This is why people work in rescue

@ElicBxn (60771)
A little black and white cat was nearly dead when he was found, but the staff of this shelter didn't give up on him. And he more than proved he was worth it. But WHY was he out in first place? Honestly, feral cats die all the time, but they learn to find safe places and they resist strange cats joining their groups. One of my cats was just a little kitten out on an below freezing night when a mylotter found him the next morning, he was one cold cat. He still doesn't like to be cold, and he's now 2 years old. He was just a lucky kitten that he was "put out for the night" in San Antonio Texas, not some place colder. I have another cat who was also rescued as a kitten "put out for the night" in Houston Texas, Scamp. It wasn't as cold, but it was a stormy, raining November night he was put out on. Cats need to be kept safe if they are pets, they don't know how to take care of themselves. I know some people here let them out into the garden, but at least they don't put them out for the night in bitter weather. http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/pets/2009-11-24-pet-talk-icee_N.htm
@dragon54u (31605)
I don't know why people put their pets out for the night at all! Especially cats, they can be very fragile. There are a lot of strays here in my neighborhood and I feed them in the cold weather--they don't seem to want or need it when it's warm but they come every evening when it's cold. They sleep in old buildings and garages with holes in them. I wish I could shelter them all--and neuter/spay them, too!
@ElicBxn (60771)
you and me both, dragon, as it is, I have nearly 30 cats in the house and a stray I feed outside when I see him all the inside cats have been fixed, most of them are touchable - heck, I was petting Star, our oldest feral the last couple of nights. besides the current cats, we've also run other adults thru the house/system and they all leave fixed...
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Ignorance is the main reason, Dragon, with thoughtlessness & self-centered arrogance a close second. Thank you for doing the Godly thing to help your fur-neighbors. There are blessing given to folks such as you! I, too, wish with all my heart I could take them all in, though I know it's impossible. I don't gamble, but if I were ever to find a winning lotto ticket, my first dream has always been to start a no-kill shelter for animals of all kinds. Since that's not going to happen (), I do what I can to support the ones which do exist, & try to lobby for more. Maggiepie STALKERS WILL BE EATEN!...^..^
Elic, you have thirty cats in your home? That can be seen as a form of cruelty, too, by the animal police, unless you can keep a spotless home, free of cat litter smells and have evidence you provide complete vet care for all thirty cats. I love cats, but never would I have that many in my home. There would be so many litter boxes, there would be no room to walk, unless they all use the same one - which they definitely should not. Unless you do nothing all day except care for the cats, watering , feeding, emptying and refilling litter boxes, making sure they all have their shots, have clean places for them to sleep, etc., how can all thirty be given sufficient care? Sometimes even when our hearts are in the right place, it's better to save a few than risk the lives of many when there aren't enough hours in the day to supply proper care.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
People shouldn't be allowed to have pets that mistreat them like that. Takes a sorry person to do a helpless cat or dog like that.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]I don't usually post "metoo" posts, but---100% agreement from me, Antique! And whenever I find someone mistreating any animal (or child or anyone), I take charge & DO something. I report it, or as I've done for certain animals, I flat-out take the cat or dog...steal it if I have to! "It's mine now you (CENSORED!!) twit. I don't care how you howl or threaten or what you do! You lost any 'right' to keep that creature when you treated it badly," is what I say! That's my method & I'm sticking to it! Maggiepie STALKERS WILL BE EATEN!...^..^
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
Way to go. One of my biggest peeves is someone who mistreats children in any way. I have never understood how someone could abuse ot molest a child. I think everyone caught doing that should be put in front of a firing squad, no questions ask. Have a good one, maggie.
