A Traditional Thankgiving

@erikmama (12934)
Do you celebrate Thanksgiving the traditional way,with family,friends,turkey,etc.? What do you enjoy most about this holiday? Last year I did not have the traditional meal,Papa Johns delivered! This year will be complete with turkey and all the trimmings! Dont forget to remember all the things yo have to be thankful for,and do not forget those less fortunate.
@spalladino (17925)
We do a traditional dinner at our place every year. This year we have to eat early...probably at noon...because my oldest daughter has to be at work by 3:00. That means getting up pretty early to put the turkey in so Papa Johns sounds pretty good...if I could get away with it. Speaking of the less fortunate, one of the churches in our little town needed extra food for their Thanksgiving baskets so I swung by on my way home from the store earlier with some things I had picked up. Folks only started talking it a few days ago and the nice lady who took my donations told me that they have more than enough now. I love small towns...such caring people.
@erikmama (12934)
Nothing wrong with eating early. The most important thing is that you are all able to be together on this day. And it is so wonderful you were helping out. Sometimes I miss the country,and other times I do not think I could live in a small town again. Happy Holidays!
Last year my husband and I went to see his family. This year we will either go to his cousin's house again or I will end up cooking at hom. It depends on the weather. Right now we have four inches of snow and not a warm day in the week. If it continues to snow this week I will be cooking dinner (provided we still have electricity). I bought everything just in case. I am always grateful for what I have. The day after Thanksgiving I will be going to our local park who is having a chili dinner and the donation they want is an unwrapped toy for the toys for tots drive. I always give to the toys for tots drive.
@erikmama (12934)
Snow? Where do you live? It has been so long since I have seen any of the white stuff.My youngest son has never seen snow in his 4 years and is dying for it to snow! It is great you get to be with family on this special day.I love all of the agencies that help the kiddos out.Thank you for helping! Have a great holiday!
I live in Idaho. There is four inches of snow on the ground. I hope it melts by Thursday. My niece wanted me to clean my house this week so frosty can come over to live with me for the winter( she is four years old). She lives in Nevada and they do not get any snow and she is afraid that frosty will melt.
@erikmama (12934)
Ahhh snow.I havent seen it in so long.I would love too! My 4 year old has never seen it,and he wants to make a snow angel so bad~
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, erikmama. With my family, we just have regular chicken, macaroni, collard greens, sweet potatoes and two types of pies. I may cook two types of chicken and have rice as an alternate. I don't do the turkey. But, I may cook turkey legs. These are the big looking drumsticks that are very large in size. My grandmother usually makes a ham for Thanksgiving. We used to eat turkey, but she cooks ham. I would rather have ham anyway. Sometimes a turkey can be dry and boring to eat. But it is very delicious when it is properly cooked.
@erikmama (12934)
I'll take a plate,with extra pie,please! LOL!! My mom cooks turkey legs too! I usually make a ham,but boyfriend wants turkey,and that's what he will get! I prefer ham too.Collard greens? You have to be in the south somewhere!
@Bebs08 (10690)
For me? my upbringing about thanks giving is different from what the people here in America are doing during thanks giving. I don;t have any idea about the traditional thanksgiving and the modern or what ever.. In my country we don;t have specific date for thanksgiving. We do it anytime we have something special to be thankful for. Anytime of the year will do for us. But now that I am here? I don't know what my husband will do for thanksgiving.. hahahah I will just abide with him.
@freedomg (1684)
We almost always do a very traditional thanksgiving dinner, witht he exception of getting all dressed up. I had to dress up when I was a kid and hated it. I also keep the kids at the same table as the adults just at one end so they can talk about what they want to with out screaming and don't feel left out. My favorite part of the holidays is getting to see the whole family together. We rarely do that because this person hates that person and such, but for the holidays everyone getts along and have fun together. For that I am so grateful. Also every year I am given a unique opportunity to see how much my children have grown and changed over the year, it's wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time. This year though I am even more grateful that we are even able to have thanksgiving because the money has been so tight; and that my Mom will be there regardless of the fact that in the past 3 months her health has been going down hill fast. Very cool topic.
