Process improvement

@dawnald (84146)
Shingle Springs, California
Saturday night was no fun. I am backing up my friend Jack at work because he's on vacation and he had a screen change being moved into production. Unfortunately, that means getting up in the middle of the night to validate that the screen is working properly before the business comes in in the morning to do their checkout. Used to be, in the good old days, that we would get a phone call when the system was up and ready for us to do our piece. Somewhere in the last year or two that changed and now we are given a schedule and told to log on at a certain time. So I logged on at 1 AM, which was 10 minutes early, just to make sure that I wasn't having any connectivity problems that I would have to call the help desk for. I got on and was told they were running late, 45 - 50 minutes. Oh goody. Not enough time to go back to sleep. So I sat online chatting with people, waiting and playing poppit. They weren't ready for me to do my checkout until 5:10 in the morning. Yep, 4 hours late. What fun. Some of the people I was chatting with had been on for even longer than I had. I want to go back to the good old days when we got a call. Seriously, if the childrens' school district can have an automated system that calls every parent in the district to tell them that school is closed, why can't a business get an automated system that would call all the people who have to do checkout when the system is actually ready for them instead of making them hold online for hours and hours? Dawn doesn't do sleep deprivation well. lol
@savypat (20246)
One does think the bean counters have been at it again. You do wonder when the business you work for starts going backward, I'm sorry you missed your sleep, I know how that feels and it is not fun. Hope you get a good night tonight.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I did get a nice long nap yesterday and a pretty solid night of sleep last night...
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Oh Dawn. The automated system is just too simple for the advanced egg heads that exist within the computer industry. How on earth are they going to be able to justify their bonuses if they can't say that staff had to "work through the night" to deliver something that will keep them employed sorting out the gremlins for the next five years.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
lol I just wonder how many people were online who get paid overtime. I'm "salaried" so I get paid the same whether I work 40 hours or 100...
@p1kef1sh (45640)
For two years I was paid nothing for being on call 24/7/365. Then we moved employer and they started to pay me £120 a month. Not a fortune but at least they recognised the work. I was allowed various allowances but overtime was very unusual. "Salaried" folk are supposed to be professional and not eat! We work for the privilege of doing so. LOL.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yes we do, although occasionally the company provides food. I suppose they don't want us to all die off as they would have to train new people!
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
I would have been totally ticked, that's ridiculous to have to do that to start with. I'd protest, lol.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
If I point out that they were paying people overtime for that foolishness, they might actually listen!
I do not do well with missed sleep either. That is why I am so grouchy. I would be growling pretty loudly if I were in your shoes. You would think that if schools can do it, they can teach us how to get the types of notifications we need.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
It's definitely coming up in the next 'lessons learned' meeting...
I don't mind sleep deprivation at all - PROVIDED I'm really busy. I've spent the whole night (and all the next day) working several times and have enjoyed it because I was able to meet a deadline and completely satisfied with the work achieved. I would NOT appreciate spending hours just WAITING. Did you put in a claim for overtime?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I don't get paid overtime. If mgmt is feeling kind, I may end up getting some comp time.
hi dawnald poor you. I don't think I would do sleep deprivation well either. Yes you need an automated system that would call all of you who have to do checkouts when they are really ready for you. Four hours you could have been snug in bed and that's no fun for sure.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah, I don't mind being up if I'm needed, but it's stupid if I'm just sitting there waiting!
I'm barely following along with your discussion, mainly because I have NO idea of what "check out" means or anything like that, but I wanted to sympathize (or empathize..whichever lol) because anything that's four hours late must be incredibly frustrating, especially when it's something you shouldn't have to be doing in the first place!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
It's a computer thing. We put in some upgrades to my company's computer system. Before we turn the system over to the business, we check certain things out to make certain that they are working correctly! Delays are common. I just think there's a better way to deal with it than making people hang on the line doing nothing!