Protect Me From Those Who Stink

@erikmama (12929)
Since I depend on the city bus to get around, I find it truly irritating when a person gets on and stinks,and I am forced to have to sit or stand near them. Sometimes it is BO,sometimes homeless people get on covered in urine and feces. This is nasty. There are rules prohibiting cussing on the bus and a whole list of other rules,but nothing pertaining to the customers right to a ride free of these disguiting smells. I dont think a person who smells this bad should be allowed to get on the bus and torture the other riders. I am talking about true funk here,not a little sweat. What do you think? Should I be forced to share a seat or sit in an enclosed area with this?
@natnickeep (2340)
Well to be honest I am a little against you on this one. Buses are one of the only transportation for some homeless people and some homeless people have no access to washing. It would be like making someone sit in the back of the bus because of their race. I think it would be wrong. Somethings people just can't help. If you want to ride you gotta deal with the smell I guess, Hehe. Maybe they could make it a rule to put air freshener sprayer things on buses, for the passengers comfort. Or you could pay more and take a cab. I guess we get what we pay for huh. On a real note, a tip for ya, bring some gum and chew it if someone ripe gets on. The minty smell will help with the funk.
@erikmama (12929)
I'm sorry,but the way these people smell is ridcilous.If the smell is one that gags you, that is not something healthy to be breathing. No matter if you are homeless or not, you can get some water somewhere and wash your butt.even if it is just water it would helo the smell a little. I know we cant kick them off the bius, i just think as with as workplace there are ways you cant come in, stinking is one of them,Why?Itd bother customers.I paid for a ride,yes,its my only transportation,but cmon!!
Lol I understand. Some people just don't care if they smell either. Like I said bring some minty gum and try to deal I guess. But it feels a little better to vent about it right.
@erikmama (12929)
I am refering to specific situations with people who were obvious homeless were on here. Not all shelters here require a bath.I am talking about people who obviuosly werent in any shelter they were on the streets. They smelled of urine, feces, and had not bathes in weeks. I am not judging someone because they are homeless as I have been there myself.I am speaing of a situation.
@lindiebiz (1013)
It is unfortunate that such people cannot be prohibited fron entering public transportation because it is public. I will advice you to be more selective of the people you stand or sit close to. There is nothing wrong in movint to a new chair is you are not comfortable where you are.
@erikmama (12929)
I understand it is public transportation. Sometimes the buses are so crowded you are standing and there are no other seats and these people will sit beside ypou.YThe smell is so bad moving is not going to help very much.,if its summer everyone on the bus will open the windows and face it.It is disguisting,and not fair we have to smell them.
To a certain extent I agree with you on this one and to another extent I have to say that I am against you on this one. I feel that all people should be welcome to use public transportation as long as they are able to pay for their seat on the bus or on the subway. However, I also think that people, homeless or not, should have the common sense to be at least remotely clean. By this I mean they should not smell like urine or feces on a regular basis.
@erikmama (12929)
Everyone has a right to ride the bus subway train or whatever.But I also have a right not to be gagged to deathduring a hour long bus ride, the right to not see urine and feces on the back of someone who is forced to stand in front of me and my child,the right not to see someone use the bathroom on thier self. I am talking about the really bad cases,not just a little BO oior stinch. If they think it is ok to smell like this they are dangerous and dont need to be out by themselves like this. I know there is no solution. But I think if a perso gets on in this condition they should be asked to get off the bus. It's not fair because a person chooses to be nasty I should get sicktrying to get where im going.
this is sooo funny, i also hate foul smell especially with that of body odor.lol i get dizzy with their smell.. what i would do if I'm on that situation, I would bring out my perfume or cologne and spray a lil in between my nose and mouth so it can help me breathe easily.LOL
@erikmama (12929)
people do bring put the perfumes but they dont really help. the drivers also keep a can of air freshner for their use and once a person gets off will spray the bus down. The smell is so bad it is gross.
@cutepenguin (6457)
I don't like this either. it's only happened to me once. The person who has the bad odor is probably not even aware of it. I also don't like it when people are heavy smokers. They smell of smoke all of the time.
@erikmama (12929)
You are your own worst critic.If other people can smell you like this,I can only imagine how they smell to themselves.But then after a while you become accustomed to the smell,and it doesnt bother them anymore.But how could you not know you smell when you havent bathed or changed clothes,used the bathroom on yourself,etc. I am a smoker, so I guess non smokers fel the same way I do about these people. But the smell has got to me much worse to smell these people. Youve got some good points there.
@olisaur (1932)
I have an idea for a solution for this problem. w
@erikmama (12929)
Im willing to try anything that night work!!! Yea, thats what we do open the windows and hold our faces towards the window.
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
I know what you are talking about. When I lived in New York this would happen from time to time. I would jump up and walk away from them. This would happen either on a bus or a train. It is totally disgusting and they really shouldn't be allowed to get on a bus or train if they are homeless and acting crazy and they stink. We pay money for this transportation and we shouln't be subjected to such disgust.
@erikmama (12929)
Its not a pretty thing.It doesnt happen all the time but enough.I feel the same way I paid money to get there. If I cant eat or drink cause ill mess up the bus why can these nasty people urinate onit?
