So many Personal Messages addressing the issue -

@Trensue (5265)
I live in Utah. I am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am not here to cut them down, lift them up, or judge them. It is not my thing. In Utah I believe I have met equal amounts of hypocrites in each religion I have come in contact with. So live and let live and don't make assumptions - it bugs me!
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
There are good people and bad people in every religion, country, political affiliation, race, language group, etc. You just don't know until you get to know the person...
@Trensue (5265)
That was my whole point.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yesm, I was restating...
@Canellita (12059)
Have you seen the movie "Goya's Ghosts?" It is more about the Catholic church than about Goya and his art. It was very interesting from a political perspective but I am tired of that perspective (I watched last night) and I found the movie disturbing. It brought up some other issues though with religion...
@Trensue (5265)
no - should I see it?
@Canellita (12059)
I don't know. It's a little disturbing with the parts on the Spanish Inquisition and what happens to this one character and other parts will make you angry with regards to the perpetrators. You know the not so Christian stuff done by high ranking members of the Catholic church and the politics and the stuff they got away with. It did make me wonder if any of the characters besides Goya were based on real people because that would put everything into even more of an historical context. It kind of made me think about how extreme and perverted "belief" can be. Are people just perpetuating a rumor and they don't think about it too deeply or do they really believe and believe in what they are doing? Some of it is downright sadistic and I guess that is what pi$*ed me off because of the reality of the cruelty that MAN has inflicted on others in the name of something that represents anything BUT love in any sense. I was thinking about how people take these very absolute positions and yet overlook that fact that if they are right then God is wrong and imperfect and a maker of mistakes. I guess it is a good thing I wasn't alive back then since I would have been "put to the question," seen as a heretic and burned for being a witch or something. At least in the movie that sadistic ba$t*rd got what he deserved. The movie wasn't horrific it just upset me. I was expecting something that had more to do with Goya himself and less with the church and its crimes and the French revolution and Napoleon's invasion of Spain and the killing of aristocrats, etc. I guess I am sick of opression and the pseudo-omnipotence of Christianity and all the harm that has been done in the name of Jesus, God and Country. I wanted a nice movie, lol, that would give me more insight into Goya and his art.
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
Hello, Trensue. Whenever you question what's going on in your life, the God Botherers feel they have to come out and tell you what their particular code recommends. They think God can sort everything. Perhaps He can, perhaps He can't, but that's no sort of comfort or solution to you, is it? Most of these people also assume that when things go wrong, it's a direct or indirect result of something we've done wrong - the wages of sin, if you like. What they don't seem to realise is that life isn't that cut and dried - wouldn't it be great if it was? I have a friend who is a Mormon, and she's the most tolerant, understanding person you could ever hope to meet, because her faith is combined with humanity and practicality. I'll parcel her up and send her out to you for a few days.
@Trensue (5265)
I have met lots of wonderful people as well and I am glad you have a great friend.
@JodiLynn (1417)
was this just a rant, or was there a conversation starter in there and I missed it?
@Trensue (5265)
Perhaps it was just a rant and I really didn't know where to put it. I suppose I am hopeful that it would stop people from sending me some intense pm - you are probably correct and this was probably not the right format. Sorry to have wasted your time.