Should kids be put on a diet?

I see a few over weight kids in my building. One of them being my daughter's good friend. I was thinking of how hard it is to lose weight. Should kids be put on diets? Don't you think it will be harder for them as they are kids? Should parents be the blame for the kids being over weight?
Its sad to say, but yes, in alot of cases parents should be held accountable for their kids being overweight. Too many parents do not take the neccessary responsibility to monitor what their children are putting in their bodies, and how much of it their putting in their bodies. They let their kids eat whatever they want, whenever they want, and everythings fine because little johnny is a growing boy, and he will lose the weight as he gets older. Except when that doesn't happen suddenly there's a problem. We all like fat, because fat tastes good, but it really is up to parents to teach their kids proper nutrition guidelines and provide healthy foods for them to eat. There is nothing wrong with junk food once in awhile, but there needs to be a limit, and parents are the ones that need to enforce that limit.
Nice to see you again. I just let your post a second ago. I feel your right about some parents. I know of plenty who could care less what the kids eat. As long as they are quiet. Thanks
@cher913 (25895)
certainly some should be but it is just the lifestyle we lead these days. think back in history say 50 years, there was much more physical activity done by everyone. dad worked, mom worked at home and kids played outside more than they do now. we are much more sedintary than we were then.
I think that children should not knowlagably be put on diets. Instead, if the parent know that their child is struggling with their weight, then the parents should take the time to plan healthier meals for the entire family, and then limit how much the child can have. Even if the mom has larger portions, then the child wont feel like their on a diet. They may not like the lifestyle change, but they wont know.
@olisaur (1932)
I certainly don't think kids should be put on a "diet"- they'll eventually have to come off it and just go back to their old eating habits. I think it's important for the parents to change their eating habits altogether; like replacing chips and cookies with healthier snacks (e.g. trail mix and fruit), not allowing them to eat so much junk food and using portion control.
@nautilus33 (1832)
Well, if the kids are really over weight I think we should put them on a diet, but not so strongly diet as for adults. They will need a diet, but a diet for kids!
I don't think kids necessarily have to go on diets (no calorie counting for them)...but I do think that parents need to make sure their children are eating good foods (fruits and veggies), drinking milk and water, limiting unhealthy snacks. Fruits make great snacks! Maybe only allow ONE sweet treat after dinner, instead of sweet snacks after every meal. And parents need to make sure their children are active...take them to the park. Make sure they are playing during recess at school; even something as small as walking to the mailbox with them. Parents ARE responsible for their child's weight.
@PastorP (1174)
Greetings giftsandbagscom . First let me say there will be some children with thyroid problems or other problems that my remarks will not relate to. Also, some might be suffering from emotional distress as I did when younger. My first thought was, "yes, but who?" Seems like in some cases that the parents need to be more educated and more involved. Regardless, the parents should do something, instead of waiting for our country to pass more rediculous (sp?) laws. Parents should inspire their children to be physically active (in a good moral sense though).
First off, I think that when determining if a child should be put on a diet it is going to highly depend on the extent that the child is over weight. If a child is just 10-20 pounds overweight, I don't think that it is important to put them on a diet, I feel, however, that they should incorporate more phyiscal activity into their lives. Now, if a child is larger than that, I do think that the child and the parents should have to meet with a nutritionalist. Honestly, I think that the parents have a lot to do with the child being overweight.
@myramae19 (667)
I would say yes. My son loves to eat anything, he always asked for snacks,some times he use to drink 2 glasses of milk before going to bed at night, as a mother i always gives him whats he want, since he's not over weigh so its fine for now. But if the kid is being over weight, I think parents should control them from eating too much, because it will be harder for both parents and the kids. as much as possible we parents should monitor our kids weight for them to grow healthy and in normal weight. I have a neighbor which is her son is over weight, but the mother didn't care about her son's weight, the boy is just 5 years old, but his built is like a big fat man. some day that kid will blame his mom for being too fat. ha ha
@MrKennedy (1996)
Definitely, especially if they are over-weight or have any such health problems. It sets them in good stead for the future and will help them live a healthy and active life-style when they grow up.
@sid556 (31018)
Hi giftsandbags, I see a lot of overweight kids where I work. For some it is just a stage their body is going thru and as they get taller they get slimmer. An awful lot of them are in the store that I work at and buying tons of junk food which contributes to their obesity and is just plain unhealthy. I think it would be difficult to put a kid on a diet really but I do think that if parents would put their foots down and insist that kids eat less junk and more healthy foods that much of the weight would drop off. Another thing that parents could do is to encourage exercise and limit tv and computer time.
@zandi458 (27954)
Children should not be obese in the first place. It is nice to see well fed, and plump children but in the long run if they prolong to be obese it will be dangerous for them.
Yes remember obesity was considered an epidemic just a few years back. If we let our kids eat poison they would, why because they trust us blindly with their lives. So we should watch their diet it might actually kill them down the road if we dont.
well i reckon, kids shouldn't be put into diet for kids needs a lot of nutrients and vitamins as they grow old. the body needs it in the process of building up those muscles, bones and tissues. but for some reason, there are exceptions to that thing for we are all different in metabolic process. some exception are goes to those obese children or those who have illness like those who are diabetic.
@Rvd007 (95)
See as i am kid i know its hard for us to mange diet and i think parents should not force if kid dont want that but its better if a Child is any sports player like Football or cricketer as I am a football player i have my daily diet which contain healthy and tasty food to :D..............but if you are talking about less weight then i think dont give it more impotance if doctor aint said in this matter u better take advise of your family Physician.......so u just go through it..........Regards,
no, I don't believe a child should be knowingly put on a diet for being overweight, but I do believe a balanced diet should be manditory in chilren. Make them eat their veggies weather they want to or not, and keep an eye on what they are eating for snacks and how much. I do believe they parents are mainly to blame for kids being over weight though. They should be teaching their children to have healthy eating habbits.
@katsmeow1213 (28843)
I don't think a child should be put on a "diet" per say, but they do need to be taught (and shown) to make healthier choices and skip the junk food. I notice in a lot of cases that over weight kids tend to have over weight parents. That means the whole family is not eating healthy and not getting exercise. If the parents would adopt a healthier lifestyle, then the children will follow suit. But a fat parent can't expect their child to eat healthy when they themselves are sitting on the sofa eating chips all day. In my house it's the opposite. My kids are all thin and eat very healthy, but hubby and I are overweight and are the junk food junkies. Our secret is that we do not eat the junk in front of the kids. We'll eat normal meals with them, but when we snack between meals it's behind closed doors. We'll usually hide our junk food in our bedroom and munch on it whenever we want. That's all changing now of course. I've adopted a healthier lifestyle and have lost 60 pounds in a bit over 2 months. Hubby is still snacking, but not as much, and he's lost about 20 pounds.
@tap0991 (2767)
kids should just be taught how to eat well and how to actually care about their health.
@adamc151 (479)
If a kid is in need of losing weight then yes i think they should. A diet would fix that problem so why not. However, i think it would be better to encourage more physical activity as doing so will get better results. I think if parents encourage physical activity at a young age then they are more likely to stay active growing up and hence not become overweight as much :D
@AmandaMBF (284)
• Brazil
I think yes. Because is hardest for they stay fat and have many health problems. I have a friend that was put on a diet. She's eleven years old. Her doctor says if she wasn't put on diet she would be die... So I think it's good to put children in a diet were they're just little upper good weight. Because after it'll be a big problem. And my cousin is nutricionist and she says it isn't a problem.