Getting a ticket for driving too slow

@saizo6 (2211)
This has got to be one of the funniest things I've heard recently. It was during a get together and everyone was just talking and having a good time. Somehow we got to talking about speeding tickets and everyone who has gotten one was telling their stories and we were all laughing. Then all of the sudden my aunt joins in the conversation and mentions that she got a ticket recently too. And it wasn't for what we thought either. Apparently she got a ticket for going too slow instead of the other way around. We all thought she was joking but it turns out that she wasn't. Everyone pretty much busted a gut laughing after that. It was hilarious. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else too?
@Downwindz (2231)
• Netherlands
That has not happened to me, but i know that you certainly can get tickets for driving to slow, this would though often be on the highway, atleast in Denmark...
@saizo6 (2211)
I suppose it happens here too but we don't really hear about it because the people here tend to go too fast on the highway.
@Downwindz (2231)
• Netherlands
They also tend to go fast on the highways in Denmark, or well some above speed limit, the question is if it isnt more embarrassing to get a ticket for driving to slow compared to driving to fast...?
@saizo6 (2211)
Yeah, I think it is more embarrassing. Getting a ticket for going to fast is a common thing and I don't people would be as surprised to hear about it.
@peavey (15851)
It hasn't happened to me (but it could, since I sometimes drive slowly when looking at things). There is danger in going too slow, as well as going too fast. Slow drivers get in the way of other drivers and aren't able to react as quickly when something happens, except maybe to stop sooner. In my defense, I never drive slowly when in traffic, only on country roads where there are very few other vehicles.
@saizo6 (2211)
It almost feels like a no win situation huh? But you definitely make a good point there. I've also never gotten a ticket for going too slow but I've had the misfortune of driving behind someone who did go way below the speed limit and it was kind of horrible. The driver was on the fast lane and was holding up the traffic quite a bit.
@peavey (15851)
I've heard that it's better to keep up with traffic than to drive with one eye on the speedometer. Worrying about exact speed isn't safe, either, and the reason we have speed limits is for safety's sake. Watching out for the police isn't practical all the time. They're not the problem; our lack of safe driving is.
@Qaeyious (2362)
Actually I can see it happening if it is causing a danger. Like driving slower in the fast lane, or with those going slower on a two lane road where everyone needs to pass. And then I heard the story years ago where they were giving out tickets on Interstate 5 because everyone was speeding, so they ticketed the slower drivers. But that's hearsay.
@saizo6 (2211)
She was driving behind a semi truck on the slower lane. I suppose she didn't want to drive too close to the semi so she was going a bit slower then the limit. I also remember a few years ago when I was coming back home and the cops pulled over 5 cars or something like that for going to fast on I5.
@Qaeyious (2362)
I wish she would have contested the ticket if she was driving behind a truck. I haven't driven in over a decade, but I used to do that, keeping a safe distance behind, of course, so that I wouldn't have to deal with the speeders. Unfortunately they still tailgated, but that's another issue. But if they are legitimately giving tickets for people who do not pass slower vehicles, I think that law is unjust. Just because a jurisdiction is low in fine income, just passing laws like that to raise income for people who do not know such silly laws ... I feel like starting a protest, but I'll need to find more information about this. Was it was on a California interstate? Or if not on the interstate which county or city?
@mermaidivy (15417)
Hello! Yea I didn't know people could get a ticket of driving too slow, I jsut got my learner's permit recently and I was driving 10 mph for practice... it sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? But I only practised on the street around my house so there is not much cars going by. I guess if you drive the minimum speed limit, you won't get a ticket, is that true?
No one I know has ever gotten a ticket for driving too slow. Too fast? Definitely. Myself included. But too slow? It's nice to see that cops are ticketing for that, though, too, as technically that's breaking the law as well!
@saizo6 (2211)
That's true. No matter how ridiculous it might sound at least they are looking out for us that way. Now, if only they would do that in town too...
@smileonstar (4014)
hehehehe... I know, I used to heard that when I went to Traffic School as last. I know sometimes, she drives too slow and make all the traffic slow behind her, so it could be a ticket as well. the police should give her a warming instead of a ticket
@saizo6 (2211)
But wouldn't that be the semi's fault? She was behind that. And I do agree with the warning instead of an actual ticket.
@happy6162 (3011)
No I have never got a ticket for going to slow. It is dangerous for a driver to be going to slow on a highway when all the others are doing the speed limit or over the speed limit. Some accidents are cause from slow driver on highway. There are sign that give you the speed limit and then tell you the minimum speed allowed on the highway they have been posted for along time.
@saizo6 (2211)
The thing was she wasn't going all that slow. It just seemed that way because she was driving behind a semi truck.
L.O.L. That is funnyI have heard of that law but never thought it was true but I guess it is
@saizo6 (2211)
Same here. I didn't think that the cops actually enforced that one since I see so many people going really slow. I guess my aunt was just unlucky that day.
@trisha27 (3505)
Wow that is hillarious, although that is possible I suppose. Lol. Actually I've never gotten a ticket ever, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones. And I'm always driving too fast sometimes, but they never seem to catch me.
@saizo6 (2211)
You're lucky then. I've been driving for a while now and have only gotten one ticket so it's not too bad. I know people that constantly get them for speeding. I'd hate to see what they have to pay for their auto insurance.
@cream97 (29175)
Hi, saizo0. Yes, it may be funny but it is very true. The police can not only stop one from driving too fast or recklessly. But they can also pull one over for driving too slow. Yes, it is odd but look at how many accidents that can emerge from driving too slow or fast. The police gives them a ticket because of the complications that driving too slow could cause if an accident was to happen. In my opinion, driving too fast can cause an accident quicker than one where someone has been driving too slow. I wonder, if they give the elderly a ticket because they drive too slow??
@saizo6 (2211)
I don't know about the elderly one but maybe a warning. Or maybe if it gets so bad they might take away their license.
@benny128 (3624)
well its great hearing that people are getting booked for going too slow, driving too slow or too fast causing crashes. I recently was driving on the motorway 70 mph limit and there was an older gentleman in the middle lane doing 50 mph cars were having to swerve out of the way as you don't expect someone to be doing that sort of speed on a perfectly sunny dry day on the motorway. even lorries were getting stuck behind him and having to undertake him as he just sat in middle lane doing 50 mph.
@saizo6 (2211)
Oh, I hate that. That's happened to me before on the highway. The speed limit was 75mph and the car was going around 60 on the fast lane. And it wasn't moving into the slower lane either. You think the person would have gotten the picture after the 6th car passed them from the right side. But that wasn't the case. Even the semi was passing it.
@umer5222 (724)
• Cyprus
He he he, i just got ticket yesterday, because i was driving too slow, when i watched police on road, I did reduce my speed to avoid getting ticket for overspreading, But they gave me ticket for slow speeding. lol
@saizo6 (2211)
Oh, that's too bad. Was this on the freeway?
Hi friend, good to hear about this, for the first time i am hearing about this news. Most of us are interested in driving fast, but your aunt's story is quite opposite. She got her ticket for slow driving..