35 Years in Prison for Crime he Didn't Commit

@lelin1123 (15647)
Puerto Rico
A man was released from Prison in Florida today after spending 35 years in Prison for a crime he never committed. He was nineteen years old when arrested and then convicted for kidnapping and rape of a 9 year old boy in Lake Wales, Florida. From the beginning he claimed he was innocent. Now 35 years later at the age of 54, James Bain was released after DNA testing found he could not have committed the crime. When asked if he was angry he said, " No I am not angry, I have God in my hands". There have now been 246 people exonerated in the US by DNA evidence. James Bain was the longest one ever in Prison for a crime he did not commit. In the State of Florida if you go to prison and they find that you are innocent you are awarded $50,000 dollar for every year spent in jail. He will now be receiving 1.75 million dollars. Thank God he does not have to look for a job now at his age and with the economy the way it is. Ok the question- would you "if possible" want the 35 years back or be happy with the 1.75 million dollars to live the rest of your life in peace and harmony.
I rather have the 35 years back. Time is very precious. We don't exactly have all the time in the world. They are so much someone can miss in 35 years. Its like being trapped in the future and suffering from future shock.
@lelin1123 (15647)
• Puerto Rico
Yes me too 35 years is a long time. He lost out on a relationship and having kids. Having a career. Its all shameful. I wonder how many more are in jail who didn't commit the crime. Thank you for your response.
@ANTIQUELADY (36492)
I just read that in my paper but they didn't mention the money which he well deserves. I BET THO HE'D RATHER HAD HIS TIME BEING A FREE MAN ALL THIS TIME I THINK I WOULD HAVE. tHAT IS terrible that he was convicted of something he did not do.
@lelin1123 (15647)
• Puerto Rico
I'm sure you are right. A life is so much more important then the money. Thank you for responding.
@Thoroughrob (11771)
Can you even imagine. I would not be happy with the amount, you cannot make up for ruining his life. At least he should not have to want for anything the rest of his years, but has already lost everything.
@lelin1123 (15647)
• Puerto Rico
I know not having 35 years of your life is a horrible thing. Not having your own family or kids. Thank you for your response.
I would want my 35 years back. That man missed out on so much happiness and sadness. Things that are normal for him will never be good.. He is blessed to have that money as well. because he is ruined for any real jobs. He was accused of sexing a young boy too. That can't be easy to get over. give me back my 35 years and let me go.
@lelin1123 (15647)
• Puerto Rico
Yes if only that was possible. Its horrible what he must have gone thru. Like he said though "he has God in his hands". That is what got him thru this ordeal. Thank you for responding.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I sure wouldn't want 35 years in prison again so I guess I would opt for the money. I don't love money but I like what it will do. I wonder why the police didn't believe him in the first place. What was his connection with the crime? I mean, why did they think he was guilty? I'm just glad he's not angry at least. This just goes to show you that the police do make mistakes sometimes. Kathy.
@lelin1123 (15647)
• Puerto Rico
The police make alot of mistakes for 246 people to be wrongly accused and spending time in jail for a crime they didn't commit. I just wonder how many more there are. They didn't tell how or why he was accused in the first place. Thank you so much for responding.