Why dose my cat keep trying to eat random wired things like plastic?

@apples99 (6564)
I kind of have an idea why, but I'd like to hear what you think because I'm not sure. ok here's what my cat dose, he tries to eat foil or plastic raping paper sometimes, and I try to prevent this behavior by throwing away any lose plastic rap or foil paper in my apartment One theory I have is that maybe he thinks the plastic is like the grass out side, so I bought him a small pack of cat grass at the pet store, its just like the kind out side but safer and I planted it but my cat seemed like he didnt know what to do with it, in fact he dragged the entire plant down the steps spilling it all over the floor, so at this point I'm not real sure why my cat wont eat the grass or why he prefers plastic instead. Why do you think my cat dose this? and keep in mind that my cat is an indoor cat and its been a really long time since my cat has been completely out side.
There are several reasons mentioned here as to why the cat could be chewing on the plastic or foil. However, one of the psychological reasoning is your cat may have been weaned too early. Cats who are weaned too early still have that 'need' for Mama Cat's teat, to suckle and feel comforted. If your cat was weaned before four weeks of age, this is highly possible. However, if the cat was weaned on time, then there are other reasons. Some of the others have stated boredom. If the cat is bored, try to find it something to do. Entice it with a fishing rope toy, a flicker ball, or an electronic toy mouse to chase. Buy a potted plant of cat nip too. And if the cat has a lack of mineral and vitamin deficiency, I advise going to your local pet store and buying him a cat food that has the extra minerals and vitamins. My cat is on By Nature cat food, and it contains no soy, no wheat, and no corn, and it's the only cat food she can eat(She's allergic to all the rest for some reason). Ever since I put her on this cat food, which was a year ago, she has been quite healthy and has few issues. Other than the fact she acts like a dog. As for your cat, try to get figure a solution out by keeping your cat away from plastic and foil. Keep it thrown away in a sealed container and behind closed cabinets. Don't let him eat or chew on them as it'll make him sick and could seriously injure him. Good luck to you!
some cats have a disorder called PICA - they will try to eat objects, plants or even their cat litter. From what I've read, there are various causes for it, from medical problems, deficiences in diet, stress, boredom or just looking for attention. The main treatment is to first make sure there is no medical reason for it, then keep the objects out of their reach, and distract them with play or give them lots of attention. One good suggestion I read if your cat likes to eat plants is to remove the plant and give them access to catnip or greens specifically for cats that you grow fresh and let them graze on. I wish you good luck.
@Tallygirl09 (1385)
Does he actually try to eat it or is he chewing on it? He might like the new smells or be bored with his toys. You didn't mention if he has any toys so not sure if he does or not. He likely gets bored when you are away so if no toys, try getting him a few or if he has toys, maybe he's bored with them. What I do is rotate their toys, they each have 1 out at a time and I switch em out every few days. At one point they had like 10 toys and they were all over the house and they played with none of them. Now when I switch em out, they act like it's a new toy every time plus it gives me a chance to keep them clean. I tried the cat grass with my indoor kitties and had the same result,,a big mess.. How old is he since as others have mentioned, he might need a quick Vet check up for his teeth. Do you feed him wet food or dry? All wet food tho they love it isn't ideal for their teeth. Be Well!!
Usually cats chew on thing like that looking for a mineral that they are deficient in. They think that by eating odd things that it will supplement what they need. The fact is that only a high quality pet food will provide this, so no matter what kitty thinks his problem will not get any better by chewing on the plastic. Suggest you take kitty to the vet, have him checked out to make sure that he has not swallowed any of the plastic that may block his intestine, consult with the vet about the best food for him and put all the plastic away so that he can not find it. And a good treat and/or toy would be most appreciated by your fur baby.
@donsky14 (5963)
Maybe the plastic or paper smells like food thats why your cat is trying to eat it or something.
@kaylachan (4776)
Sometimes cats are attracted to certin smells. For example we use foil and plastic wrap to wrap food. The smell gets transfered onto thease objects and it sticks. The cat then tries to eat the plastic because he or she thinks there is food on it. If you have not used the foil or plastic for food purposes, then the behavior sticks because they realize that it's primery use is to cover food stuff. So even if they may not smell the food, they tear it up in hopes of finding some.
@thyst07 (2091)
My cat also likes to chew on plastic, such as grocery bags. So far the only way I've found to prevent it is to make sure that there are no grocery bags or other plastic items in her reach. I've done some reading about what could be the cause of the problem. So far, the possibilities I've come up with are: Boredom Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder Nutritional deficiencies I'm fairly certain that my cat doesn't have any nutritional deficiencies. I think that boredom is probably the culprit in my cat's case. The best thing I can suggest is just to keep all plastic out of reach of your cat. If your cat is actually eating and swallowing the plastic or other foreign objects, then you might want to see a veterinarian.
• Spain
How old is your cat? Maybe he needs something chewy because of hes teeth aching. Check for bleeding gums or loose stool. Also it can be the smell of the plastic that he is attracted to. Does he eat any plastic? or just one kind? Maybe he smells food or cat nip in the foil and or plastic. Try getting him some cat nip toys to keep him distracted, and check he´s teeth for any swelling, blood or anything unusual. If you don't see anything, take him to the vet, there they will help you better in how to train your kitty to eat food and not random things.