It's winter and what's a wild food gatherer to do? Watch a winter wild food vid-

@writersedge (22579)
eo on youtube. There are a few there. Winter Edible part 1 Winter Edible Part 2 Winter Wild Edibles were the three I found. So would you go get wild food in the winter? So far I've only had pine needles in winter. I liked the Canadian Pine needles best. They're great, I just sucked on them raw. White pine tasted a little like turpentine to me, but that may have been because I tried them in summer. Trees are supposed to be better before the weather becomes more than 50 degrees out. Maybe I'll check out more needles.
@Canellita (12058)
Pine needles? Ugh! Maybe you should plan ahead and try and dry or can what you can find before winter sets in for the future. You could also save seeds and try and scatter them in your back yard and see what happens.
@writersedge (22579)
Saving seeds, good idea, but for winter, sprouting them and eating the sprouts would provide winter food. Thanks for responding and take care.
@Canellita (12058)
Honey, I am never going to be that hungry or that stranded, lol. I guess that is why I live where I live. No woods or wilderness around. If I gather, it will be from my container garden. I wouldn't trust anything else.
@writersedge (22579)
During the 1998 Ice Storm up here, most people couldn't go anywhere for 2 to 6 weeks depending on where they lived. We had food for 4 weeks stockpiled and we only were standed 2 weeks. During the Depression, my Dad was passing out all the time. He didn't have enough food. He ate some berries and frog legs, but that was too little. If he had known more, I don't think his learning disabilities would be sooo servere. I'm sure Linda Runyon never thought her husband would leave her, and that she would have to use all that she learned to live. I ran out of money and kept stopping at rest areas and kept eating wild food. Glad you're sooo sure that you will never need this knowledge. I had a friend who made $40 thousand a year and lost her job when our state down-sized. She kept complaining that she was hungry. I offered to show her and she didn't want to know. Fine, stay hungry. Some of the students I've had, have been as hungry as my Father was. City people during the depression, many were starving. Most Country people weren't. My Dad lived on one acre, he was hungry. My Mother lived on 100 acres, she wasn't. Glad you have a container garden. I've been trying to get people interested in that, too. In my area, if the Democrats hadn't increased food stamps, half the people I know would be starving. It may look like a recession where you are, but it's turning into a depression for many parts of NY State. People in my family who've had jobs all their lives won't have any in February and who knows when or if they'll ever have another job again if things don't turn around.
As a child I used to break the dried sap off the pine trees and if it was just right you could chew it as gum. Ofcourse there is all kinds of nuts and certain barks. I would think that Spring would be best because of the sprouts and herbs that are peeping up after the big freeze. Yams, and such.
Cat tails, huh? Interesting. The roots or? The others you mention aren't of much interest to me. Don't have them in this area. I like rootbeer. The maple syrup isn't very good to me. Don't find much in this neck of the woods. I would love to find some horehound. Love that stuff! Thanks.
@writersedge (22579)
Cat tails are called the supermarket of the swamp. Each part is edible at different times of the year. Finding cat tails they aren't poluted by oil, gas, salt, etc. from cars is the challenge. Search wild edibles cat tails or foraging cat tails, you'll find plenty.
I really had no idea. I will have to check in to it.