Which is your favourite supermarket and why?

Here in England the biggest supermarkets are Tesco, Sainsbury and ASDA. I always go to Tesco because it is only 5 minutes from home on the way back from work. But my in-laws refuse to buy anything at Tesco's becaus they feel they are an arrogant store. That made me wonder what other peoples favourite supermarkets in different countries are and why!
@Wizzywig (7860)
We have a local Somerfield/Co-op but they never seem to fill the shelves and dont have anything "interesting". We always have to check the receipt because they overcharge so often. On my way home from work, I go past either Morrisons or Asda depending on the route I take. I tend to prefer Asda overall because it seems to carry a wider range of products and the staff are usually more friendly and helpful. Sainsbury's is just a few minutes off my route so I call there occasionally. Its been a while since I went to Tesco because the nearest one is in the opposite direction to my work.
That's terrible for a supermarket to overcharge. You should complain officially about it. Many people wouldn't check. It's great that you have so many supermarkets to choose from. For everything apart from Tescos I'd need to drive at least 15 minutes out of my way.
@Wizzywig (7860)
its usually only a few pence but I always go to the customer service desk and ask for a refund on principle.
@gemini_rose (16194)
I do my main shop online, and I love tesco, mainly because of the clubcard points as they go towards days out for me and my family. Asda though have some amazing offers on things and I love that place too, unfortunately their home delivery service leaves a lot to be desired and every week I had to phone them asking where my delivery was. Tesco might be a little more expensive on some things but they are always on time with delivery and always really friendly!
Yes, I like clubcard points, too. I never tried the online delivery because of their charge though.
@onida143 (118)
hello dude are u from england nice to hear and comming to the point basically i am from india even i like realiance market as they genuine people with the fresh stock but i really love wallmart and i really feel i need to visit that market once in my life time
I am surprised you like Walmart so much when you've never been to one. Is it what you've been told about it?
@clocks123 (1229)
Here in the US my favorite supermarket is walmart. it has the best prices and everything i need is in one place. i am speaking about the walmart supercenter with the grocery section included.
Walmart is a big name. I think the ASDA in the UK belongs to Walmart, too. I think Walmart is as discussed in the US as Tesco is here in the UK.
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
I live in Spain, but we return to England at least twice a year to vsit friends and family. My favourite supermarket in both countries is LIDL. I can get virtually everything I want from there, and the quality is excellent. LIDL in Spain is much cheaper on most things - for instance, their in house vodka is 4 euros here, and £7 in England - but the spooky thing is, the store is laid out exactly the same in both countries. My back up store is Morrisons in England and Eroski in Spain. Both stores have some really good offers on branded products, and their own brands are really good quality.
I actually like Lidl. They have good pries, but I haven't been for years. I spent some time in Spain at university and often went there for the exact same reason - you knew what was where because it was the same as home.
@codris (783)
I live in italy here there are a lot of supermarket, a big chain is Iperal, there are a lot of peral's supermarket in Valtellina and in the north of italy, here we can find everything we need there is everything. And price are lower than other shops in the same area. Iperal can offer a great quality products, also beacause they produce things like bread and cakes in the same supermarket, so they're fresh.
Fresh food is always good. And when the price is right - perfect!
@katsalot1 (1619)
I'm in England too, and use Morrisons, which is the nearest supermarket to me. We do have a Tescos, but I only go there if I am really stuck because they are an arrogant store. When they applied for planning permission in the town for a petrol station to be added to their existing supermarket plans, it was unanimously turned down - no-one wanted it, and it wasn't needed. Also it was in the middle of a residential area. They managed to get it built anyway because the local council couldn't cover the legal fees that would have been needed to fight them. That really put me off them. I like Morrisons particularly because their vegetables are fresh, and it is a very friendly store.
That doesn't make Tesco sound very good. I thought the towns could turn down planning permissions without legal issues. I guess they are quite powerful as a business.
@Baluyadav (3644)
hi,i hails from India,and here i rgularly go to Relience fresh super market,where i can find resh,quality stocks are available.rice wise also some what reasonable when compared to other super markets.Have a nice time.
That's good if it is really fresh food without an expensive price tag.
@maximax8 (27049)
I live in the South west. Recently a new Waitrose has been opened in my home town that I live on the edge of it. It is my favorite supermarket but it is rather expensive. Luckily it has Asda next door to it. Therefore I can get some cheaper things there after getting some wonderful things from lovely Waitrose. The supermarket that is walking distance from my home is Sainsbury and I do go shopping there. I sometimes go to Morrisons. I like to go to the Co-op in a town one hour away. I don't go shopping at Tesco. I would never go shopping there even though there is one in the center of my home town. Waitrose sell good quality food and fancy things no other supermarkets sell like healthy bars and the most delicious fruit juice.
My mother always shops around and buys different things in different shops. I always feel that I don't have enough time to do this. It takes long enough to get everything in 1 shop and I am not prepared to pay for online shopping.