Would you bring bananas for a potluck beach picnic?

My friends and I reminiced about our birthday potluck beach picnic . . . but we had to laugh about one memory. This potluck was a sort of celebration of everyone's birthday. We planned it so everyone would bring a pre-determined dish. My friend made sandwiches, I brought the drinks and coolers, etc etc. We had one friend who was too busy with work (plus she didn't cook), so we figured let her bring the fruit. By fruit, we meant either fruit salad . . . or cut up pieces of fruit. Money is not an issue with her, so we figured she could easily go to the store and buy some precut/packaged fruit. We just told her to bring "fruit". So what does she bring? A bunch of bananas! Ok, maybe we should have been more specific? We all laugh til this day . . . who the heck brings bananas to the beach for a potluck? It was just a strange choice - we thought. What do you think?
@cream97 (29166)
Hi, much2say. I don't see anything wrong in what she brought. She was told to bring fruits. So that is what she brought. It was a bunch of bananas meaning that it was enough to go around. Bananas is an all around seasonal fruit. It grows during all these seasons. It was different, but it was nice of her to at least bring something. She probably did not have the time to prepare a fruit salad. Give her a break. She was being thoughtful for bringing bananas and for showing up. I am not trying to be rude, but I am just telling you how I truly feel.
You're not being rude. I know at least she brought something . . . it's the thought that counts, right? But most people bring something a bit "more" for potlucks . . . maybe it was wrong to assume she would think of something like that. We've all been to enough of our get togethers to know that fruit means something like fruit salad . . . so it was really bizarre to see her bring a bunch of bananas. And all of us thought that was weird . . . anyway - it gave us a funny memory about it!
@cream97 (29166)
I can see your input on this matter. If it is an potluck picnic, then there are certain foods that you are accustomed to bringing. And maybe the bananas were not a fruit that one usually brings. It makes sense. You are right, it is the thought that counts!
Oh - and I was just thinking that it was a birthday celebration too . . . so bananas were just an odd choice. I mean there are "other" festive beachable fruits . . . like berries or melon . . . why bananas?? (Maybe because she drives us bananas? Hee hee). Oh well, at least it was "something" . . . I suppose if we were hit by a hurricane and had only our picnic to survive on, bananas would have been welcomed - ha ha.
This really gave me a good laugh. So, as you say, money is not an issue for this friend upfront, however she is apprantly very conscious of where her every penny goes and that is why she decided to bring bananas to your potluck. She figured that you said to bring fruit and she decided that bananas were the most economical choice. That said, I would not bring bananas to a potluck. Heck, I am the kind of person that feels guilty if I were to go to a potluck and I don't cook the dish that I take.
Hee hee - believe me, it made us laugh too. Actually we were kind of appauled at the time. It was just a strange choice to bring to a get together like this . . . none of us has ever served plain bananas before. Seriously, isn't it more logical to bring something "juicy" like berries or melon at least to compliment a picnic? Bananas are just bananas! I, too, would rather bring something "more" to a potluck . . . bananas just kind of fit into a misfit food category when it comes to potlucks!
If it happened in the Philippines, our city, or in particular in our office, nobody would find it weird or wrong to bring bananas. We always do that. We create groups of people to bring specific kinds of food. Those in charge of fruits bring anything, bananas included. It may not be a popular favorite fruit but surely there are those who love bananas. I always find the bananas being consumed in the office parties, next to mangoes and watermelons. Most people refrain from the sweet, creamed fruit salad and prefer to eat them fresh.
I actually thought about that. I had wondered how our friends in the tropical countries would answer to this discussion . . . because bananas are abundant! I'm in the US, and there are fruits / fruit dishes that people typically bring to picnics/potlucks . . . but plain bananas are usually not apart of that scenario (at least amongst my circle of friends/family). Fruit salad can just be different cut up fruit tossed in bowl . . . no cream or sugar or anything other than the natural fruit. I guess what I'm saying is that for all of us to bring something that took time to cook, bringing bananas was a cop out for my friend.
I guess strange being that it was a "pot luck" or party of sorts. Who knows why she picked bananas? Maybe their are her fav?
Yah, I would hardly think that bananas were "party" food! I don't know if they are her favorite . . . she hardly eats anything "healthy" - but perhaps it was most convenient (bananas need no utensils or plates). I don't think she even touched the bananas that day.
Bananas is a little weird of thing to bring to a potluck..When I think about potlucks, I usually think about many different people bringing home-made dishes like pastas, cakes, salads, and so on. But at least she brought something, right?
That's exactly what we thought. Most people bring something a little "more" for potlucks - it doesn't have to be extravagant, but there are some set potluck items that people bring. Bananas were just weird . . . and no one even touched them. Not to say they are bad . . . they're just not a potluck item. Yah, at least she brought something - I guess.