I never liked the idea of dressing up for the holidays either. I do however, love spending time with the family. Thanksgiving night my husband and I will be decorating the tree and decorating the house for Christmas. I will be cooking pumpkin pie, fudge and oreo truffles. I love this time of the year.
@freedomg (1684)
Ohhh please please please may I get your recipe for the oreo truffles.
@erikmama (12934)
Hehe...Dressing up with lothes mom [icked was never fun! Atleast you recognize that! LOL! I always allow the kids at the table.They have to be good of course.But it is about being togeth! It is so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just 3 months away yet again! The oreo trugffles does sound delicious!
In China, people do not celebrate Thanksgiving day. But when I start to learn English a few years before, I know Turkey Day from the vedio "Family Album U.S.A". It's interesting;-)
@erikmama (12934)
It is amazing how greatly cultures vary! What is your favorite Chinese celebration? Thanksgiving is definatley interesing hliday!
@apples99 (6564)
Sometimes we celebrate the tradishional way, it just depends really. but I mostly enjoy the food and of course spending time with family dosent hurt ether lol but I love my moms potato salad and other side dishes on that day, like baked macaroni in cheese and pie yum lol. but all joking a side, yes your right we should all remember those less fortunate and all the good things we have to be thankful for.
@erikmama (12934)
Ahh~you are making me hunfry! Only a few more months and it will be yet again time to celevbrate Thanksgving!! As long as we have the great food and family that is what matters the mosr!
My family throws tradition out of the window. We still have turkey, but for the most part, anything goes. Want to do Thanksgiving Mexican style? Go for it. Want to do it Filipino style? Sure. Want to go Italian? Who's stopping you? I have celebrated so many Thanksgivings and I love diversity on my dish. I have had cousins and family members make Thanksgiving so many different ways. It is so much fun that way. I have a few things that I am truly thankful for. I am thankful for my boyfriend and my family, I am thankful for my four cats, I am thankful for being alive, I am thankful for having my health insurance for seven days (I lose it on the first), and thankful that I have a home. I feel so bad for those who don't have much of anything right now, I don't know how they survive. The churches in my city are doing all that they can to insure that people don't go hungry this year, and the homeless population in my area had grown tremendously this last year. I am hoping that things will get better sooner or later.
@erikmama (12934)
Hehe! Thats what I like to heat! As long as everyone is toegether and enjpying the company of each other then it is a great holiday!! Trying new foods is always fun to do and it m aeks things really interesting espe for a Thanksgiving dinner!!
I don't care for Turkey at all, so my choice of meal on that day, is either ham or chicken. As for our family tradition and how we spend the day? Our family used to go to a family members home around 11:00 in the morning, sit around eating appetizers until the dinner was ready, and after we ate, go back and sit and chat until 7:30 in the evening. When I got to be in my 30's, and had my own family, I decided to be the black sheep, and stop going over for dinner. I now stay home and make our own meal, and sit at home until 3:30, and then I go and visit. The last thing I want to do is move from one room to the next all day, and visit that long with people I have seen all year...lol It was time for my own tradition.
@sender621 (14956)
I believe my family celebrates a traditional Thanksgiving. All of the family gathers together and prepares a great meal. Turkey with all of the trimmings is enjoyed by all. Giving thanks for what we are grateful for should be foremost in our thoughts. We all can find something to be thankful for this holiday season.
@erikmama (12934)
Spending the holiday with family friends and those that you love is the most important thing.It is almst that time of the year again and I hope you are able to carry on the tradition again this holiday!
@hsofyan (3448)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
Yes, we celebrate every year. Usually there is KETUPAT with side dishes of meat chicken, beef or goat cooked.
@hsofyan (3448)
• Jakarta, Indonesia
KETUPAT is based specialty rice wrapped in a wrapper made of woven coconut leaves, then cooked until done.
@rosepedal64 (4192)
Turkey Plate - Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner
Yes we do celebrate the tradional way of Thanksgiving. We have this big beautiful bird,nice roasted ham and all the veggies that can be fixed. Oh yes lets not forget the fatty desserts that we all can't avoid. I mean really them pies and cakes won't shut up until I get at least two pieces of each. They should be ashamed of their selves...lol Have a nice evening and keep smiling.