Sharing your special day

@dawnald (84155)
Shingle Springs, California
There are an awful lot of people on this planet and only so many days of the year (no matter which calendar you use). So it's not unheard of that you might find yourself sharing a special day with somebody. My niece Megan was due in early May and my wedding anniversary is on March 27th. So there was no thought of baby when we were getting ready to go out to dinner. Until the phone rang. "The baby's coming, NOW!" I don't even remember if we had dinner (I think we did), but we did spend some of our 5th anniversary at the hospital. So now when we think of our anniversary, we also think of Megan. And maybe on her birthday she thinks of us. Got any shared date stories?
I was born into a relatively small immediate family, as I only have 1 sister. However, my mother was born into a family of 13 children, so I have 41, 1st generation cousins, and god knows how many 2nd cousins by now. With that many birthdays I am kind of lucky, if you think about it that way, to not share my birthday with any of them, though we do have 4 of us on consecutive days, so it's kind of the same thing. Anyway I haven't had to share my birthday with anyone in particular, but when the 9/11 terrorist attacks happened I had to share my birthday with the world. Everyone was in such shock and more than a little paranoid about the events of that day for weeks and months afterward. So imagine having your birthday fall on that day or in my case 9/12. Kinda puts a damper on any celebration you might want to have when 3000 people lost their lives the day before your birthday.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
I only have 26 first cousins. lol You know, I was thinking about 9/11 when I wrote this. I had this co-worker who was pregnant and her baby was born early, on 9/11, a few years after the terrorist attacks. She was distraught. As much as people kept trying to tell her it's just a date, it wasn't just a date to her. Actually, the conversation that got me to think of this discussion was about a sad event too. How much nicer to share a date with a happy occasion...
I'm sure there are actually hundreds of kids that were born on THAT 9/11... I imagine it's worse for their families. Maybe not the kids themselves because they won't really remember. My mom said when I was born there was a volcano that erupted somewhere... Mt. St. Helen's I think... I don't remember it, just what I've been told.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
I remember the Mt. St. Helen explosion. And it was pretty terrifying and did kill some people, but it was an act of nature. Better that than a terrorist attack!
@katsmeow1213 (29023)
I spent my whole life sharing my birthday with Mother's Day. Even though Mother's Day is a different date every year, you normally celebrate birthdays on the weekend, and that would be the weekend of Mother's Day, and every 4 years my birthday would be ON Mother's Day. I grew up with 2 mothers, so that was quite a lot of sharing. It wasn't ever a big deal. Neither of my 2 moms ever did anything special for Mother's Day, they were both unmarried so it wasn't a huge deal, and I always got my party and gifts. Then when I was 16 I got pregnant for the first time. The baby's due date was the day after my birthday. At the time I thought it would be pretty cool to have the baby on my birthday. That was until I went into labor during my birthday dinner! He ended up being born the morning after my 17th birthday... so now both my birthday and my Mother's Day are put on the back burner for him. It's not a big deal, I'm pretty much used to it. It doesn't help that my wedding anniversary is a week before that, so that's usually overlooked as well! That was my own fault though, I mean how stupid were we to get married in May when there's already so much going on?
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
lol timing is everything! I know one person who actually got married on his wife's birthday so that he couldn't forget her birthday or their anniversary...
I bet you he still forgets!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
I hope she whacks him if he does!
@Opal26 (17694)
Hey dawn! I think that's such a sweet story! So your neice was in labor on your anniversary! That is something that is nice to remember! Nope! Nothing wonderful happened on my birthday! I'm not even sure my own birth was worth remembering because my mother has always told me that I was a jack-knife breach! Yup! I came out azz and knees first! Totally backwards and started my life wrong to begin with and my mother was pissed because it hurt! Hence, the blame game until this day! There, I shared!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
My sister-in-law was in labor, my niece was born. :-) Yikes, yeah, I'm sure you were laying there in the womb going "I'm bored, let's turn around and see how much trouble I can cause." No doubt it hurt, but I don't see how your mom can really blame YOU for that.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
My dil who is married to my youngest son & my oldest son have the same birthday.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Hopefully they play nice and don't mind sharing!
