The Saga of Making Laws in the Country

@neildc (17267)
Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
[i]November 23, 2009 The day the Philippines was shocked by the revelation of the Maguindanao Massacre where 57 civilians were killed by armed men. At least 30 journalists were included in the tragic killings, where the Ampatuans of the Autonomous Region were suspected to have masterminded the crime. Ten days later, the Philippine President declared Martial Law in the province, to run after the suspects. And now, the Senate and the House of Representatives are debating the legality of the declaration. In the end, it's still the people who are losers.[/i] Anyway, what I wanted to get from you my dear mylotters, is something about the law-making body in our country. Do you think it is necessary to make the House and the Senate merge are one legislative body? I heard about making them one house, but I don't think it will be possible until the coming election is over. I guess, if we have only one legislative house, maybe we will save more money. And the money we can save from having a single house, can be given to the poor, and others. For my friends who are not Filipino, do you also have this two law-making bodies in your country? Or you only have one? What's your thoughts about this?
@rsa101 (13337)
Well the constitution dictates as such making the two body into one when discussing something like this in nature. I am sure that it will take longer than expected since there will be deliberations as to whether the declaration is acceptable or not for the Congress and Senate. Of course Senate in here will just become a minority with the Congress having large number than Senate. Their voice may never even be heard by everyone in the sessions and Congress will be the one who will approve it. Since the Congress is very pro administration, then I think the Proclamation will just be accepted in the end.
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
accepted, as in the Martial Law will exist. i see no wrong about the declaration, but i just hope, this will not get abused. Martial Law should only be up to 60 days and only depends on the situation if it will go beyond that period.
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
it only happens because majority of the house is pro-administration. but if the congress is one and balanced, then they would be no fear for the senate to be abolished. i am just looking at the financial side, that the government could save and eventually could help more people.
@rsa101 (13337)
Yes I am looking forward this coming election. I think the only thing we can really change the current setup is through election, that is if it is really a clean election which I doubt would be if the present administration will make efforts to stay in power. I am hoping that it would be much cleaner with the automation of the election. This might make the counting much more faster and accurate. I do hope that it will be a new one other than the present administration.
@danitykane (3192)
hi neildc, Having one legislative house might really save money for our country but the question is..."will IT really go to our country's budget for future use?" or "it will go to someone else's pocket?" hmmm. anyway....lolz I think the good point of having two legislative houses is... each house can contradict the other in every new law that there is...which means, that it'll be hard to pass a certain law without scrutinizing or verification or study of the same. The good thing about it is that a new law undergone a certain extensive procedure thus, we will be getting a "trusted" and proper law that will work for every Filipinos. Well, that is ...if it really works...knowing the congress alone can pass a it...seeing some of them sleeping on every session kinda ticks me off..nahhh!! haha!
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
anyway, even with the two houses passing a lot of new laws and amending some, we still find some laws that still have to be amended as they are lacking sharp tusks, "walang pangil". or maybe, it's just in the implementation? what do you think? just like for example, the law that says, there is no need for the hospital to ask for downpayment, when someone wants and needed to be hospitalized, and they have no sufficient amount of money. they are being denied confinement.
Oh that one is quite insane...there are several/a number of laws in our country that are needed to be revised but the thing is, a lot of people are contradicting the latter..for instance, the charter change...we are somewhat not trusting our government/legislation to amend some of the proclaimed laws for it may cause excessive power or authority from the higher government. We are fearing of another national martial law or even that parliament government system whereas instead of a chief executive/president we will be having a prime minister as a ruler. So..it's a little mind boggling and crazy...i mean really crazy all at the same time.
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
and we, the poor pinoys, will just wait what will be the legislators will do? we'll just wait for what they will be making for us. and some will just say, "bahala na" for we can't do a thing but to follow the law.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
Hello neil, Too many problems to be prioritized rather than debating with legality with Martial Law or the merging issue. These people are just trying to raise up issues for nonsense,lot of representatives and position in the government offices,but,nothing good projects were being done and implemented. Better to give credit for the city mayors who were trying to make their city a good example,like giving better education and proper health programs for their residents...compared to those talkative ones(just doing blah blah blah) at the higher level with nothing to contribute to make our country a better place to live. Enough of too much speeches..WE NEED ACTION!!!
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
that's right, jaiho, we need more action than words... what is sad to know it that there are some mayors and governors that despite the poverty in their area, they seem to be not starving and never done action to make their constituents have better living condition. say this maguindanao issue. it says that the province is one of the poorest province in the country. i think they are the third of the poorest. but see what they have? a lot of mansions, all the richness in them. but the place is still that and the people are still poor.
@jaiho2009 (39079)
this is really sad...and let's hope and pray for the best for Maguindanao
@jaiho2009 (39079)
and again...
