New Year's Tradition and Superstitions??????

On New Year's Day our family has, for as long as I can remember, eaten black eyed peas. That is supposed to bring good luck and prosperity for the coming year. I have no idea how this superstition came into being in the South, but it is a long standing one. Any ideas on its origin? Do you have any New Years traditions/superstitions?
We have New Year’s tradition but it came from Chinese tradition. Like you have to wear red and dress with polka dots for money to come into your life easily. There is also a tradition to spread the coin into every part of the house especially on doors to make the money easily at your hand. On the table before New Year, you have to have round fruits for money again. My mother prepare rice, raw rice and money on the table. I also jump during New Year hoping that I still have chances of getting taller. I also scramble coins and my wallet and piggy coin can so that more money I will receive this year. But these are just tradition. There is nothing that can make us rich but our talent and hardwork.
Thanks for sharing those traditions, I had never heard any of those before!
@yogeshdhusa (2237)
Hi ! ErrollLeVant The eclipse in the bigining of the year or any time is not supposed to brind good luck, according to tradition. but i belive it is only earth casting its shadow on moon how could it affect our existence. I belive whatever happens happens for good
I am with you on that, all the things in the sky are under the control of God, and are not determinate of what happens in our lives!