Whenever i encounter similar cases as you do. I never throw a insulting look or cover my mouth as I understand the plight of the homeless. As putting yourself in their own shoes it is difficult to maintain a good hygiene when you are out of the street and homeless. They have difficulty in food or been hunger which are the foremost priority than hygiene i suppose to. Then, knowing you could not help them it is only right for them to have place in the public transportation and if you could not tolerate it. I must say then you should find another seat if you could not afford to control them. Then, if you do not like to be disturb by their own smell and you could afford to take a bus. Then, go on as comfort have its own prices..
@erikmama (12929)
Ive been there,,ive been in there shoes.Water is free,available anywhere.No reason to smel like this.A person should have a public hygenie policy.Theres an ovious issue with a person who would allow them selves to smell this bad. I am talking about horrible smells, not just a little BO. Icant help cover my mouth, its gros..
@mzz663 (2775)
If they would come up with a way to figure out who does and doesn't stink, who knows what kind of rules there are to ride public transportation. Perfumes might be offensive, just as much as bad body odors. Smelling like grease from ones job/work might be offensive. I think really, there is no way to get people to be categorized. Maybe a solution would be to move to another area? Public does mean, everyone.....doesn't it?
@erikmama (12929)
I am speaking of specific situations I have been in with homeless peole,and I am not talking about BO,im not talking abut grease or food. I am talking about gag you urine and feces smell, combined with urine stained clothes and people who havent bathes in weeks.I know there is nothing that can be done, but it is unfair to have to smell this.
erikmama did you know that not all homeless people stink of urine a nd feces, I was homeless for a week and I sure did not stink of anything except soap from bathing. this mind set just freaks me out. this bad economy with bosses letting p eople go has led to a lot of middleclass people suddenely becoming homeless through no fault of their own. I rode on the bus so as to be awy from the salvation army hostel during the day.let me tell you you do not stay in most homeless havens unless you shower every day so no not all people who stink on a b us are homeless. a lot of middleclass people do not bathe as often as they should. On a public bus you have to take what you get, because its open to the public, the drivers will not let a drunk ride, but other than that they do not stop to sniff each person f or body odor.If you do not like mixing with the hoi paloi drive your car. bus drivers do not have time to be really nasty nice with each passenger. welcome to the real world were not all people are saints. No I dont like to sit next to someone who stinks but have done this in church even so wheres your homeless theory now?. You can find p eople who stink in any public place. just move away from them to a different seat.
@erikmama (12929)
Yes,I know that all homeless people dont stink.I too happen to have been homeless and did not stink either.I was simply explaining the situation with some homeless people here in this area.I do not mean people with a little BO. I am talking about people who are obviousaly homeless,who have not seen water in weeks, who have urinated on theirselves, etc.I know its one of the bad things of being on a bus.But I dont think it is fair to make everyone on the bus suffer.It is the nastiest smells ever,and it is not fair.Sometimes the buses are crowded and you cant move.Sometimes the smell is to bad it fills the whole bus.
@bounce58 (17524)
Hi erikmama. A long time ago, when we just got here in the northwest, I didn't have a car and had to depend on public transport to get to wherever I was going. When it was raining out, I hated getting on the bus. When one of these stinkers(real funk, not sweat), got on, and the windows are all closed because of the rain... ugh! You can't breath almost! Now, that I have a car, the only stink I smell is my own.
@erikmama (12929)
I know how you feel.It is terrible.,MAybe one day I will have a car and wont have to deal withit.
What to do erikmama, that is the problem when you travel in a public buses. You would have not even imagined some of the smells, which I had to undergo while travelling in a bus, particularly in a rural area. In rural areas, people buy all sorts of groceries, as well as dried fish, and bring it in the bus. Just imagine my plight, to travel with the stink of dried fish. Also thing of some people farting in a crowded bus, you just cannot tolerate that.
@erikmama (12929)
Imagine the smell of rotten fish. The smell of someone wh o has urinated and had days of fecal matter on them.Someone who has not taken a bath in weeks.It is not pleasant at all for anyone on the bus.Sometimes the smell is so bad you want to gag or throw up. Ive seen men literally use the bathroom on theirselves on the bus.Its nasty and noone should have to ride under these circumstances,even if it public transportation.
I do think the bus driver should be allowed the descretion to determine weather or not a person should be allowed on the bus under these circumstances, but I do feel the homeless really don't have a choice of what they smell like. After all, they don't have the luxeries of taking a shower or being able to use running watter everyday. As far as the others, yes, I believe if you have use of a shower, then by all meens, you don't have any right to get on a bus, with a bunch of people you don't know, smelling like BO or anything else that would be offensive.
@erikmama (12929)
You can always find water to wash yourself.I dont thnk there is any excuse to smell like this.ive been there and never allowed myself to smell.I think allowing the bus driver the descretion is a great idea, as long as the passengers advice is considered too.Of course this would be discrimination.So probably nothing I can do but complain here on mylot.The smell is atroucous to say the least.
@arym72 (49)
Oh i share the same sentiments as you do.I rather see the dirt or filth whatever rather than smell it,makes me want to vomit...I cannot stand that..I will make the bus stop and ride the next one.