@anne25penn (3310)
I have no idea why our law-makers are so scared of martial law. I mean, there is no reason to declare a nation-wide martial law and I think we won't allow it to happen. People are edgy because of all the things that happened in our country, man-made and natural calamities. As Sen. Enrile pointed out, the martial law enforced in Maguindanao is different from the one declared by Marcos in 1972. They needed it so that they can arrest the perpetrators of the massacre. My only fear is that our government in their effort to cover up their cheating in the last elections will declare Martial Law and then no elections will come next year.
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
yes, that's true and i also fear of it, that they will just cover-up and eventually have no elections to happen next year. by the way, what are your thoughts about the legislative bodies? are favor in a single house or you still prefer the senate and the congress to work together? don't you think we can save a lot of money if we will have one single house in congress?
Joined or separate, it doesn't really matter. What matters is the laws that they can pass/enact which is little in comparison with all the funds given to them. Imagine one senator in their tenure will brag on two to four laws passed. TWO! FOUR! What were they doing all 240 days (okay lets make that 200...its hard to SIT in a chair and act like you're interested in passing laws, so they have to REST) days that they are sitting in their offices? So even if it is a joined session, do you honestly believe that they are saving taxpayer money? What saddens me is that Filipinos are swayed with actor politicians, and politicians are swayed by the entertainment industry. If its not high-profile or controversial or will grant them a photo op, they would not hear of it in congress or senate.
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
i agree. but still, there are some good politicians, or shall we say, congressmen as we are talking about law-making bodies. although they are not showbiz people, when there are someone getting so controversial, of course, the media will get in, so they will get known better by the people. well, we can't tell, maybe they just opt to be controversial to be popular and get to be known for the next elections.
@varron (453)
It is provided in the constitution that we should have two law-making bodies. It is impossible to make them one,making it will result to a constitutional crises. What they are doing is not really law making but just part of their right to argue with the decision of the executive department and just part of their powers. That action is not really making them as one. The merging here occurs only with the discussion on one matter and actually not as unification of the power of the senate and the power of the house of the representatives
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
let's just wait and see what the next president and law makers will do regarding this issue. thanks for responding.
they can't just approve by one law making body but that's the problem. one approves while the other delays
@mentalward (14716)
We have the Senate and House of Representatives here, too. I doubt that making them one in order to save money will do any good for the common people, though. If there was money saved anywhere, they would simply give themselves a raise. They've done this before and I'm sure they will continue to do this until it is made illegal, which I doubt will ever happen. After all, they are the deciding factors of all new laws. They certainly won't allow any law that prohibits them from giving themselves raises! Wouldn't it be nice if we all could give ourselves raises? Wouldn't it be FAIR??? Politicians! BAH!
@mentalward (14716)
I meant Senate and Congress. Geez. Actually, our local congressman is the one politician I can honestly say I like. He has gone above and beyond in helping me with my disability case. By the way, I have good news! I'll tell you later in an email.
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
if only they will think about the people's sake first before they will do something to make them richer and so on. anyway, what the people can do is just follow what they want, in laws they are making. i am glad to hear that even you dislike politicians, you still found one congressman that is ready to help, and had help you with your disability case. i got the good news, and was so surprised. and i am finishing my reply to you while making this post. always take care, dear marti.
it's just all right if we have the senate and the congress in our country but it should have been lesser in number. as of now we have so many congressmen and congresswomen but do you notice that only few of them really talk and share their views while the majority of them are contented waiting for the deliberation to stop so they stand up and go home? i hope that our people would be wise enough to elect the intelligent representatives of their respective places. The same situation in the senate. whom do you see standing and talking intelligently?
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
yes that's true madam. sometimes, i hate to watch the news when you just see a lot of them sitting there doing nothing. when someone talks no-sense. and some talks something against someone. i hate to see them talking like a child, foolishness, in which we expect that the house is crowded with intelligent people. we hardly see lots of them talking smartly, where people have to get more of what they expect to get.
Hello Neil, What's happening in the Congress now is history because both congress and the senate are joined to handle this situation regarding the presidents declaration of martial law. this is awful because the president is not around again due to her what ever reasons and now she sent her tentacles or goons to have them explain her decision. as for me, there's no legality in this declaration. it was all because of the Governments negligence, bias and corruption. and their sins have come to hunt them back
@neildc (17267)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
my opinion on the declaration of martial law. when they said that it was declared just to run for the ampatuans, i guess it's fine. it they can solve the problem in the province and get the suspects in the massacre and let them pay for the victims. but if they did it just to hide something for their own sake, i will not agree with it. i just hope, no one will abuse the present situation in the region and in that province.