How do you remember to take your vitamins?

Everyday I take a prenatal vitamin - I'm not pregnant anymore - but I still need to take them because I am nursing my baby. I prefer to take them with or after breakfast otherwise my stomach will hurt taking them on an empty stomach. But while juggling to make breakfast, feed my older daughter, while my baby is crying, etc etc doing a million things all at once, I forget if I took my vitamin or not! And then I just don't take it - because I don't want to double dosage of vitamins if I did already take it. So now, I just pull out a vitamin first thing in the morning, and put it on the counter away from where my daughter can reach it - and place it near the drinking water. So if it's not there, I know I took it!! How do you remember to take your vitamins?
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
I don't know, usually I just remember. When I finish my breakfast, I usually have about half a cup of tea left and I use it to wash my vitamins down. Sometimes on the weekend when I have a change in routine, I forget.
Well, since I have little ones who need me about the same time each morning, I am literally chugging down whatever breakfast I grab from the kitchen - so I am usually running on mommy brain - and forget whether I actually took it or not. That's why I need to routine is sticking on the counter so I can see it!! I would love to have some tea to wash it down with - but no caffeine for me as I'm nursing!
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
Lately I've been drinking ginger tea, so no caffeine here!
Ah - I remember ginger tea when I was pregnant - to try to keep the nauseousness at bay! I think I had triple ginger tea (from Whole Foods) - delicious and seriously gingery!
@cher913 (25897)
i have our vitamins in our kitchen, so when i go to eat breakfast i remember to take mine and also give my daughter hers. (it is right near the sink).
That's great you remember for your daughter too! I have my vitamin in the kitchen too, but that doesn't help me - hee hee. I have to physically take one vitamin out where I can see it so I know whether I took it or not. If my daughter were taking vitamins, maybe I would remember better too.
It's been a while since I have taken vitamins. However, I have found that the best time for me to take anything has always been right before I go to bed. The reasoning for this is that is the one time of the day that I have a specific routine. When you are following a routine it is far easier to add a little something to the routine that you are following. For example, I take a pill every night before bed time so I do that just before I go to the bathroom. I realize if I've forgotten it because I have to take a drink of water as soon as I get into the bathroom to get the pill down.
I'm usually a pretty routine person, but somehow my mommy brain takes over when I'm doing stuff in the morning for me and the kids . . . and then I'm not completely sure if I took the vitamin or not. This week however, I have been better about taking the vitamin as I routinely check this discussion - hee hee.
@squaretile (3835)
It's great that you're still taking vitamins because you are nursing. I am also nursing and I try to keep my calcium intake up because I know that the baby is leeching calcium off my bones! Are you taking folic acid? or just a multivite for pregnant and lactating mums? I used to take DHA fish oil pills when i was expecting but they were really pricey so i stopped after i gave birth. it's a good reminder to keep the vitamins where you can see them, and get into a routine so you are less likely to forget. For me, I try to drink some fresh milk every evening because drinking milk in the morning upsets my tummy. mums are real busy people so hang in there!
Hi squaretile! Yep, it's a prenatal multivitamin - taken once a day. Folic acid is in it, though I wonder if it's essential for nursing moms - I know it is for pregnant moms for less chance of certain birth defects. I ate those DHA / Omega 3 / organic eggs - they were pricey too - so I'm back to regular cheap eggs. Are you lactose intolerant? I was for a long time, but little by little I brought my tolerance level back. I try not to have milk with my vitamin as iron is less absorbed with there is calcium - I need that iron! Happy nursing to you!!
@surfette (674)
My husband and I are retired and want to stay healthy so we take our vitamins every day. We take three different vitamins, Beta Carotene, B12 complex and vitamin C. When it's supper time, my husband always sets them out on our napkins with a glass of water. It's always best to take vitamins with food and at supper time it seems to agree with our stomachs the best too.
That's so sweet that your husband sets them out for you both! I was told to take vitamins in the evening too if it upset my stomach. But I'm more alert in the mornings to even remember to take them - hee hee. Happy retirement to you folks - stay healthy!