Tell me about your first car?

@wiccania (3360)
I'm looking to buy a new car. Well, new to me. Can't afford a new car, so I'm looking into a decent used car. Sometimes an older car is better than a newer car, in my experience. My current one is an exception. It was apparently in bad shape when I bought it and I didn't realize. My first car was 1981 Honda Civic. I loved that car. It was 15 years old when I got it, but it ran great and it was just the right amount of car for me. When I got my current car, I actually found one exact same year, make and model but it was a wagon. I would have bought it but it needed an alternater and I didn't have the money for the car AND and alternator. Now I'm looking again, and I come across the exact same year, make and model of my SECOND car ever. A 98 Toyota Corolla. I'm seriously leaning towards it, but this time I'm springing for a carfax beforehand and having someone check it out before I leap. So what was your first car ever? What was your favorite car ever?
@sacmom (14315)
I never had a first car. I had to share my mom's. LOL It was an '85 Dodge Aires. My favorite car would have to be my current car. A 2000 Nissan Pathfinder. My husband and I can't afford new cars either, and only bought this car October of last year, so it was already 9 years old when we got it. Even though we've only had it for about 3 months it's the best car we've ever owned. My husband and I are quite pleased with it so far. As far as a carfax goes, I can't say that it'll guarantee you from getting a lemon. Sure it can help if something has been reported, like an accident, but sometimes they can go unreported. I happened to get a carfax with my last car as I wanted to play it safe. When it needed engine work (6 months after we got it ), my husband took it to a garage to get it diagnosed. One of the workers there told him that the back of the car didn't match up with the rest of it. So, we can only assume it had been in an accident and it was fixed sometime before we bought it. Yet, the carfax as well as the title said they were clean. I hope you are able to get a good reliable car and for a good price. Good luck!
@wiccania (3360)
True, the carfax report doesn't guarantee that I'll get all the info on the car, but repair shops do log the vin number when they do work on a car, and any of that work has to be reported. Along with any reported accidents. Of course if the person who owned it was a "let me try and fix it myself" person that won't be on the report, but I found out about a year after getting my car that the frame had been bent in an accident. I'd like to prevent that particular issue again.