot of time and effort finding what I thought was the perfect gift.
@stephcjh (32328)
Yes. It would hurt me. I would rather than tell me they do not want it. I would gladly take it back and get them something they do want instead. It would hurt me if they did something with it without telling me first.
@drannhh (15226)
Did that happen to you? Or were you considering doing it to one of your parents, lol... I would suspect either than I made a very poor choice of gifts or that the close family member was on substance. But normally I give gift cards. Still I would expect the recipient to use the full value because otherwise that would be like throwing money away. I probably would not say anything, but it might be the last gift that person ever got from me.
I was so hurt angry and upset about such a thing just a few months ago. When I had my spare laptop fan repaired at a cost of $230.00 plus a printer that I did not use to my 26 year old grandson. Within couple of weeks he borrowed(??) $150.00 from a friend and gave my gifts as collateral. Of course he never got the items back and when my daughter tried to pay back the $150.00 so she could could get them the guy refused and said hell no they were worth a hell of a lot more than that. He will never ever get anything of value from me again. I was tempted not to get him anything for Christmas but to show what a sweet Grandma I am I got him an ugly sweater that I know he will hate!
@cher913 (25891)
my mom has done that a bunch of times. she has sold stuff that i have given her at garage sales and it has really hurt because she is really all about gifts and how much you spent at christmas time.
I honestly can't say what I would do in this situation but I can tell you that I would be extremely hurt if I found out about someone doing this with a gift I had given them
I would be hurt because I took the time to buy the gift and to save the money up for the gift. If it is something that the person does not like then the person should be honest and say something. I remember one year my grandfather bought me a Chasmiere Sweater for Christmas, but I had to return it because it turned out that I was allergic to cashmiere. It was hard to tell my grandfather, but he understood. He took me out shopping and bought me what I wanted. Under normal circumstances I would have kept it, but because it affected my health I had no choice.
@bounce58 (17526)
Of course, I'll get offended! Specially if it is something you put thought into. If they don't like it, they should say as soon as they receive it. And then bring it back to the store for replacement. I think I am more offended at the lost of money if they sell it at a lower price. That's why if it is a close relative, I don't buy any gifts until I am quite really sure of what they want.
@dlr297 (5387)
It would not bother me one way or another, because once i give something as a gift, it is theirs to do with what they want to do with it.
It would hurt, but rather than surprising them I would want to make sure it was a gift that they could use, or might like, os that there would be no need to sell it or give it away. Were they to sell it because they needed the money, I would want to know so that I might help them myself, so they would not need to sell their gift.
I actually have been the family member in the past that has done something like this. The most recent example being some of the gifts that I got for my wedding. There was no way in the world that I needed two sets of cookware so I finally decided that I would give the extra set that I had in my storage to my brother and sister-in-law as a Christmas gift because they didn't have any of their own. However, my aunt that originally gave it to me doesn't know that I gave the gift away. Now, because I have been the person that has given away my gifts, I have no place to feel hurt because someone else chose to do that with a gift that I'd given to them. However, it is also the reason that I like to know exactly what someone wants as a gift.
@tigeraunt (6331)
hi jj, i would feel really very very hurt. my gift would be given wholeheartedly and there is no other thing that i would need back except the appreciation. it would really be upsetting and i would really be offended to have people such as that, close family members, doing that to me. i hope it doesnt happen. ann
@hvedra (1623)
It would depend on the circumstances and what it was. I'd rather people tell me what they wanted and me know I was getting the right thing. If it was because they needed the money I'd have some sympathy but I think I'd rather they asked me to help them out with the money. Of course, if I thought it was because they were insensitive twits I'd simply cross them off the gift list.
My grandmother used to give my gifts to others. She didn't use handkerchifs or powders, creams or perfume so she gave them to others who did. I never knew what to give her. I never said anything. It is a gift given to her. No need to say anything to them. I can see where someone might though.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
If they came to me about it first then I wouldn't be upset but to go behind my back, it would hurt but yet on the other hand, it's theirs to do what ever they wish to do with it. I mean, I gave it to them so it's theirs, not mine anymore. However, if they came to me and let me know, then I wouldn't be hurt by it but happy that they came to me first before doing anything.