I wasn't prepared for this!

On Thanksgiving I saw my whole family. That included my dad! He is 85 and his health hasn't been the greatest. In the spring he had a milded stroke. About 2 months ago he spent like a week in the hospital because of fluid around the heart. He had go to the local nursing home to get even better. At 85 it takes longer to get back on your feet! He still walks with a cane and has to live with his girlfriend. He probaly won't be able to live alone again. Anyway at 85 his memory is bad. I found out because of his stroke his memory is even worse then it has been! He keep asking me the same question over and over! It was about me being in contact with his girlfriend's son. At first I had no idea what he was talking about! Later I figured it out but it was getting very annoying! I hate to admit that! I realize now I have to except the really bad memory and don't let it bother me! At least know when I see him again I will be prepared! I just hope I am not that bad at that age!
@weasel81 (2501)
sorry to hear about your dad, least he's still alive thou. try putting up with younger family member who you don't see that often and come across as air heads. my cousin did a very simular thing a few yrs back, asking about what i do. drive you nuts, but older people you can understand more than younger ones.
Thanks for the response! Yes it is easier to except older people with memory lose. It drives my crazy when younger act like that and they shouldn't!
@happy6162 (3011)
Sorry to hear about your dad. It is hard to see our love ones when they get old and start forgetting things. Now that you know about his memory lost you will be prepared for the next time you see your dad. Do not be hard on yourself you did not know how bad your dad real was.
hi blue65packer no you wont be that bad if you take care of your health now and eat properly with the healthiest foods you can find and above all keep your weight down so you do not get highblood pressure then strokes. if you are healthy now and ten years later still healthy you will be a healthier old man. I am fairly health at 83 for a diabetic as I try to eat healthy foods. but start now to maintain proper weight and eat for good health and you will have it made by the time you are your dad's age. good luck and God bless.
Thanks for the response! So far I have not become a diabetic! It does run in my family! Seconly my mom had high pressure and that hasn't happen! I know being obese increases those risks! I am trying to exercise by walking and trying to maintance my weight! I do need to lose some weight but with Christmas coming up I just want to main my current weight! I am trying to eat better but it is hard! I know I can do it! I want to live a long,long life!
@gabs8513 (48715)
Hi Blue It is very frustrating and really you should have been prepared for this as it is not an easy thing to deal with Do not worry about you getting that bad at that age Keep your mind working, make sure you get the Vitamins you need and just try to be as Healthy as you can keep yourself