Guilty Untill Proven Innocent

@erikmama (12931)
I think this is much more fitting than innocent untill proven guilty. How is a person innocent of a crime untill they are convited if you have to go to jail and post a bond, if you have to loose something untill you prove yourself, etc. To me this is not innocent, it is guilty until yu go to court and a judge says you are innocent.
Looks like you could be right about this. I know many who are in this situation today.
@erikmama (12931)
Yea, I hear stories all of the time. Am an spent 20 years of his life in prision for a crime he didnt commit, evenafter DNA proved his innocencnce. I know a bit off subject, but the same point.
Crazy how the laws work. People who have the money to post bond usually have great lawyers too. The ones who suffer are those that are not able to afford a good lawyer.
@erikmama (12931)
Crazy how money can do so much. You done something so bad you have to go to jail.BUT if you have $1000 what you did suddenly becomes less severe. Crazy.
hi erikmama well it looks awful to us looking at it but actually I was thinking that we most of us do not trust strangers easily as we do not know them and if they are good or bad folks. so the people in law are just doing what we all do, or most of us,not trust someone we do not know until they are proved trustworthy. I know it seems wrong but something has to be done, and they just do not take any chances. the bond does help them to feel they can trust you a bit. You are still innocent in the eyes of the law until proved otherwise, but they just do not take chances., most people do not take chances with strangers either.
for one thing here in the US we are told to learn our rights and to get a lawyer if needed to wo rk on our side. I see you are also here in the US.
@erikmama (12931)
Yes,but suppose someone has lied and said you did somethig, took out a warrant, and the police came and arrested you.Believe me, its not that hard to do. Even though you did nothing wrong you will pay a price. Noone can see if you are good or bad like this. Why cant we see a judge BEFORE we goto jail,then if the judge says ok,you did it, send us to jail? MONEY for one.
I tend to agree with you. If a person is innocent until they are able to have a jury trial, then why do they have to spend the time coming toward that jury trial either in a jail or out of jail on bond. The really sad thing about this is that there are lots of people that are innocent that end up having to spend time in jail because they are awaiting their trials. What does the system do to return this time to the person? Nothing, so I think that the maxim should be changed to state that a person is seen as guilty until a jury says that they are innocent.
@spalladino (17925)
I see your point but there's also the part where there is sufficient evidence of your guilt for you to be charged with a crime...except maybe in cases of ticked off girlfriends making false accusations. Since you have been charged with a crime though you have to have your day in court but what to do with the in between time? Some folks are released on personal recognizance if the charge is a minor one or the court feels confident that that person will show up for trial but what about those the court is concerned about taking off? Posting bond is insurance that you will appear in court.