What happens if I pick best response from a person who's no longer on myLot?

Ok, I'm going to finally start picking best responses from my discussions - it's about time. But I do know there are a couple discussions that I would award to a myLot friend of mine, but he vanished from myLot just a couple weeks ago (either his account got deleted or he deleted himself). Now, his response would truly be the best response, but would it make any sense to give it to him though I know he'll never know about it? Should I choose a second best response instead?
@victorywp (3526)
actually, the point is that we should be giving the best response to a response & not to a respondent. that means if the response is great, we should not care whether the respondent is our enemy, has deleted his/her account, had passed away, etc. what we supposed to appreciate, is that particular great response left in our discussion.
That is true, but I just feel bad that this "respondent" won't ever know that I gave them best response for my discussion. Perhaps I should have done so a long time ago, but I've only thought to award best response recently. Oh well, I'll give it to the most deserving response . . . like you said, the response that is the greatest regardless of who they are.
@victorywp (3526)
don't worry, maybe he/she has created a new account in mylot? or maybe he/she might come accross that particular topic again in the future (under certain circumstances)? who knows right? even if he/she doesn't know it, at least if any respondents/visitors who come accross your discussion & check on which response has been selected by you as the best response, they might also agree with you.
victorywp - I don't think this person created a new account . . . or at least I would have thought they would add me if they did create a new account. They wouldn't get a notice of best response if that were the case . . so I don't know if they'll ever know unless they do a big search on my profile. Oh well. Do people actually look at other people's profiles to see what best responses were given to them? In any case, I still need to award these best responses!
@tonyllenium (6267)
probably when you choose a best response you must judge only the answer in itself and so not the account or user in general...
Yes, that is true. It's about the best answer, not who answered. But I guess it's the fact that if I had chosen someone whom I knew for a fact did not exist on myLot anymore, it's just sad that person will never know they were chosen, if I chose that person. But you're right - it needs to be based on the response.
Well, in my honest opinion, I think that I would give the response to the response that I truly thought was the best response of all. When I am giving my best responses, I pay no attention at all whatsoever as to whether or not the person that I chose to give the best response to is active or even exists any more on mylot. I think that the best response should be given to the one that truly is the best whether or not they are here anymore.
Best response means "best" response . . . so I think you're right. Regardless who wrote it, the best written comment should be awarded exactly that. It just so happens that in some of the discussions I had started, this person did indeed have the best responses (always wrote honest answers, like you) . . . so I wanted make sure this person knew it . . . but perhaps it's too little, too late. Well, I'll start with this myLot project soon!
@Hazelrose (2186)
Hi much2say,Well,it's up to you to pick the one that you think it's satisfies you with his/her response.Follow your mind and heart in choosing the BR.Thanks,Good Luck!
It's hard to follow my mind and heart when they are confused - hee hee. It's just sad that if I do pick that particularly ex myLotter, they're not ever going to know they got a best response even when they were long gone. Well, we'll see what I end up doing - thanks!
hi much2say why on earth did you wait so long as p eople here seem to come and go in weeks and months at times. well you will still gvet paid for typing anyway.but it would have been easier had you just waited a week.March 28 hatley here ]hugs[/em]
Hi Hatley! Geez, I started this discussion "years" ago now - and by now I've waited even longer . . . you're right I've waited tooooooooo long - ha ha!! But I didn't intentionally "wait" - I just didn't do pick any best responses - so lazy of me, I know. Hee hee - at least I am responding to you here in the same year !!!!