I want a national CHRISTMAS tree

@Trensue (5256)
My friend is an artist who is commissioned to do decorations for one the trees at the White House. She has been involved for the last twelve years. She just got her letter this year stating that there will be no Christmas Trees at the White House this year. They will all be Holiday Trees and any decorations with religious themes will be destroyed. I am outraged on many levels. Does Obama know who founded this country and why? Destroyed? not returned, not refused to use, but destroyed - Is he burning some books too? I have been more than tolerant and respectful, but it is not just another holiday it is Christmas. Are the people who celebrate Hannakah going to able to use the term or is it a holiday? What the h*ll are we going to call Easter? P.S. Not a republican - just angry.
@spalladino (17925)
I really don't like all of this pc garbage when it comes to Christmas but, fear not, the National Christmas Tree is alive and well on the Ellipse, just south of the White House, and will be lit on Dec. 3rd. I read something similar to this during the Bush administration regarding Barbara Bush's use of themes for the White House holiday trees that were non-religious. I don't believe that anyone would accuse them of being anti-Christian.
@Trensue (5256)
I had to go back and read what I wrote. I did not say Obama was anti-Christian. I said I wanted a Christmas tree. I said he could have holiday trees as well. Barbara Bush had several trees every year and one of them was at least called a Christmas Tree - The tree on the way does not represent me the way I want to be represented. I don't really care how it is decorated - I want the title of Christmas tree. I also think that returning something he deems as inappropriate would be a much better solution that destroying it. The passion may be because I know the artist.
@spalladino (17925)
After reading Annie's comments below I did some checking on this myself and, I'm sorry, but this is not adding up. You say that your friend has been involved in this project for the past 12 years yet information available at factcheck.org does not back that up...or the claim that suddenly there are no Christmas trees allowed at the White House. Using non-religious themes is nothing new. According to their website, during the Bush administration, Barbara Bush chose non-religious themes for the White House Christmas tree during all 8 seasons yet they were still referred to as Christmas trees. In 2008, the participating artists were individually selected by members of Congress and submitted ornaments depicting the patriotic spirit of their state. In 2007 national parks were the theme. The 2006 ornaments were crystal and glass with no contributing artists mentioned. In 2003 the tree was decorated with ornaments borrowed from the Bush Presidential Library and first used by the president's mother so, again, no contributing artists, 2002 the theme was birds & 2001 the theme was historic homes. Semonti Stephens, deputy press secretary to Mrs. Obama, in a direct response to factcheck.org. has said that the White House Christmas tree will be called the Christmas tree and that no letter has gone out to artists. This part is not necessarily directed at you trensue. I've seen folks make claims here that the Obama's are Muslim and, therefore, do not celebrate Christmas. This is nonsense. If they were practicing Muslims they would not have been members of the church they attended in Chicago. I say this because, political aspirations aside, President Obama is the father of two children. No parent...not even the most hard core political animal...would intentionally confuse his own children about the religion they practice by following one publicly and another privately. The idea that Michelle Obama would allow her children to be intentionally confused in this way is ridiculous.
I don't know too much about this, but my personal views is why not have a Christmas tree? Yes we know the US government is officially a secular government as the first amendment forbids the feds creating a national religion. However, as we know, Christmas is a celebration and holiday, this cannot harm anybody, so therefore the President can freely celebrate Christmas because the first amendment also guarantees freedom to celebrate religious holidays. I guess this was Obama's choice to not have Christmas trees. But... I thought Obama was Christian? Why do they feel it's going to be discriminating to other religions for having a Christmas tree where they live? They are Christian, they have a right to celebrate their religion. If a Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or other President is elected then they too should be free to celebrate their religion at the White House as it'll be where they'll be living.
Good luck in your quest. Do you think Obama is a CHRISTIAN? Well, think again. He's a COMMUNIST! Does he give a flying f*ck what YOU or anyone else thinks? Think again. He has his agenda and it's anything BUT Christian. Although I didn't cast MY vote for him, enough people were SUCKERED IN to make him "our president." I wonder just how many would rethink that vote now! The man thinks he is a god ... I think he's god-dam*ed! He'll get his due rewards when the time is right. Easter? Call it "Eggy-poo." Hanukkah? Call it a radical holiday. This is a sorry nation we're living in. Nothing good has EVER come out of Chicago, including "Obamamama."
