Chicago tea party heckles a woman who lost two family members.

Her daughter-in-law was pregnant with their 7 and a 1/2 month expectant. She was not able to afford her regular prenatal visits. She contracted double pnemonia, was kept alive on the respirator, but both she, and her expectant died. She was not able to afford insurance. Members of the tea party laugh at this woman. They just sit there and laugh as she is crying about her loss. Is that what you tea partyers propose is a good America? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/23/tea-party-patriots-attack_n_367475.html
@JenInTN (27568)
That's a very sad story ladybugmagic. Unfortunatley there are a lot of people across America that suffer terribly and needlessly because they can't afford medical insurance. The saddest that I have been exposed to is when my state cut out low income medical benefits to the elderly. It has been a rough road for many of them. I think that I would have to be very nasty if I witnessed anyone laughing at the loss of someones loved one.
I think the laughter only rubs salt into the wound. And then when people, in this thread, try to justify their behaviour, or infer that the video was edited. Fairly insulting, too.
I often wonder, all politics aside, can anyone who opposes universal healthcare bring themselves to tell a four year old that they would rather them die, than reach a little deeper into their pockets.
@coolcoder (2022)
Yeah...um...ladybugmagic? Do you know how much this public option is going to cost taxpayers? TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Our taxes are going to go up exponentially, burdening our children, our children's children, and so on. You're going to have to pay for it, I'm going to have to pay for it, and guess what? Seniors are going to have to pay for it, since their Medicare benefits are going to be reduced. Ugh...honestly...look at both sides of the story, and at least entertain the possibility that the video was edited. The Huffing-and-Puffington Post and Keith Olbermann are well known for doing this in order to discredit mainstream America and the tea parties.
@xfahctor (14107)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Ok, so I watched the video 4 times. I tried to find an unedited version but was unsuccessfull. The only thing I saw was a crowd settling down after the woman began to speak, the residual heckling of the congressman. I heard and saw no one laugh at the woman or mocking her. They showed two still shots of a man laughing and pointing. It would have been nice to see a camera shot of him when it ocured, rather than when they said it occured and a couple still shots. You would have been far better off to find an unedited version if this genuinly happened, sorry, their article and video REEKS of epic fail.
And how was it possible for them to edit in her addressing the audience saying, "You can laugh at me, that's fine." I guess she didn't react to them like that, and somehow her own voice was dubbed over. I am epic failing your epic failing the video.
I can concede that I was a little premature in showing this link, but not entirely, because I was not that familiar with huffington-post. I did not know they were so left-leaning. I try to post as much middle-ground as I can, because I don't want to be accused of posting something edited. I did post another link somewhere where a girl, probably my age, says, "LET THEM DIE" in referencing people without insurance. That is just as vulgar, if not moreso, as laughing at someone on stage. I think, though, with the video I provided, it was a handheld camera, of an audience member, and posting was legitimate enough. They added some text to it, showed the giggling man, etc. Its not as edited as you are suggesting. It would be nice to think that, though.
@anniepa (25247)
I heard about this on Countdown earlier tonight and it made me sick! I understand they gave a statement saying they're frustrated because "isolated incidents" keep popping up to distract from the discussion about health care reform. I may not have the exact words but you get the meaning I'm sure. I AM sure they used the phrase "isolated incidents". The problem is, there are thousands of these incidents all over the country every day which is exactly WHY we need health care reform and need to distract from the lies and misleading information being spread by these so-called "patriots"! Annie
It's tiring, isn't it? I can't wait until healthcare reform is resolved. I wonder what the patriot's next plight is.
I have not heard about this situation and will have to do more research. But to be honest I have a hard time believing it due to all the social programs we have for pregnant moms in this country. If she could not afford insurance she should have been able to get on one of the social programs (there are several) that would have taken care of her prenatal visits and nutritional needs during her pregnancy and for the 1st year after wards.
@Rollo1 (16788)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Watch the video. No one is shouting at her or heckling her while she speaks. I won't even bother to mention that dying of septic shock is not related to prenatal care. The point is that the video doesn't show what they purport happened.
I made a bit of an error in my original post. She was unable to get insured, because her pregnancy was a pre-existing condition. Why would people who don't support healthcare reform support programs that help with prenatal visits. That is still money from the taxpayer, who had nothing to do, might I add, with that person's baby. Also, when she started crying, that validated that she was telling the truth. They could have given an appropriate moment of silence instead of smurking ,yelling, and giggling.
lady- I don't know who told you that but it is not true. There is a federael law that makes it illegal for pregnacy to be a pre existing condition. So who ever told you that did not know the facts. I am starting to wonder if this whole incident is true because most of what I am finding out is not true.
