Do You Use Parental Advisories, Age Reccomendations?

@erikmama (12934)
My sons have a game system.They are 4 and 10 years old. They play the same games together,and after I thought about it today,I think there are some games they wont be playing anymore. The San Andres game i bought is so bad.Cussing for no reason at all, just really bad stuff. So many of these games are terrible for kids. We wacth Fa,mily Guy and Simpsons,too. Am I dooming my kids for life?????? So what about you...do you allow your kids to only watch age recommended shos? What about toys and other items intended for a specific age?
I remember I was so furious when my husband bought San Andres for my 7-yr old daughter. I was so worried this might influence her, in a way. Because as much as possible I want my kid to just play games that is appropriate for her. Much better if its educational.
@erikmama (12934)
Yea, but the violent games are always the ones they are attracted to. Most of the bad games they have were bought my e,so I didnt have much say so at the time.
@cmhjjh (99)
Age reccomendations what a challenging subject. i really do think that it comes down to each family and what they decide. With the video games I just monitor what we buy or rent and usaully me or my husband will paly it first and see if we find it ok for them. TV I don't like them to watch things like Family Guy and Simpsons but I also don't like those shows so that makes it easy. We have really tried to cut back on TV and keep it to age apporiate shows. Now some of the toys we do tend to buy a lot of toys that say age 8 and up for our 4 year old I just don't think the age on them is always the best. Good luck there really is no black and white.
@erikmama (12934)
I allow my kids to watch those shows.I guess we arent your average family! But my kids are well behaved and good mannered children.They just like this kind o stuff. He likes GTA...A little to much but his daddy let him play it.He is still oj though!
@erikmama (12934)
I allow my kids to watch those shows.I guess we arent your average family! But my kids are well behaved and good mannered children.They just like this kind o stuff. He likes GTA...A little to much but his daddy let him play it.He is still oj though
@erikmama (12934)
.
I honestly believe that those ratings are there for parents who are not all that involved with what their kids do for those of us adults who are involved I see them as a suggested age range it really depends on the child and how well the parents communicate with their child I have 5 kids at home my two boys (age 8 and 9) love video games my oldest boy is very good at games and has a very strategical mind the E and T games often dont challenge him he needs to play M rated games in order to be challenged so it is up to dad and I to be there with him talking about the difference between video game and reality and whats appropriate Tv shows are no different I let my kids watch pretty much whatever they want to watch as long as it isnt rated X toys are a little different because they are geared for a specific developmental stage
@erikmama (12934)
I agree parents need to be there talking to their kids.My son watches all those cartoons and has played T and M games,but he is still a good boy and doesnt take it in.He knows it is a game and make believe. I do lke for him to have educational things too of course but I see nothing wrong in these cartoons and video games if it is in good fun!
@Java09 (3085)
San Andreas is a grand theft auto game ,it is rated M for Mature content.I go by the ratings of games.My daughter has her own games and I have mine.I have different rating games for myself and she isn't allowed to play them.I do not watch Family Guy or The Simpsons,I think those are bad cartoons.I don't allow it.They show inappropriate stuff on those shows.I'm a christian and I like apropriate shows that a christian would watch and it's definately not them.
@erikmama (12934)
It is great that you do this, and we need more people who are devoted to Christ. I beleive to the fullest, do my best at living good,but...Never said i a,m perfect! LOL!
I've never been really strict about age guidelines for my children. They are three and seven, by the way. When New Moon came out at the theatre, my daughter wanted to go with me and I decided that I would let her go with me. The movie was PG-13. She enjoyed the movie and didn't take anything bad away from it. We also allow them to watch some of the more risque cartoons. When we see that there are things in them that are questionable, we will discuss why those things don't go on or aren't talked about outside our house.
hi erikmama well since my husband and I did not have computers or such and thus no zillion computer games I guess my poor son grew up deprived but once he got his hands on a computer there was no turning back for him. those were better days back in the 1960ts and 70 ths, not so much for kids to get into game wise.As for television we kept a close eye on what he watched, and as a kid growing up we always picked things recommended for older kids as he was a gifted child and way ahead of others always, in high school he also took junior college courses and once he got us free computers from the men he worked for we were both off and running. I have never in my life enjoyed using a computer so much. such a wide open field for information and for enjoyment too. it cannot be beat.