@Trensue (5256)
Heavens - I just want to call it a Christmas tree - it was not an assault on everything the man believes in.
@charblaize (1030)
This really doesn't surprise me with everything else Obama has done "backwards" for this country. Doesn't he think it is tradition and it can be decorated other ways, what will his little girls think and won't they ask about a tree? He always claimed that he went to church and looked toward God, Obama has alot of backstabbing and lying.
@amybrezik (2123)
I can see what he is trying to do, but I agree with you. Why get rid of the traditions? It seems that Christmas is the holiday to pick on. And I don't think it is right or fair. The holidays are about religon. If he wanted "holiday" trees, why not do a Christian themed tree, a Hannakah themed tree, or even a kwanza themed tree. It doesn't seem right that at this time of religous celebration (no matter what the religon) that the trees should be banned. What exactly are they going to decorate the tree with???
@Canellita (12058)
Well, now that you have had some time to calm down I would remind you of the separation of church and state and religious freedom. Shall they erect a Hannukah tree? Put out Kwanza decorations? Celebrate the rituals of the indigenous people who were here before the Pilgrims landed?
@Trensue (5256)
Yes - they should do it all. We spend over $100,000 to have them move furniture around in the white house - if we are going to have a holiday tree we can have them all. I want my cake and I want to eat it too.
@Canellita (12058)
As I was passing through the hallway with my students on the way to bus duty today I noticed a new bulletin board decoration that showcased the celebrations of all the different cultures. I wanted to take a picture of it but I did not have time. I have to try and get one this week because it's really cute though I doubt they are doing much in the way of promoting cultural literacy of all the different celebrations.
@anniepa (27238)
Is this just a coincidence? Snopes.com debunked an identical claim several months ago. Read it here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/ornaments.asp Claim: The White House has decreed that its 2009 Christmas trees will be referred to as "Holiday trees" and will not display ornaments bearing religious themes. FALSE Example: [Collected via e-mail, August 2009] Hello all, Thought you might be interested in this information from the White House. This isn't a rumor; this is a fact. We have a friend at church who is a very talented artist. For several years she, among many others, has painted ornaments to be hung on the various White House Christmas trees. The WH sends out an invitation to send an ornament and informs the artists of the theme for the year. She got her letter from the WH recently. It said that they would not be called Christmas trees this year. They will be called Holiday trees. And, to please not send any ornaments painted with a religious theme. She was very upset at this development and sent back a reply telling them that she painted the ornaments for Christmas trees and would not be sending any for display that left Christ out of Christmas. Just thought you should know what the new residents in the WH plan for the future of America. If you missed his statement that "we do not consider ourselves a Christian Nation" this should confirm that he plans to take us away from our religious foundation as quickly as possible. Origins: During the eight years of the George W. Bush administration, First Lady Laura Bush chose particular (non-religious) themes for the White House Christmas trees, and then sent ornaments to related organizations and asked them to select artists to decorate them in accordance with the given theme. In 2007, for example, the theme was "Holiday in the National Parks," and ornaments were sent to each of the 391 national parks in the United States for decoration. Likewise, for a "Red, White and Blue Christmas" in 2008, Mrs. Bush asked members of Congress to pick artists to decorate ornaments showcasing the 435 congressional districts in the United States. (That latter year's effort prompted a minor controversy when a Seattle artist rudely submitted an ornament bearing the words "Impeach Bush.") In mid-2009 an e-mail began circulating claiming that this year the White House sent out a letter brusquely informing past participants that henceforth arboreal adornments would be referred to as "Holiday trees" (rather than "Christmas trees") and that submission of ornaments decorated with religious themes would not be welcome. We could not confirm (through anyone connected with the White House or otherwise) whether the practice established by Laura Bush will continue throughout the Obama administration, but according to White House spokeswoman Kate Bedingfield, the claims made in the e-mail are untrue: There is no truth to this, and the letter referenced in the e-mail does not exist. No letter has gone out yet from the White House pertaining to Christmas tree