How do you see your "pay raise" or "bonus" at work?

Most people see their pay raise as a reward for a job well done. As my friend put it, that means the people upstairs are satisfied for the job you've been doing . . . keep up the good work. My father sees it differently. He actually sees a pay raise as a burden, believe it or not. With a pay raise, he thinks that means you have to work harder. Also with holiday gifts and bonuses from his clients/customers, he feel obliged to give something in return (well, that's not a bad thing, but he thinks at least almost equal in value which means the bonus is already spent) or again, he needs to work harder from then on. Is this a strange view? Anyone else have similar feelings as he does?
Well, the way that I view it actually depends on the circumstances under which I received the raise. For example, I had a job where they gave an across the board raise of three percent one year. I didn't ever even think twice about that one because everyone had gotten the same kind of raise that year. However, at another job that I worked at where it was almost unheard of for someone to receive a raise, I really thought of it as a gift and yes, the fact that I got a raise did inspire me to work harder.
I think these days it's almost unheard of to hear of anyone getting a raise - eek - times are tough for sure! You were saying "inspired" to work harder . . . but I think my father felt "obligated" to work harder. I think my dad is dreading the holidays as it's coming up . . . that means people will be giving him stuff and he'll feel obligated to do more in the new year!
Well, at the job I'm working now I see my 'pay raise' being drawn ito the massive black hole that is the executive's bonus, never more to be seen by the one who earned it..me..Enjoy!
Eek - into the black hole . . . whoosh! I think many people are seeing that just as you are - a freeze in pay raises! I remember at my last job, our boss gave us a frozen turkey as a bonus. Um, like I would rather have had the cash, but getting these turkeys was probably cheaper for him. Well, hope you get a pay raise soon!
@colu41 (273)
I have gotten a few for "a job well done". But most seen are given for your anniversary date. I've been at my place of work for 2 years and 3 months, and I got my 3 month raise, 2 "job well done/I'm doing better than everyone pay me more" raise, and 2 for my 1st year, and 2nd year. =)
That is true . . . most raises are given on the anniversary date - after a review. Some people are given automatic raises, but perhaps not so much these days - I know many companies have a freeze on their pay raises. Well, hopefully you will continue to get these raises for a job well done!
I feel the opposite way. I mean, sure, you want to make the company you work for PROUD of you, but I don't think their expectations of you or your job CHANGE just because you get a raise. I think pay raises and bonuses are generally a way for your bosses/management to recognize you as a good employee, and to reward you for your performance. I don't think it's to say "..Now you MUST excel more than you do, now that we're paying you such and such more.." I think THAT only comes with it if you're getting a promotion or moving into another position, too, where more is expected of you. I got a raise.. about a year ago, only of .25 cents an hour, but I was pretty pleased about that! Every little bit helps, right?! And I try to make the big bosses happy by doing my job and making theirs easier - but I've been doing that all along.
I agree. Pay raises are basically rewards for what you've been doing as an employee . . . it's not a bribe or payment to push you to do more. But yes, to go onto the next level of a position, there would be more of an expetiation. Yes, ANY raise these days helps . . . anything to bulk up that pay check!! You sound like a good worker . . . so keep it up!