@jillhill (37399)
My ex mother in law and I had the same name.....and our birthdays were on the same day! That was about enough to drive me bonkers.....one time I went to use my credit card and it was refused as it had been reported stolen....well it wasn't my card...it was her's that had been reported stolen so that was a mess to get straightened out!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Well that must have been fun (not)... That reminds me of the time we were in Germany. My husband's name is the same as his grandfather's and we were at the church next to his house and saw his grave stone. He said it was really weird to see his own name on a grave. I can't even imagine...
@gabs8513 (48803)
Well first of all Happy Birthday there are a couple of Messages for you on GFP specially for you No I have no special Date Stories so sorry Dear but I have to pass on this one
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
I saw a bunch of messages there and Facebook and Yuwie and a few other places and I got to some of them. The rest will have to wait until (hopefully) tonight! Thanks for the birthday wishes!
hi dawnald well am trying to think, we were married on March 24th which was my half brothers birthday. My son was shared the same birthday as Queen Elizabeth, my son also has the same birthday as his great uncle way back in the 1800s, my great aunt patsy ladd and I share the same birthday, but not the same year.she was born way back there. my own dad never knew that his own grandmother had a sister named Patsy. odd. I am a genealogy buff.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
That is quite a lot of dates. Now as for genealogy, nothing with dates, but my mom was Mabel Jane and so was her grandmother...
@ckyera (17261)
hello dawnald! my cousin's birthday falls on the same date as my parent's anniversary, my new niece shares the same birthday with me... she just born this year. and i think there's still some more shared special days in our family! hehe but on the 20th of this month, my husband & i will be celebrating our 6th year anniversary attending the wedding of one of our friend and we will stand as part of their entourage...hehe excited about it coz its our firt time as well to be a witness/sponsor in a wedding! surely, both of you are remembering each other on that special day! and maybe one time, you can celebrate together!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
That's quite a lot for one family! Yep we do think of each other. Sadly we're a bit too far apart to celebrate together!
@ckyera (17261)
yeah, a lot of double celebrations in the family! i see, but maybe someday you can do it...and by the way, do i read it right? its also your birthday today? or yesterday? huh sorry not that sure about our time difference...hehe but let me greet you a happy birthday and wish you good health and more blessings!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
My birthday was the 12th and thanks! :-)
@MsTickle (25006)
My nephew took his life on my grandson's 18th birthday. It makes an unforgettable memory.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
That is awful. :-( Worse even than somebody dying on your special day...
@MsTickle (25006)
I read somewhere where a lot of elderly people pass away around Christmas and New Year. Wouldn't losing a beloved parent make for sad Christmases to follow?
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
It sure would. or even just being the holidays and your loved one isn't around any more...
@cynthiann (18629)
• Jamaica
Yes, I shared New Year's Eve with all of the staff of the hospital that I was in.The difference was that I was in labour with my second son and they were all whooping it up! I could hear all the cheers and laughter and clink of bottles etc. I was in the U.K.having tis baby and felt so alone. someone would pop in my room now and then to 'check'on me. It was awful and I remember it every New Year.THINKS: I believe that I have already told this story before. I dunno.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
I think you did.... Did you at least make the newspaper? First baby or whatever?
@cynthiann (18629)
• Jamaica
Oh yes, there I was on the front page on the local Newspaper in the U.K. holding my brown baby! The Doctor who delivered him was South African ( apartheid was still very present in South Africa) and he nearly dropped my baby in surprise. He kept saying :"Cheese and Rice" - whilst I was asking if it was a boy or girl. He never actually said 'cheese and rice' but I am sure that you get my drift. It just never occurred for me to tell anyone that my baby would be bi-racial. It went through the very white hospital and very white coastal city like wildfire and he was the centre of attention as all the staff came to look at him
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
@sacmom (14336)
My sister-in-law and her husband's anniversary is on my birthday. And my husband shares his birthday with one of our dogs. LOL My youngest almost shared a birthday with one of my uncles. He wasn't actually due until the 19th. At least I think it was the 19th. It could have been the 18th for all I know. LOL Anyway, while my uncle, as well as some other family members, were visiting back when I was pregnant with my son, this uncle mentioned how he wanted my youngest to be born on his birthday, the 10th. Like I really had any control over it. LOL I don't know if my son overheard this LOL, but the night of the 10th I felt really odd. I was sore and couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did. A few hours later I started having contractions. Although they were light, I knew at that point I was in labor. However, they didn't actually start until a few hours after midnight. Which means my son wasn't going to be born on my uncle's birthday, after all. However, it is close. He was born the next day! LOL Happy mylotting!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
I hope the dog doesn't mind sharing. I almost had my twins on two different days, but it wasn't meant to be...
