Who discovered the word lion, and why do people call those creatures a Lion?????

@rjvb26 (2518)
Where did the Lion word originate? Why do those people call it Lion? is there a basis why they are called Lions? And what is their real name? Are the ones who named it are sure that it is that creature's real name? What do you think?
I believe that when God created all those animals, God gave Adam the freedom and the wisdom to name all the animals. Therefore, it is not man that discovered the name lion but God game to Adam himself. I don't really know why they call it lion but it may be because of their purpose here on earth. Whatever it is, I am just glad that we have the names of all animals.
@rjvb26 (2518)
O yes, whatever really that is i am also happy and proud of having them here in this planet. If they are not here out knowledge will be very limited to somethings. I thank God for that, just like i was expecting that a respondent will answer but how about if we will not talk about God, let's only talk about the people and the science? Who do you think gave those names and why? I do believe in God, but this time let us make rest a bit from our minds and heart. Let's focus on the being a human side only.
@repzkoopz (1895)
i'm not entirely sure about this but as far as i know, the word and name "lion" was derived from its scientific name "felis leo" or "panthera leo". not sure who named it, but i think it was Linnaeus way back in the 18th century.
I am not sure where all these names originate from...why is a road called a road, a sky a sky or a booger a booger? My kids are always asking me these questions and I just say that would be because someone somewhere named it that way and that I can't really explain why..I too often think who are the people that came up with these names for such things and can anyone do it, can anyone name something and how does it stick??? WE may never know LOL