@Rollo1 (16788)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I give every story the opportunity to prove itself to me, so I read the Huffpo piece and watched the video. The video doesn't match the article at all. Firstly, I heard no one heckle that woman while she was talking, no one jeered or attacked her. "Members of the tea party laugh" is another erroneous statement. When she said "you can laugh at me", the camera panned to one man sitting in the audience who had a smile on his face. No one else around him is smiling or laughing. At the end of the video it shows a still of this same man from earlier in the evening, with his hand pointing at the congressman who was speaking at that time, not this woman. When people edit videos or try to pretend they show something they don't, it destroys all credibility. No voices could be heard from the audience while she spoke. Conversely, you could hear shouting when the congressman spoke so it wasn't because she had a microphone and they didn't - it was because they weren't shouting when she spoke. I know this story will be circulated as true regardless of the evidence that they themselves offer to support it which shows it is false. What's the point in discussing it? If you watched the video, you know the charge of heckling isn't accurate.
Time to rewatch, Rollo, without your conservative coloured glasses. Pretend you have no stance on healthcare reform, and watch a woman on stage discussing an incident in which she lost her family members. You will see that the congressman asked the audience to quiet down when she was speaking, as they were shouting and heckling her, and you will see that jerky man snickering, and others raising their fists in the air in his support. They wouldn't feel the need to issue a comment that they thought she was making up the story if they they didn't behave in a terrible manner. If this were a lib laughing at her, I too, would single them out for insulting and rude behaviour. The last I knew, patriots wanted their citizens taken care of. I wonder why it has been so easy for groups like the tea party patriots to ban together when our president is doing something out of concern, and provide all his country's citizens healthcare, but we couldn't gain enough speed to protest the war and halt it as long as we have put speedbumps into healthcare. Something very backwards about that.
@Rollo1 (16788)
• Boston, Massachusetts
You know what? I did watch it again, very carefully. I suggest you do the same. There are some residual comments and noises from the audience when she starts to speak, but before she tells her story. Lipinski asks them to be quiet and they stop. She starts to tell her story during which time there is no shouting. Now and again I heard some murmurs, not shouting, heckling or booing. Again, when she says they think it's funny, they show that one man in the audience with a smile on his face. He is sitting, not shaking his fists or anything like that and neither is anyone around him. At the end of the video, they show still photos of people laughing, booing, arms outstretched, clapping in one case... but these are from the earlier footage of when Lipinski was speaking. It doesn't matter that they caption these photos as the crowd heckling her, their captions don't make it so. If it happened while she spoke, why can't you hear it? Why didn't the camera record it and show it during her talk? Because there's no such video of this occurring while she speaks. These shots are not from that part of the meeting. I watched it again with someone else and asked that person if they saw what you claim. They didn't. I challenge you to watch it again.
Oh, and I did watch it again before posting to you. Which is why I suggested you rewatch it, because you clearly missed some detail.
@quinnkl (1668)
Isn't is sick what people do to get their way in this country? The "people" (you know who you or they are and I use the term loosely) who will say or do anything to discourage a change they do not want - even at the expense of a grieving family - is just WRONG!!!
@irishidid (8104)
Sounds like someone's lying. I'd say it was mom-in-law. Help is always available to pregnant women, even homeless ones. She deserved to be laughed at for being so stupid that she thought others would believe this nonsense.
@irishidid (8104)
Any condition that arises during the pregnancy is handled just the same. When I developed an infection in my last pregnancy it was taken care of. Whenever I had colds, flu, or whatever during a pregnancy it was dealt with by the doctor. He didn't just deal with the pregnancy. When my daughter developed high blood pressure during her pregnancy the doctor didn't ignore it because it wasn't anything to do with the baby. He dealt with it, along with the pregnancy. I don't mean this rudely, but I have to ask. Have you ever even been pregnant? I'm asking because it doesn't appear to be so. You would know your care is more than just for your pregnancy if you ever had been.
@coolcoder (2022)
Seeing as you got this news from two of the most liberal news organizations on the face of this planet, I'm completely disinclined to take this particular bit of news at face value. Both news agencies are known for twisting the truth when it suits their agenda; in this case, their agenda involves completely discrediting the tea party movement. I would like to see the other side of this story--the tea party's side of the story, because I hardly believe that any of them would laugh at this woman. I was involved in a tea party protest earlier this summer, and NOT ONE TIME did I hear anyone make a disparaging remark of the type that Huffington and Olbermann are claiming. NOT ONE TIME. Seriously, I'd start looking around for better news sources than the Huffing-and-Puffington Post and Keith Olbermann. You're never going to get an objective news report from either of those sources.
Cool coder - As I said above to lil wonders, I will post more links tonight, and will show similar behaviour from the tea partyers in other forums, but I am at work right now, and running the risk of being caught. I just wanted to get some quick remarks in, because this is a burning topic for me. Oddly, enough, my friend introduced me to huffington post; I have never read it before, and I have always been on the left-er side.
@jb78000 (15178)
hi ladybug - far as i can gather huffingtonpost is a burble - i.e. similar to wnd in quality. have never really looked at it and think it is mostly on local us issues so probably wouldn't anyway. anyway my view on all kinds of burbles is that fine as a starting point but you need a bit more on a story than what they present - also not good as links, the lefties instantly discredit anything that comes from wnd and the righties anything that comes from huffington.
I guess for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Where are the places to go that are in the middle, for resources, videos, links, etc?