You wake up to find a million bucks in your bank account..

We all know it is not yours. Would you risk jail time to keep some/all of the money. I asked my mother and she made me laugh with her response. so I thought to ask you guys. I know stealing is a sin and it's wrong. I also know there are people who are starving in the USA and could use that money. LOL I feel like I may be in trouble here. Thanks all of you.
I wouldn't touch it. I wouldn't touch a dime of it. I know that the money is not rightfully mine so I would call the bank and let them know that there had been a mistake in my account. That way they would be able to deal with it immediately instead of it sitting there as a temptation for who knows how long. A bank is able to correct their mistake at any time in the future whereas if the bank makes a mistake that hurts us they are only allowed to correct it for a 90 day period of time. In reporting the error, not only are you making sure that you are not getting in trouble, you are also helping out the person to whom the money rightfully belongs as well.
@drakesuyat (1064)
well of course i'll verify it first if someone really deposited that amount to my account. if it its confirmed not mine, i'll have everything return. i just cant use that money coz i always believe on karma. and its just the good thing
@xe20mx (94)
LoL
Wellllll, being out of work right now sure makes it tempting, haha, but no, I couldn't keep it at all. But it sure would be nice to receive a $50,000.00 reward for being so honest,...yeh sure, but I can wish can't I? I'd let the bank know immediately because as much as it would be a shock to me with what I have in the bank right now, it would be a shock to the bank too seeing me with that much money, lol! I don't think anyone asked you..what did your mother say that made you laugh?
@bricked (151)
I would not use or touch it as it isn't yours.It would be stealing when you use it. people would say you could use the money to help other and help yourself.I think it it not worth the hassle when you get caught
@mzz663 (2776)
I would try to find out who deposited it first and if I couldn't I would take it out and put it somewhere else where it would gain interest. That way I could still keep the money and have it if I had to give it back but have the interest to get me started in another account. Maybe a money market or cd....anywhere but the account that I got it from.
@sender621 (14971)
I wou;d be ecstatic to find a million dollars in my bank sccount. Then i would have to wake up from the dream i was having.
@nautilus33 (1810)
Well, if I find a million bucks in my bank account I think I will not touch it, but I will also not say anything to the bank. I mean if there are a million bucks, I think they are not from the poor people, but from some one rich, and that's why I will not take any action. I will just wait for a year or two and then will take the decision
Hmm.... I think I would be shocked firstly! Then I would have to be honest about it and let the bank know there was an error in my account. I could certainly put that money to good use however, you are right it's not going to jail over no matter how much you could use it. And TY for pointing out that w/ this recession there are people going hungry in the USA & more than people are willing to admit it during these harsh economic times. Like anything costs are going up while people are still loosing their jobs, their homes, their everything I only work in a retail store and I hear several times a day their spouse is laid off..... someone's job cut 300 jobs are they next? Lots of worried & no long term solutions
I'd never keep it, not any of it. lol I'd never get away with it nor would I want to. And I'm not starving, people may answer the question differently in different situations.
@saphrina (31744)
• South Africa
Normally the bank retrieve a wrong deposit or transaction a day after the mistake were made. I will not touch a cent of it, if the mistake isn't fixed soon, just go ask the bank if they like you so much as to pay you to use their services. It would be nice to have such a sum but that is life, we never really get what we want. I know you are a honest person. Just give it back.
@stormygrl (763)
Being honest I.m not really sure, leave it sit awhile and see but I sure wouldn't want to go to jail for it. By the way what did your mother say ?
@lilybug (21184)
No matter what amount of money it is $10 or a million, your bank will figure it out and when they do you are responsible for getting the money back to them. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
@bounce58 (17552)
Nope, I wouldn't touch it either. Money that size is bound to be missed, and people are going to look for it. If they find it in your account, and determine that you did not report it, then there would be jail time involved. Now, if it were small amounts, like $300-$500, and it gets into your bank account... well, I might just be tempted to keep it.
@jewels49 (1784)
Nope, I wouldn't touch it. I would call the bank immediately and make sure they got the mistake corrected. I'm not saying I wouldn't spend 5 minutes thinking about how cool it would be if the money were mine, but knowing it wasn't would take all the fun out of spending any of it.