ornaments. The trees in the White House will be called Christmas trees, and the tree on the Ellipse will be called the National Christmas Tree. There will be no name changes. The closest match to the events described in this e-mailed rumor appears to be an earlier brouhaha involving the Capitol Christmas Tree, which is set up every Christmas holiday season on the West Front lawn of the U.S. Capitol. Each year one of the fifty states is afforded the honor of supplying that season's Capitol Christmas Tree, along with 75 smaller trees to be dispersed around the Capitol, and residents of that state are invited to create and submit ornaments for display on those trees. In 2009, that honor fell to the state of Arizona. The Capitol Christmas Tree program spurred a controversy in the autumn of 2009 over guidelines issued to the sponsoring U.S. Forest Service agency by the Architect of the U.S. Capitol's Office stating that submitted ornaments could not reflect religious or political themes. However, according to that agency, those were outdated regulations that had been inadvertently disseminated via the Capitol Christmas Tree web site and had since been rescinded: There was information that no religious or political ornaments would be allowed on the tree. But according to USDA forest service spokesman Jim Payne, it came from old information posted on the U.S. Capitol Christmas tree website and has since been removed. You can also read about it here: http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/barackobama/a/white_house_christmas_ornaments.htm This articles tells about the same e-mail, which is strikingly similar to what you posted here. Is your friend the same one mentioned in these e-mail forwards that were being circulated back in the summer? No offense intended, just asking... Annie
@Trensue (5256)
I got my information in an art studio owned by a commissioned artist - complete with the sizes and other expectations. I didn't and don't do the circular emails. She just received her final instructions this week. Since it was addressed to her personally and contained the seal I assume it was meant for her.
If this is in fact true why does the artist not scan in the letter onto a website, send it to scopes, to urban legends and to the White House as proof?
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey Trensue! I can't believe this! I had not heard this yet! What the hell is he talking about? And what does that mean exactly? I also never put religious decorations up on my tree either, but I never would destroy something if someone gave it to! I came from a Jewish Family and I love Christmas so when I moved out of my house I always got a Christmas tree! I didn't call it a Holiday tree! I just don't quite understand what this man, our President is thinking! Why is he insulting people like this? What was his response to this question?
@Trensue (5256)
Okay enough of the holidays - I am just done. Have a great night.
Opal 26, Please do not believe any unsubstantiated rumours. Some of the statements in this post cannot be backe up by facts and should be treated as an urban legend. See also Scopes.
Well um.... has someone forgot to tell him that Christmas IS a religious holiday. SO you really can't take religion out of it. This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. But it does not suprise me that he is doing it.
Well, he is not doing that. So why do people malign other people by perpetuating unproven rumours.
@yecal10 (145)
If your information is correct this is horrifying. I cannot respond. I sure hope you are wrong about this.
@nzinky (822)
Don't you know that people who don't believe in GOD do this kind of thing.....I'm like you I also want a National Christmaa Tree but the man who is in the White House doesn't believe in GOD I figured that out when he wouldn't have National Pray Day but invited all the Muslins to pray on the White House lawn...... Also another clue was when he went to all the Arab Countries and said that the United States was a Muslin Country.....So as long as he runs the country you can bet that he won't praise GOD and will destroy anything that is religon will be destroyed......
@gabs8513 (48716)
It sounds like it is getting as bad there with you like it is here in the UK I am not being nasty or anything but why do our Countries have to give up their Traditions to suit others what are the Government trying to do? Christmas is different for everyone in Countries but why are we not aloud to have the traditional Christmas of our Country that has been around for years and years I have to say this statement about the Trees is disgusting to try and take this away from People They will always be Christmas Trees no matter who says different I would be angry to Trensue as it is going against everything that we have known all our Life's
@clrumfelt (5424)
I don't like Obama's take on Christmas either. But it doesn't surprise me at all because he is Muslim and honors extremism and extremist Muslims are probably offended by Christmas.