December 7, 2009 Darrin MaCarty Retires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@jewels49 (1783)
After 15 seasons..13 of which he did us proud wearing the red and white.McCarty decided it was time to retire. One of the best play off players I've ever seen play the game. He always showed up for the playoffs..and he loved a good fight. Anybody but me remember his break away in 97 that scored the game winner and got us the first cup we had in 42 years? Good luck Mr McCarty.and thanks for the memories.
All the wings I saw in 1997 are leaving it seems1 I love Darrin. I will never forget that Avs game when he scored and scored. One of the tough but clean guys. I'll miss him. I wonder if he is stil playing with his band. Do you know?
@jewels49 (1783)
He does still play in his band. He still lives in Detroit and hangs out with Draper and Cleary..the old grind line found a way to stay together. I guess he is going to be doing some work on VS on a regular basis. That's what Cleary said last night during his post game interview. They played those clips from 97 on fox sports between periods, they are just as exciting all these years later. Larry Murphy said that what made Darrin such a good player was he always gave all he had..not just physically but that he played with his whole heart. I couldn't think of a better way to descibe him. I was so happy when he reached out to Draper to help him get sober and work his way back into a wings jersey. You're right he was always tough but never dirty.
Thanks for the best response.
@ladym33 (11008)
I don't really know that much about that team, but it is always nice to see someone get to retire and be able to enjoy their lives. I wish him all the best and a lively and fun and relaxing retirement.
@jewels49 (1783)
Thank you for the reponse, If I know anything about McCarty, it is that he will enjoy retirement.