@MJay101 (711)
Glad to hear that the wee critter made it! A while ago, when my other half and I were on holiday in Lesvos, we came across a very scraggy, tired-looking kitten. The poor thing was too weak to move and just sat in the shade all day... We fed it cat food (bought from the shop) and sardines, but it seemed very ill. Eventually, some other English guests arranged for a vet to collect the critter; we saw her off on our last full day. I like to think that she made it. It makes me sad - and angry - when people mistreat animals, especially cats.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b] I knew I liked you. ((((hugs!))))) I think she made it, because unless there is some disease involved, kittens can, with proper care, revive swiftly, usually. They can also die just as quickly if left untreated for hunger & deprivation. So thank you so much for your kindness to that little fur-person. God bless you & your "other half!" Maggiepie STALKERS WILL BE EATEN!...^..^
@chulce (1540)
Elic, Small world, I'm just up the road from you. We have a huge problem here in Kerrville, with feral cats. Recently, we had a neighbor how got a new kitten, she put the poor little dear outside. I went and let her know that it needed to be protected. She gave me the strangest look as if I came from some alien planet. I explained to her that a cat the size she had couldn't protect itself from the cold. It was down in the 20's that night. She just rolled her eyes and went back in leaving the cat sitting outside. I took it into my home then set the little guy by her door the next morning. She came out and fed the poor thing. I noticed however that after I did that, the kitten has been staying inside at night. I wonder if she got the message.
@ElicBxn (60771)
Me and the cats - I am under there
my bro goes to that folk festival every year, he's finally given up on the camping part I'm glad to hear the neighbor is keeping the baby inside now, honestly, it would've stayed at my house...
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]I'm proud to be your fellow Texan, Chulce! Good on you! And, like Elic, I wouldn't have given her a second chance. That's one which would've come home with me, as well. But I would always check back the next night just to make sure, at the very least, as you apparently have. Thank you! Maggiepie STALKERS WILL BE EATEN!...^..^
@blue65packer (11835)
There wouldn't be any need for animal shelters if people weren't naive,stupid,uncareing,and neglectful with their cats,dogs and other animals! People need to stop and think! I'm sure they wouldn't like it if they had to stay out all night with no shelter in storms! Maybe if people had to through that they wouldn't do it to their cats!
@ElicBxn (60771)
Really, I once challenged a person about putting a kitten out - I asked - would you put a 2 yr old child out? That's a baby, its the same as putting a 2 yr old out. If you don't want a cat inside the house, then you don't want a cat.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Wow, Elic! If this had been my discussion, that last statement alone would have earned you a Best Response! I could not have said it better myself! Maggiepie STALKERS WILL BE EATEN!...^..^
@gabs8513 (48764)
It is because these People just do not care which makes me angry, when I had my 4 Cats in the Summer they would come in and out as they wanted to as soon as it got colder they would stay in specially at Night, if one of them was not in I would go out and look for them as I wanted them in I remember one Night, my little Simba was nowhere to be seen in the House, so in the storm we where having I went out to look for him, I got home all upset and would not go to bed, I decided to go up and get changed into my warm PJ'S and Dressing Gown as I was cold, and guess who found in the Draw nice and warm and asleep, yep, my Simba lol I just wish when People get Pets that they would care for them properly
@kaylachan (4776)
The truth of the mater is this: Animals, ferial or domestic are simply that, animals. It doesn't matter their status. Instinct drives them to protect themselves. However, people expanded around the enveronment thease animals once called home. There are less and less woodlands especially in larger more urban areas. Those cats you thought owners "put out" weren't put out, as they were abandoned. People have their reasons for doing so. Most can't handle having cats as pets. Others move and feel that the cat can fend for itself. Whatever the reason its animal crulity. Bottom line, you have good people and bad people. Cats that can survive and cats that can't. That's why the Aspca exists. Just take care of your cats to the best of your ability.
@riyasam (16578)
yes,cats or for that matter no pets should be treated in such inhuman fashion,maybe these cats may find their way to the hands of kind people who can treat them with care...
@Lakota12 (42684)
at ;eastthey saved him!
@ElicBxn (60771)
honestly, it wouldn't have been much of a story if they hadn't, but it was a great story none the less.
