Emoticons! MORE Please!!! :o)

@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Some folks don't like emoticons, & think only simple-minded folks use them. They have a very short-sighted view of we who like them, & say that they're only used because we lack the writing skills to express ourselves clearly...that we use them as a crutch. For some folks who use the, they may have a point, but I still think that even if that was the sole reason someone chooses to use them so what? They're probably aware of their lack of communication skills, so I give them praise for seeking a harmless way to clarify their messages. It might also be, as some think, "juvenile." Again I say, so? I'm at the beginnings of my second childhood; I have the right to do child-like things! But my main two reasons for using them are: - Fun. - So that the less understanding folks who read my (perfectly clear) posts can't possibly miss my point (being misunderstood is one of my deepest fears), & later claim they thought I'd meant something else--maybe even something mean or ugly. That never happens when I use a smiley! So if I'm, e.g., teasing, an emoticon will be right there with a gentle smile. If I'm shocked, the emoticon underlines it. If I don't understand them, they'll know they must try again to clear up their point, etc., etc. I'm curious as to why we're limited to only 3 emoticons--why not 5? In my longer posts, many points may need emphasis--not merely 3! I know we shouldn't have unlimited emoticons; these posts are about selling ads, after all, & that, therefore, words must be used, but 3? NOW...here comes the main point: I want more types of emoticons! There's a paucity of things covered by the current crop! How many of the following would others here like added to the present stable? FEAR, SICK, DISTRACTED, TOTALLY ASLEEP & SNORING, WORKING HARD, HARDLY WORKING, VALENTINE, STAR, FLOWER(S), CUP OF COFFEE, DUNCE CAP, MORTAR BOARD CAP &/or DIPLOMA, ANGEL, IMP, PRAYING, CHRISTMAS TREE, EVIL, UP ALL NIGHT, PARTY!, CHEERING, IGNORING YOU... Any others you'd like to see? The above were just some off the top of my head. I've thought of others before. Have fun! Go with it! Maggiepie STALKERS BEWARE! ATTACK CAT INSIDE!___^..^
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
@thea09 (18327)
• Greece
Hi Aunty, I think we should have a nice wavey smilie just to say hello in passing as now.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
Any is fine w/me. I have always loved smiley faces. Have a good weekend.
@thea09 (18327)
• Greece
Hi Mags, I don't know if you saw Tingtongs discussion on adding more smilies I think just two days ago, but basically the same as this one. I'll stick with the choices I gave there one of which was for TROLL go away, one was a wavey. But certainly your addition of a good cup of coffee (none of your American coffee bags inside though) would be a great choice too.
@thea09 (18327)
• Greece
Lamby.
@thea09 (18327)
• Greece
I can never believe that Texas gets snow, one imagines it arid and sun drenched. I noticed that the other discussion was the highest rated of the day but as I say your intro was different and there is a huge spate of repeat discussions at the moment for some reason. No, I have YOU on the coffee bags, an American horror there. Dawn told me about them yesterday, can you imagine anything more foul, who can possibly use them. I've now extended the use of the brik beyond Greek coffee which I'm most happy about as it fits on the tiny little gas thingy I bought in anticiaption of the many winter power cuts.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Ack! Just noticed the time! 6:37 A.M.! Been up all night! After this post, I need to hit the sack! But first, an answer to you. Yes, we're a large state (though, alas, second to Alaska...). We get all sorts of climates & landscapes! Flat dry desert (where it snows), rich piny woods & rolling hills (where it snows), Austin, in central Texas which is green year around with live oaks, & water-rich with lakes & a river, & yes, horribly hot summers...(but where it sometimes snows) & the rocky but still green places such as Enchanted Rock (second only to Ayers, in Australia, in size) (where it snows), humid swamps & delta areas such as Houston (near a huge sugar cane & rice-growing area) & Galveston, both cities where it rains a lot, & freezes, too, & gets snow in the tops of its palm trees every few years...& then there's the scrubby North Texas area, one of the larger ranching areas (where it snows every winter). Aboout the only place the stereotype is correct is far South in Texas, near the border. There, it's hellishly hot, sometimes even in Winter! You've obviously seen too many Hollywood flicks, where California is used for most of the films supposedly set in Texas! If you want to see what Texas "typically" looks like--in the middle at least--try to get hold of the video of "Lonesome Dove," a fine Western TV series. No, I have YOU on the coffee bags, an American horror there. Hmm! New to me. If I could afford fancier coffee, I'd use it, but on my salary, I can't even always afford a decent instant! I've now extended the use of the brik beyond Greek coffee "Brik?" Well, I'm about to crash, here, as in nod off at the computer, so I'm outta here, but thanks for the reply! Maggiepie STALKERS BEWARE! ATTACK CAT INSIDE!___^..^
