Were You Drunk When You Walked Down The Aisle? I Was Sober...Amazingly!

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
There weren't many witnesses at our wedding, just close family members, that was it. We were also married abroad which meant our friends (and some family) couldn't make it...so a month later we had a late wedding reception, complete with me in my dress and hubby in his suit...and danced the night away, getting very drunk in the process. It was a great night!But on the wedding day itself, I can honestly say I was extremely nervous...but sober. Fancy that lol. Hubby, on the other hand, confessed afterwards, that he'd "downed nearly a bottle of bubbly" his parents had inflicted on him. Luckily, I didn't notice during the ceremony...but on some of the photos he's smiling more than he would do normally lol. Bless 'im, he was scared I wouldn't turn up so I can't say I blame him for drinking in order to calm his nerves. One thing I do remember vividly about the day was that I had a bath in the hotel room (as opposed to a shower, although I did use that to wash my hair) and it was one of those very deep baths. Didn't think anything of it when I was in there pampering myself...but the controls for the bath were on THE WALL! Haha! Bearing in mind I'm only 5ft 4ins tall, it was a nightmare reaching for these controls to switch them off. I was panicking that I might drown!
@ElicBxn (60884)
My brother got married at his wife's folk's church in Houston. All the guests for him were the 3 of us (mom, dad, and me - my sister was in the wedding party) my uncle and aunt (mom's brother and wife) our great-aunt (mom's father's sister), a couple of my folk's friends and their son and his wife. The only other person there was my bro's best friend at the time as his best man - who almost didn't make it because he had been drinking the night before. The rest of the groom's men were brothers or something of the bride's. Now, the bride's folks were doctors in Houston. They had LOTS of friends. I mean LOTS and LOTS of friends. When the ushers tried to seat some on the "groom's" side of the church some of them protested. Granted, ALL of the groom's guest only filled the first 2 pews! I don't remember who intervened, but they settled down and when I glanced back, there were some people sitting on that side of the church - probably those that DIDN'T protest... I think the marriage only lasted 10 years because my brother wanted to wait until his daughter was old enough to understand why it was happening - as lovely a girl as she is, it should've ended before she was born!
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Thank you for your entertaining post, it's much appreciated. This is why I'm quite relieved (in a way) that my brother never married the Geordie mother of his child. I was surprised they even lasted long enough to HAVE a child. It so turns out she's still at the house, but they both do their own thing. Fortunately, my nephew is now old enough to be more independent...it must've done his head in when he was younger because he was NEVER placed first in that family.
@ElicBxn (60884)
ya know, I have met families like that - at least both of them seemed to put my niece ahead of a lot of other things - the reason my brother left was because his ex was a crazy woman and would hit or throw things at him and he didn't want her growing up in a house where violence sometimes happened. The ONLY time he ever hit her, she hit him first and it was in front of her best friend who was a protective service worker - she turned and complained "he HIT me!" to which her friend said - without looking up - "you hit him first" That was ALSO the last time she hit him because he moved out 3 months later - after she got back from a train trip to France - ahh - she was doing the training not the other way around...
• Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Jane, at least he's able to manage his feelings and thanks for that bubbly bottle. you and your husband had great memories of your wedding even up to taking a bath in that deep tub. i had a solemn wedding. we were both prepared and calm hehehehe. all the guests were teary-eyed as i marched the aisles. they said the ceremony was extremely great and i was so beautiful then. LOL. of course, me and my husband feel we are in heaven...we are floating while marching. it's a different kind of feeling Jane.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Different culture isn't it my friend? We did have a traditional ceremony as opposed to an extremely modern one with no meaning (in my view at any rate) and I did cry...a lot! It was a lovely day and one I shall never forget
• Boston, Massachusetts
yes. different culture but one best and lasting memorable event that will always be fresh in our minds and hearts. it also cried during my wedding same with my husband. you just can't help it. but of course it was a happy tears.