@Lakota12 (42684)
yes It was!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
I would hope that if my cat Sunny is still out there, that somebody would take as much trouble with him.
@ElicBxn (60771)
me too Dawn, me too
@Sir_bobby88 (8245)
it is touching to hear so noble stories , salute to those people . But i guess every job has it own pile of trouble to deal with also yea . not always that noble.
@ElicBxn (60771)
very true, those shelter workers did a wonderful thing for Icee, I'm sure that he will find a good home
@paula27661 (15899)
I am, as you know, a lover of all cats and it saddens me so much that people would put these beautiful creatures ‘out for the night’. Who does that? I have cats that do not ever leave the house because I want to keep them and the birdlife safe so they stay indoors day and night! I have a little kitten that looks just like Icee which I took home from our local animal shelter on Saturday. I was so impressed by the work they do there and the way the animals are looked after. They workers there were telling me that they never put the animals down because they have foster carers to take them when there is an excess. It has made me consider a job working with animals and your discussion has confirmed that. Thank goodness Icee made it!
@ElicBxn (60771)
Honestly, the birds can fend for themselves - my cats aren't too keen on that much jumping - tho Rygel might manage to get one if he got out. Most of the birds around here are birds I don't care much about, but since my cats are strictly inside, nobody can say my cats are catching their birds. Now, my next door neighbor has some big birds she puts in cages on the back porch in the summer, and the feral cats, I understand, will sit and look at them, but they have inside cats so that doesn't worry them like birds with not cats to be used to.
Cats can get away from people who don't carefully close their doors, especially if they are curious about what is outside.
@ElicBxn (60771)
I agree, and they tend to look for them. Obviously Icee's people aren't looking for him. I've got a few escape artists, but we keep looking if they get out
@bellis716 (4806)
I agree that if some one has a cat as a pet, they should keep him safe. We got our cat from the local animal shelter or city pound. He was about 18 months old at the time and had been at the shelter for nearly 3 months without being claimed. He had to have been some one's pet, as he was too friendly to have been a feral cat. The animal warden said that he came right to him when he picked him up. I don't know if his previous owners moved off and left him, or if he got out, got picked up, and they didn't have the money to get him out of the shelter, or what. Anyway, he's ours now, and he only goes outside to go to the vet for his yearly shots. He doesn't even want to go outside. He'll sit at the door while we come and go and never offer to go out.
@ElicBxn (60771)
I had 2 cats that I first thought were pretty wild, but after I finally got my hands on them, they were like - oh! Yeah! that's good! scratch there! and they remembered being tame
@hhmfw0 (45)
I really don't know why those people treat animals like this.They are just viridity,small animals.Human should become their friends. I once have a dog,I love it very much,he is also very cute and meek. I think everyone should treat animals friendly,never do"put them out for nights".
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]I wish there were some sort of enforceable law that demanded pet owners learned proper care & feeding of their dependent charges, but it's really impossible to enforce such a law on any regular basis. So, thank you, Elic, for reminding everyone that these are DOMESTICATED creatures, & can't live long when shoved outside. Their lives are constantly at risk, from dangerous weather (& even if it's fine when you put them out--weather can change!), other animals, nasty humans (including even vicious kids), traffic, poisons & diseases, & a host of other things. You never know what could happen! People need to understand that having a pet is a lifetime (of the pet) responsibility, & that, contrary to common opinion, cats, especially, are not truly "independent!" GUARD YOUR LITTLE FUR-PERSONS, PEOPLE! Don't you love them? Maggiepie STALKERS WILL BE EATEN!...^..^
hi Elic, Some people makes me so angry putting their out while they are all tucked up warm indoors, cats are part of the family and they are like children, so would they put their children out in the cold at night? I have a catflap so they are free to go in and out as they pleases and most time they are indoors, they only go out to do their business and come running in, they hate the cold and rain. What is the big idea of lettig the cat out at night anyway? idoits!!! Tamara
@BarBaraPrz (19399)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Thanks for that heartwarming story. =^..^=