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Actually you only have to look at Yahoo or MSN messenger to come up with additional ones that would be good. I'm pretty sure a nauseous looking green faced one would be very appropriate in some situations. I could use a rolling on floor laughing one also. Waving bye bye. Now you've got me on a roll.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Oh sure, they have lots, but can one copy & paste their emoticons into this forum? If so (which I doubt), would MyBot recognize (& use) them? And what if we used more than 3? I'd try to find out using my computer, but I've learned to let a pro-tech handle such things as codes; I mess up my computers when I try such things! But I'm certainly willing to try, if you know the answers to that. Even so, from the fact that I've never seen an "alien" emoticon anywhere in this forum, I feel justified in deducing that it just can't be done here. After all, if people could do that, we'd see them all over the place! And we don't. But oh, just imagine if it were possible! Maggiepie LEGALIZE THE CONSTITUTION!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
No you can't use them here, but people could go there to get ideas to respond to this discussion. That's all I mean. Would be nice if you could just copy them in, wouldn't it?
@stephcjh (32327)
I like to use the emoticons ever so often. I hardly ever to think to use them though. I am in too big of a hurry. I like to make my own emoticons sometimes too without even thinking of the ones available to me here.
How can you see the emoticons when they are so small and not in a bold format when you say you need everything printed in bold to be able to read them?
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b] You have to be pulling my leg! The emoticons are far larger than the little gray letters, PLUS they're bright yellow! And I don't believe I said I couldn't read the letters at all, just that my eyes tire easily, & the gray type makes them so, AND I have to squint! Now don't try to pull the other one; I only came with a set of two! Maggiepie STALKERS BEWARE! ATTACK CAT INSIDE!___^..^
@KompitaPita (2053)
• Bulgaria
Hi there Maggie pie. I think we really need more emoticons here. Sometimes the words are not enough for us to show what we mean. More emoticons = more good understanding - I also think that sometimes without emoticons is hardly to understand if somebody is joking whit you. I don't like that we cannot use emoticons before we reach two hundred posts - that makes some people spamming and answering on some discussions not because they found the discussion interesting, but they need to reach that points to their profile so they will be able to use emoticons here. It's a good idea Admins to input some new and different emoticons. But from all that I know here emoticons are not tolerate as we can use only three on one response. I hope that Admins will do something so we will have more emoticons and for us will be better and more funny. Have a nice day and Happy My-Lotting.
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Hello Kompitapita! (Love that name! ) You are correct; sometimes we do "need" the emoticons for complete understanding. I've seen arguments begun for lack of smileys! I understand, too, your frustration at the policy of forcing one to wait until 500 posts are done before granting privileges. It didn't bother me about not having emoticons, though. What I found the most frustrating was not being able to copy & paste! Had I been able to speed things up by copying & pasting someone's letter into my answer field, instead of having to hope I could remember it correctly, I'd have been able to refer to their exact post, & I would have reached 500 a lot faster!! When I hit that magic number, finally, my pace did greatly increase! I still don't understand the reason behind that rule (& that's true of several rules, here, in fact!). Never-the-less, just try to be patient! If you just keep at it steadily, you'll get to 500 soon! Thanks for responding! Maggiepie STALKERS BEWARE! ATTACK CAT INSIDE!___^..^
i know i can add emoticons now but i dont know how. can anyone tell me how? do i need to type them here like the symbol :)
hmmm i just try to copy and paste the smiley but the words appears instead of the symbol. let me see again thumbup
lol i gess i cant hehe.. i wonder how..
@Maggiepie (7821)
[b]Beats me! I tried to add some from the numeric keyboard, using the ALT key & those numbers, but when I went to USE them in here, I was bounced right out of MyBot! Go figure! Thanks for responding, though! Maggiepie___^..^