"...standard practice not to pay for things..."

@anniepa (26619)
What do you think of when you see that quote? Who do you think said it? Any guesses... Here's a hint - this recent comment was in referrence to SIX YEARS AGO when the Republican controlled Congress passed the trillion dollar Medicare prescription drug plan. Six years ago, "it was standard practice not to pay for things," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. "We were concerned about it, because it certainly added to the deficit, no question." His 2003 vote has been vindicated, Hatch said, because the prescription drug benefit "has done a lot of good." : http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_12/021647.php Do you think Senator Hatch would like to take those words - the TRUTH for once - back??? He wasn't the only one to weigh in on this issue. Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, said those who see hypocrisy "can legitimately raise that issue." But he defended his positions in 2003 and now, saying the economy is in worse shape and Americans are more anxious. Sen. Olympia Snowe, R-Maine, said simply: "Dredging up history is not the way to move forward." 24 of the current Senate Republicans, all of whom voted against the current health care reform bill, voted FOR Medicare Part D. Karl Rove saw it as a way to a "permanent majority" for the GOP. I guess that trumps worrying about the deficit and the debt, right? Hat's comment is especially interesting since he thinks he's been vindicated because Medicare Part D has "done a lot of good". IF the health care bill in some form gets passed and IF it does some good - as in maybe saving some of the 45,000 lives lost each year due to lack of health insurance - I wonder if he or any of his GOP Senate colleagues will admit six years from now that their votes were wrong? Hmmm... What say you? Annie
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Not too suprised are you? They will do what ever is politicly expedient for them. I can probably count on one hand, the number of genuinely honest public servants left in congress. But no one should be at all suprised by this, it isn't nes and they certainly aren't making any efforts to hide this sort of behavior any more. I guess it is small consolation they are now operating out in the open toguh. At least now the majority of criticaly thinking folks can see it with their own eyes for what it is. Stop sending commercial establishment party candidates to DC!
@anniepa (26619)
X, it really doesn't seem to matter that people can see it with their own eyes, those that are aligned with one side or the other are so programmed and brainwashed they've got their talking points ready for the spin no matter what! I really understand where you're coming from with your determination to "banish" the two major parties from DC but that's not going to happen unless there is some major campaign finance reform. Even then, I'm not so sure since we now have this "tea party" movement which I guess has split into at least three groups, which some people think is an "independent" group even though most have no idea who's funding it. What I would truly LOVE to see are viable candidates for every office from local to state to federal who aren't from wealthy families, aren't high priced attorneys are CEOs of major corporations and aren't "owned" by anyone. It doesn't really matter to me whether they identify themselves with a major party or not, as long as they're independent thinkers who aren't willing to sell out to the highest bidder for campaign donations. In other words, people like you and me who would stand before a crowd of would-be supporters and actually admit they're not perfect, they've made mistakes, gone through struggles in their lives but they can identify with the average American. I don't expect that to happen in my lifetime since I know, at least speaking for "people like me" that we don't have the money or the name recognition to even get out of the gate. Annie
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
there was a faction of the tea party movement that developed and managed to hijack things and not only use it for political promotion of republicans, but actually profited from it. Needless to say I was furious after hearing about this, so were a few million other genuine grass roots tea party group members apparently. And many others in the movement don't even seem to realize they have been hijacked. Do you understand the concept of "controlled oposition" and how that works? It can also be utilized in either a mono-functional fashion or can be applied in multiple facets, each facet seemingly unconnected to each other, yet still very much part of the same fully intentional plan
@anniepa (26619)
I'm not sure what you're getting at, X. When you say "controlled opposition" are you referring to the organizations such as "FreedomWorks" that, no matter how it happened, have gotten involved in the tea party movement? Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding you but I DO know I would never want to be party of any plan that involved the likes of D1ck Armey, Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann or some of those fruitcakes that have been shown on TV during the protests - you know the ones, the ones with the offensive signs and pictures! Annie
@jerzgirl (7805)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
I was shocked when I read that Hatch, the Mormon in good standing who only does right, would say such a thing. But, it's also very telling of a political perspective who finds no fault in their own actions unless their opponents are doing the same things - and then it's the opponents who are the evil doers and not good form to remind them of their own actions. (I said the other day "Do as I say, not as I do" - was I or was I not right?) Their arrogance has no limits - that they are free to put us into debt because it will do "a lot of good"; but when their opponents attempt to do "a lot of good" that will also cause some debt, but (God forbid) also raise taxes to alleviate some of the debt caused, then the motive is pure evil. The GOP really does think it deserves something for nothing, doesn't it? And, I doubt they will admit they were wrong - they will NEVER admit they were wrong. Not if their lives depended on it. They are too full of their own glory and self-importance, second only to God Himself (or so they'd like to believe).
@anniepa (26619)
I agree with every word you've written. I've always called what they say "spin" but I've been wondering, is it still spin when one really believes the sh1t they're saying? I truly believe they think what they do is SSOOOO "right" anything is justified. Annie