A bad situation, later turned into a great outcome!

@cream97 (29169)
We moved last year from our trailer. We suddenly got evicted. I used to attend the Parent And Child Workshop's at my son's school. I won an gift certificate. I can't quite remember how I won it. All, I remember is getting up out of my seat to walk towards the front to receive my prize. To my astonishment, I held in my hands a $10.00 gift certificate to The Office School Church Supply. I was the only parent that won this prize. So, as this year went by, I started to think about the gift certificate and how I was not going to be able to use it being that we moved. All of our stuff was packed in a storage. It was very hard to get anything out of there because it was so crowded. I said to myself that I have lost out on a great deal. Well 2009 is here, and I am finally in my own apartment. My husband so happened to get the rest of our items out of storage. And in the stack of the items were many of my personal things. And I discovered the gift certificate. It expired in October 2009, of this year. So, I had an idea, I called the company that this gift certificate was registered to. I asked the clerk if it was possible if they could rewrite me out another gift certificate for the one that I had. I have never used it. So, she told me to hold on. She came back to the phone and told me that I could bring the gift certificate in. I had already told her that it expired in October of this year. She said that it was fine for me to still bring it in. Here I was, thinking that I would never get a chance to use the gift certificate, but I got the chance to. I bought many school supplies for my son. I had fun shopping with him. This was a great experience that I will never forget.
@carpenter5 (6786)
Isn't finding something you didn't know or forgotten you had a great treasure? A couple of weeks ago, when I pulled my winter coat out of the closet for the first time this year, I stuck my hand in my pocket and found a handful of bills! There was $17 and some coins, so I'm thinking it was change from a $20 that I bought something with and just dropped it into my coat pocket!
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, carpenter5! Oh wow! I would have been excited if that was to have happened to me too! I cannot imagine your excitement as you discovered your hidden bills and coins! This is great to hear about! That is a lot of money that can be used for something that you may need. You better go and check some more pockets to see if you have anymore hidden money.
I usually have the same experience as you,everytime before I wash my clothes,i will check the pocket,if I find some money,I will be very happy,it seems that the money is extra or not mine!So from then on, if my money is short,I will try to check my pokets,wow,sometimes I will have accidental gains!!
@cream97 (29169)
Great for you, green!
That is truly a wonderful news for you - a gift for you this christmas that you can use for something. It is exciting when something we thought cannot be used would still be used. God had worked wonderfully through the clerk and I think that there is a purpose for everything. I hope that you can use that certificate to be a blessing to others. Blessings2u
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, blessing2u. It is very exciting when we can use something that we thought was of no good use. I am happy to have had this opportunity! I was able to be a blessing to my son.. This made me very happy!
@Opal26 (17691)
Hey cream! Sometimes people are really good and will help those that really need help and this situation proves that! So they let you use your gift certificate even though it had just expired! Good for you for trying to push the issue! And I am so happy that you were able to purchase school supplies for your son which made him so happy! I know that you have been through very hard times, as have many of us, including me, but sometimes people just are good and understanding! I'm so happy that this worked out so well for you!
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, Opal26. I am happy too. I cam down from a long road, but now I have climbed right back up! This blessings assured me that God cares about my needs. He made this all happen. And I give him all the thanks for this!
@jaiho2009 (39021)
hello friend, I had same experience like this,a week ago. I started cleaning my house becoz i am expecting my sister to come this season and spend the new year with us.Then,she calls me to say that..."she's not sure if they can come due to blah blah...i hang up the phone feeling upset. So,i want to release my little anger(dismay,becoz even my kids were so excited about my sister's coming with her sons)...i dig up the stockroom and decided to clean the mess. With so much unused stuffs and wastes,i keep throwing here and there...then,i haer some coins falling from a box that i just thrown,i pick up the box again and to my surprised,it's my coin box...i use to put some change on that box,i open it and found some paper bills too...that's good enough to make me smile thu!!! thanks and have a good day always
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, jaiho2009! That was so wonderful to hear! Finding hidden money is always a great blessing to experience!
@jaiho2009 (39021)
yes dear,it's like a compensation to my chores(hehehe) not bad at all...i am planning to clean the attic...wish i could find a million... have a good day dear
@cream97 (29169)
Yes, I know what you mean by that! Finding millions is always great!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Here in California, it's not legal to expire gift certificates any more. If a person paid money for it, the store (or whatever) has to honor it. Only time you're out of luck is if the place goes out of business. Anyway, it's great that you did get to use it. Every little bit helps!
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, dawnald. I think that I may need to pay California a visit from time to time.
@madteaparty (2763)
• Japan
Hey! That's a nice story. I'm more used to the stories with a bad ending, so it's nice to hear that still good things happen to people. I hope you can use that gift certificate to buy something nice!
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, madteaparty. Yes, I have used it to buy my son erasers, pencils, pencil sharpeners, folders and a writing pad.. They have some very cute items for children in this store. And the pencils are very cheap.
@shobhan51 (376)
Yes, there are times people make us happy and yet there are times we are unhappy with people. Nice to learn that you had a good deal, cream97. Cheers.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, shobhan51. Yes, I agree, there will be times when people can be mean and hurtful but there are also great people that are very generous too.,
@moondancer (7434)
It's wonderful that you got to get some things that your son needed for school. It's just as wonderful that the company made good on the certificate even though it was expired. Not many would do that these days.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, moondancer. No they would not do that. I was so surprised when the girl told me to bring it in regardless if it was expired or not. I was happy to use it. For an entire year, I was thinking that I lost out on a great offer. But in the end, I gained it!
@kellyjeanne (1576)
You know, cream? I have to hand it to you! Not many people would do what you did. When a certificate is expired most people just accept it and go on. You, on the other hand, actually called to see if they could administer to you another one and because of that you were able to still spend the money on much needed school supplies for your son! I'm proud of you, girl! That's a lesson for all of us! Purrs, Catwoman=^..^= & Mija
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, kellyjeanne. One thing about me is that I am not afraid to follow up on things. I get better results when I do.
oh cream 97 thats just great, I know you have had a lot of obstacles in your life and I know first hand how awful being evicted can be and having to put things in storage. so I am really glad for you, its nice of that person to help you so you could use that gift certificate.one thing about having a lot of troubles in our lives it makes us so glad over even smaller things.I can imagine you and your son did have fun shopping together. I am so glad for you and your family that you are now in a good apartment. I would wish this for my son and I, not that we are not alright in our present surroundings but I never wanted to be in a retirement center nor my son never wanted to be out of work for almost a year now. but a new year is coming and I think maybe God will steer some good our way too. as I said I am really happy for you and your family. Merry Christmas to you all and a wonderful New Year too.
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, Hatley. I hope that you are able to move out of the retirement home. And I hope that your son will have a great paying job so that you can afford a better place of living. Living here must get lonesome sometimes? I hope that you will be able to have some peace and freedom by next year too. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!