can you tell when people are just telling you the things that you want to hear?

can you tell if they're just telling you the things that you want to hear just because they wanted to get to the good side of you or to make up for something, or just because they think you can't handle the truths that they hold inside their heads? what do you do then?
@megamatt (14331)
Well there are times when people are blatantly obvious about it. Telling me such things in such an overly patronizing way that I really cannot take what they are saying with anything other than this. I just try and prod and ask more questions. Hopefully the truth will break after that. Most of the time it is hard to tell.
I'm going to try it your way! :D thanks for sharing, i appreciate your time. :)
@laglen (19779)
As soon as I can tell somebody is blowing smoke, I tune them out. If I ask you a question, I want the truth.
I'd like that too. Thanks for telling me, it helps to know that I'm not alone. ;)
@Java09 (3080)
I can tell because most people do that.they want to be impressive but don't mean what they say and they don't want you to know that they don't mean what they say.I can pretty much tell,because I've heard all throughout my life.
i know right? what is hard to find out if it's doing it out of respect or out of fear. and for me, either way it's unreasonable. *sigh* thanks for sharing, i appreciate your time. :D