Garbanzo beans lower bad cholesterol levels

Chile
I have always loved garbanzos (chick peas). But now, reading about health, I found yet another reason to eat them. I want to share this with you as many of us have cholesterol problems and/or overweight. The article appeared in Real Age. If it´s half as good as what it is said here, I´m for it. How about you? "Chickpeas -- also known as garbanzo beans -- the luscious legume that's pureed to make hummus (and that tastes great whole, too). People eating roughly 25 ounces of chickpeas per week -- that's a little more than 3 ounces a day (just a hill of beans, not a mountain of them) -- saw their total cholesterol and lousy LDL levels decrease and healthy HDL levels increase compared to 4 weeks on a chickpea-free diet. That's not all: Their insulin levels also improved, and they lost a small amount of weight -- without dieting OR exercising. " Take care and let´s make a health race.
@Baluyadav (3644)
hi,friend,thank you for sharing thic valuable information,which may useful many members especially those who have cholesterol problems.Have a nice time.
The good thing about is, friend, is that garbanzos taste very good and they can be eaten even by vegans.
@catdla1 (6005)
I didn't know that about garbanzos. Hummus in this house has pretty much become the snackfood of choice. In fact when both kids are around I end up making it every day. It's nice when they snack on stuff that's good for them. Maybe I'll put some into that beef stew that I'm going to make later, using the sweet potatoes. If you start any more discussions today, can you make it dessert related? Dinner is already figured out....lol.
I´m also thinking of dessert now, catla. Today is the day my cousin comes for dinner and I can´t make the pineappe dessert again. But you might. I changed a bit your recipe and it was gorgeous and easier on calories. I filled the pineapple´s hole with pure fiber cereal with some melted butter and a bit of brown sugar. The pineapple did the rest. As you are having a diner with carbohidrates (humus and sweet potatoes) why dont you make a fruit compote? I also like plain diced raw fruits with orange or lemon juice added so they don´t turn brown. Tell me what you finally made!
@catdla1 (6005)
I made the stew and it came out great. Took the easy way out for dessert though. I didn't make any. Aren't I mean? LOL I'll be baking cookies all weekend, getting ready for Christmas, the family can have plenty then. I like how you did your pineapple. Going to have to try that, except I'd skip the butter. I never use any, don't even keep it in the house. Can't wait to try it!
@catdla1 (6005)
Isn't it nice when something that is so good to eat is actually GOOD for you? We go through so much hummus in our house, especially with my two children, that I keep expecting to read health warnings about it.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
I have eaten garbanzo beans but not very much. I have never tates humus & i see many people talking about it & have seen recipes for it. Thanks for the info.
Hi jo, I hated garbanzos when I was little but at that time the garbanzos were eaten with their tough peels. Anyway, I must say I was a pest as eating goes when I was a kid. I started liking food at about 12. Humus is wonderful and it does not have a strong flavour so i´m sure you might like it. I make my garbanzos now with pork.It´s a main dish, sort of a casserole, that is wonderful to eat in Winter. I put in the pressure cooker a pork´s thigh (is that how it´s said?) and then when it´s almost done I cook the garbanzos there. As with almost anything I make, I fry some diced onions and put some garlic and spices.Sometimes I also throw in some leftover cooked or fried rice.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
I'm sure they are good. They are just something we never had growing up. I'm sure what u cook is good. I'm going to pm u the sweet potato recipe in awhile. Happy sat. to u.
yes, i think that these types of foods are ok, especially if you love them.if you love them then it will make you whole. i guess. huh. that is what i think. do you eat them all the time? do you like their fiber. because if you like their fiber then it will go well for you. but really, i desire more treats than anything. because changing to fast to a good diet really is not in law with the network of changes that is in. ok? so if you are to change then do it slow, but fast enough you do your work.