What Recent Invention Is Your Favorite?

@Maggiepie (7821)
By recent, I mean this century & the last. I know, we all love fire, the wheel, & shoes, but let's stick to those created in our lifetimes, or at least our parents'. There are plenty of choices, but you only get to pick one. And since I believe toilet paper was invented in the 19th Century--so I can't choose that--I'm picking air conditioning!!! I have no idea how people survived in Texas before the AC was created! Without it, I'm a flattened, soggy rug every Summer! (Whew!) You might like to consider the invention you choose this way: If you were thrown back in time, & could only take one with you (& batteries enough, if your thingy needs them), what would you pick? Obviously, I can't take mine back too far in time, but I still say that's it for me! Welll, if I were tossed into a pre-electric world, it'd be a CD player & all my CDs, though. I'm just sayin... Maggiepie MERRY CHRISTMAS, & HAPPY 2010!!!
@ElicBxn (60184)
I'd take massive stores of antibiotics! or antihistamines or I think antibiotics is the greatest invention of the 20th century and probably for years before that! I'm sure you've heard that I think modern medicine is the only reason I'm still alive and my survival chances in the past are very limited because of my allergies...
@Maggiepie (7821)
Well, you will just be allergic to the whole freakin' planet, gal! Seriously, though, I'd probably be staring at daisy roots myself without them! So that is an excellent reason to pick those--especially in your case! Maggiepie MERRY CHRISTMAS, & HAPPY 2010!!!
@writersedge (22579)
Prior to the computer, my radio. I loved my radio. Used to fall asleep and get up to great sounds plus hear them on the school bus. Also loved my 2 station tv. That's all we had up here when I was a kid were two tv stations. Then we had 5. Two were Canadian and one was in French and one from Poland Spring, Maine. Don't ask me how we got Maine in NY State. Since the computer age, love my computer. Pre-electric world, then how are you playing those CDs? Did you mean pre-computer world? Pre-electric, the hand water pump or the Amish windmill water pumps.
@Maggiepie (7821)
I always loved radios, too. When I was a kid, my favorite spot to roost was on the floor in front of my maternal G-parents' humongous old Philco set. If you've never seen one, they're almost as big as juke boxes, & have a sound that rivals a Bose! I was in northwestern Louisiana at that time, so although the set had a complete dial, & on certain nights, it could pick up Chicago, most of the time all I could hear was Shreveport's MOR music station. Still, I listened! As a teen, they invented transistors, & one grew out of my ear. Still music, but about 16, I discovered talk radio, & it was a match made in Heaven. I went on to work in talk radio. Now I have a Bose (that's what I spent my income tax refund on almost 2 decades ago...), & I couldn't be happier with it! Um...did you miss being able to take batteries if you went to pre-electric days? Oy! It's my fantasy, so I get to have it any way I want it! Why Amish wind mill pumps? How different are those from the classic, picturesque old Dutch ones? Thanks for the fun post! ^5! Maggiepie MERRY CHRISTMAS, & HAPPY 2010!!!
I would say mine have to be internet or iPods. One of those two. I was originally going to say electricity, as I love my electricity..But I decided that's probably not an invention of my lifetime (as I am not that old obviously lol).
@Maggiepie (7821)
Well, if that's your picture over there, you're definitely too young! One of our Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin, a genius at many things, made the literal connection between lightening & electricity. I've always found it an amusing picture, this funny little man, flying a kite with a key tied to the string, during an electrical storm... It's a good thing he dropped the string when he got zapped, or we'd have lost a superb statesman...one with a wonderful sense of humor, & very deep wisdom! Maggiepie MERRY CHRISTMAS, & HAPPY 2010!!!
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
Air conditioning is a good choice, but how about freezers. Where would we be without ice cream? (yum)
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
Hm I guess technically it's all refrigeration...