@sacmom (14336)
Not at all. She loves to share! LOL That would have been cool! Did you hear about the twins that were born in different decades? : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581878,00.html
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Pretty cool. I wonder if there were any over 1999/2000...
Sorry Dawn, but I'm not aware of any duplicate birthdays. My oldest son was supposed to arrive on Father's Day - correction: he was SUPPOSED to arrive three weeks earlier, but once he made up his mind, I wanted him to arrive Father's Day which was 3rd September that year (first Sunday in September). He decided to wait another day and arrived 9.30am Monday. Still, every few years it coincides. A friend of ours married on her birthday (19th January). If she doesn't pop in here I'll let you know who it is, but I don't want to preempt her.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Supposed to arrive! hahaha Babies have other ideas. Actually that's a good discussion idea. How many babies actually arrived on their due dates and stories around that. Dearra was 15 days late and the twins were 15 days early. Nobody was cooperating with what I wanted!
All mine were overdue but I didn't mind. I LOVED being pregnant! (Of course, I loved it when they were born too!)
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Didn't love it didn't hate it, just sort of looked at it as part of the journey....
• Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Dawn, I can relate with your story. We celebrated our first wedding anniversary in the hospital. it's my due date too. our wedding date is june 10. i was brought to the hospital since it's my due date. but i gave birth june 13... i had CS because i have some problems with my pelvis. anyway my husband was there for me all thoughout my delivery struggle. trying to do it the normal way but ended up CS. that is one of our memorable wedding anniversaries together.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep, I'm sure you'll never forget that one!
• Boston, Massachusetts
yes. we always discuss that every wedding anniversary--with the two precious kids we have?!!!they're worth the struggle. a good memory to last for a lifetime
I was the baby of my family by a LOT. My sister had her first baby a couple years after I was born, so I was too young to understand or appreciate having another baby around. When I was about three or four, though, I thought that babies were adorable, and I wanted a baby brother or sister. My parents were not about to have another one and neither was my sister at that point. My aunt was pregnant, though, and I used to go over there all the time and play with my cousins. She had the baby on my birthday, and since I had wanted a baby brother or sister, I thought that the baby was my birthday present! Imagine my disappointment when they told me that we couldn't bring the baby home with us, even though it was born on my birthday and was supposed to be my birthday present.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Too funny, but I bet you at least got to visit each other on your birthday!
Yeah, I remember having at least one combined birthday party when I was younger, and it was a lot of fun. My niece and nephew (brother and sister) were born on the same day two years apart. Apparently, March is a very fertile month for their mother. It was quite hectic when the second one was born on the same day as the older one, though, because she was a week early and they were already in the process of setting up for his birthday party when his sister decided it was time to make an appearance. I guess she just didn't want to miss out on the party, but her brother was not entirely happy about the interruption.
@paula27661 (15900)
It is nice sometimes to think of someone special on an important date such as your niece’s birthday; at least you are sharing your anniversary with someone you care about, wouldn’t it be annoying if it was someone you didn’t like? I can’t think of any special dates that I share with anyone. Years ago I used to share my birthday with a co-worker and my last birthday was on my daughter’s dancing presentation night.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep at least I don't share it with someone I don't like. Or with an unhappy event...
@bunnybon7 (34480)
• Holiday, Florida
well i know when one of my old friends that i hear from now and thens birthday is every year cause my youngest son has the same birthday. my oldest son almost has my birthday, but was born a day after. my oldest daughters birthday is the day before my moms. so even if its a day from you still tend to remember.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
Easy too remember but then there are too many things too close together!
@ElicBxn (60434)
Mostly bad things. Granted Doctor Who started ON my birthday, but with JFK being shot the day before and my dad dying the day after my birthday I do my best to do OTHER things around that time.
@BarBaraPrz (18492)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I was born two days before my father's birthday, so we always shared a cake.
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
My father's birthday is 12 days after mine and my sister's is a week after his, but we all had our own parties.