The harvest festival.

We are celebrating Pongal, which is our harvest festival. It is one of the biggest festivals in South India. It is a form of thanks giving to the SunGod for the bountiful produce which the farmers got in the year. There are three days of the festival, the first day, 14 January is the first day of the Tamil month, and it is Pongal,where the sun god is thanked and sweet rice and sweet porridge is made, and the second day is 15th today, where the cows and bullocks are decorated and puja is done to them, as a thanksgiving, for all the milk and other things. The final day is tomorrow, where all the people dress up in their finery and go out and enjoy themselves. Some of the people still take out the old type Bullock carts on this day. Even the police do not stop these kind of transport for this day alone.Do you have any festival like this, and when do you celebrate it?
The pongal is to celebrate the success of farmers and those who helped the farmers to achieve the harvest is being thanked /prayed. Tamil month starts in April as per the ancient tradition. The third day in olden days friends and relative will meet each other by visiting their houses and greeting them. Also poets will visit houses and they will sing their songs. They will be gifted. The workers/ Agricultural laborer with fruits, coconut, Betal leaves and Nutss will visit their Masters House as a mark of respect. They will be honored by the Masters.
Thanks for the information venkatachary. My new year also starts only on April 14, and not in January 14. I am a great follower of traditions, and no politician is going to make me change my Newyear to January 14.
Thanks. We can not forget our fore fathers. They were great people. They had very good brain. Without a bus, a plane,they travelled by legs. Great monuments were built by them that we can not think.
@ElicBxn (60810)
I think you might say that state fairs in the U.S. are kind of harvest festivals here. Not quite the same thing, but they do things like show the 4H animals and stuff. I've always been a city gal, so I never got into the more country stuff like state fairs - which the Texas state fair is held in the Dallas area and that's a LONG way from Austin. I also never got into the rodeo stuff, that is held here in like March - and that's early spring here. Nope, I'm a city gal, the closest thing to a "harvest festival" we do even in the city in the U.S. is Thanksgiving at the end of November. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have family - probably not much... Last year I went to my brother's girlfriend's with him and my mom and then afterward I went out to my roomie's folks to pick her up and at a bit more - but I really did good not eating too much.
There is a similarity between your rodeo and our 'bull taming', which is also a part of the harvest festival. Here young men try to tame a wild bull by holding its horns and hump, and make it kneel in front of them. Mind you they do it in bare hands, and they do not even have any rope or anything like that, every thing is in bare hands only.
@ElicBxn (60810)
That sounds more like just one event at a rodeo - the "bulldogging" or Steer wrestling event http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steer_wrestling I prefer jumping events to any rodeo events... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_jumping
• Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Ramesh, Happy Pongal Day Celebration! We have the same here in our country too. We used to celebrate it during Summertime. it's also full of vegetables and fruits. farmers are so proud of their harvest and it's really a heart-warming festival seeing all the blessings given to us. blessings that are fruits of our labor!
Thanks for the wishes francisco. It is really nice to know that people all over the world know our festival and wish us.
• Boston, Massachusetts
we are all happy for all the blessings bestowed upon us. and it's really great to have a big celebration about this. a simple greeting is excellent enough to recognize each others special event. so..more harvest for the coming year okay?!!
very well said my friend.... one thing i would like to mention here is that similar to south India, north India celebrates Sankranti as a harvest festival. Not only this baisakhi is celebrated in Punjab in similar mood.
Nice of you to respond sanjeevsingh. Let me welcome you to mylot and wish you all the best here.
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi rameshkumaar, Happy Pongal, and I was reading about this on another site this morning. I saw some pictures and really enjoyed the article. It brought back memories of when I was a boy and some of the celebrations we would have. I find nothing like it here anymore and I think you are very fortunate to have such times. Blessings.
Thank you very much for your wishes Pose123. I also hope to download some pictures of Pongal shortly.
@rose66 (380)
that's a lively festival. i saw that in an indian film many years ago, but i didn't know that was Pongal that time. we don't have such a big festival around the whole country. but in different places they have different festivals during the harvest period, such as the grape festival or the cherry festival in my hometown. it lasts for one month , you can go to the mountain to pick up the grapes or cherries by yourself .
So nice to hear that you can go to the mountains and pick up Grapes and cherries.Pongal is not celebrated througout India, but it is a very big festival in South India.
@eshaan (6193)
we don't celebrate it in north India, but i have heard about it in many parts of the country people celebrate it...and i like the concept behind it...in Maharashtra, the same type of festival was celebrated...it was called 'Pola'....when the bullocks were decorated and they were given good food and they were also offered pooja...
Yes in Tamilnadu also we decorate the bulls by painting their horns and give them good food and offer pooja.Today is the day "Mattu Pongal" or Cattle Pongal is celebrated.
@Galena (9123)
that sounds great. ours is sort of the other end of the year, due to our climate. I have three festivals. the first is to celebrate the harvest of grain crops, the second is for fruit, and the third is at the time of the year when animals would once have been slaughtered, keeping only the healthiest through winter to breed from the following year, and the rest being used for food through winter. there are several months between them all. each of them is an occasion for having lots of good food with family.