Do you have a poinsettia plant?

@cianoy (513)
I wrote this short entry on Poinsettias. I was wondering if we have some Myloters that also care for these plants and may have experiences to share. My plant seems anemic. Caring for Poinsettias About a week ago, I ate mangoes from the fridge and followed the materials I got about drying the shell and making the seed grow roots. No, the picture in this entry is not that mango seed. While I'm waiting for that project to bear fruit so to speak, I'll switch gears and talk about Poinsettia care. I have one inside the house and for some reason it keeps shedding leaves. In fact, I don't see any red leaves anymore. So I figured, maybe this isn't an indoor plant after all. It seems sun starved or something. Here's what I found: Pointsettias should have around 6 hours of indirect sunlight. There you go; it's not an indoors plant. I found that if you keep it in the dark, it will shed leaves. Well, that's exactly what happened. It should be kept away from hot and cold equipment and places (heaters, open windows, etc). It's sensitive to temperature. Fertilize once or twice a month Keep the soil moist. Poke your finger into the soil to test for moisture. After my readings, I placed my plant outdoors in our greenhouse like area. Let's see if the red leaves come back in a couple of weeks. http://cianoy.blogspot.com/2010/01/caring-for-poinsettias.html
my mom is just recently starting one. since she came to live with us about a couple of months ago, i was able to convince her to stop working at my sister's store and canteen and just stay at home and relax. but my mom found a way to keep her hands busy. she's amazing with plants. she's now taking care of my orchids and dancing ladies. she was able to get her old euphorbias to bloom once again. and recently, she had violet hibiscus and poinsettia cuts. 3 days ago, my mom showed me a couple of budding leaf in the poinsettia plant. quite exciting because for a long time i wanted to have a poinsettia at home. i imagined poinsettias to love the sun because of the vividness of the red color. i'll keep note of your observations and suggestions for future reference for my mom. thanks!
@cianoy (513)
It looks like your mom has a real green thumb. Where does she keep her poinsettias? For a while, we kept ours under the sun and it wilted. We put it indoors and it shed leaves. So now, we put it outside in a greenhouse like area.
it's still in the early budding stage. she has it amongst the rescued ailing rose and the blooming euphorbias. the poinsettia has about a couple of budding leaves just peeking thru. it has enough sun, but it also has enough shade. to early to tell yet if the poinsettia will come thru but i'm hoping it will. i love it as a christmas plant back when i was a kid. i didn't know it's possible to have it before or beyond christmas. hehe my mom has a way with plants that's why i encouraged her to keep the hobby rather than tire herself out in the store and canteen. she likes to keep busy so sometimes she helps me out in drying malunggay leaves and her camias also.
know what? my mom is excited over the 3rd bud of her poinsettia. the first bud has 3 leaves already, about an inch each. the second is coming on for about a centimeter. and then she just showed me the 3rd one a few minutes ago. i think the plant will really pull thru. hehehe and i told her of your observations and some pointers.
Poinsettias - I use Poinsettias that grow in my garden to deocrate my Xmas candle
Poinsettias grow well in my garden. They get those red leaves here around Christmas time. The only problem I have is of some mildew on them but after a spray of Bavistin they become alright. I propagate them by cuttings. I also use them to decorate my Xmas candle. The image here is an arrangement I have made.
@cianoy (513)
Pretty good arrangement. Hey, how did you post a picture? I didn't know that was possible. Tell me more about the cuttings. I'm not sure how that's done.
One gets the privilege to upload images in responses after one reaches 500 points. So hurry!
@cianoy (513)
Oh, I didn't know that. I'm still so far off.
I love the redness of pointsettias but I don't have them. I am not sure if it will grow in our place considering that our place is mostly hot. I enjoy looking at the poinsettia. Wishing you a good and happy day. Happy mylotting too.
@cianoy (513)
I was in the seedling shop yesterday. The attendant was telling me that some varieties can take direct sunlight. So maybe some will grow in your area.
Thanks for sharing in great details, i had some of this, i love the pinkish red color, but the plants are no more. HAPPY VALENTINE DAY.
i don't have a poinsettia plant,but i have read an article about poinsettias which left a deep impression on me.And since then i have known that poinsettias are a part of traditional celebration on Christmas in The United State. Poinsettias has a lot of colours include red, purple,pink,while and so on,among which the red is the best-selling. Red poinsettias are very beaautiful.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
I have had thisplant before..I have saved it from one year to another by putting it in the closet, a dark place during the winter months and then bring it back out later the next year.. Its been so many years that I have done this so I don't even remember how long I left it in the closet but I do know that all the leaves were off and was just stem...But when I did bring it out again and started to water it again it did bloom in the same beautiful leaves again... My grandmother taught me how to care for it,,,but like I said it was so many years ago...